define R6 led question:

Windows95

they give you a power LED and an HDD led

my question is.. if I plug both at the same time, isnt it kinda pointless? if I plug the power led one then it will be on all the time, so it doesn't matter if I plug the HDD LED on or not

so I asume if I want HDD LED activity I have to leave the power LED off and viceversa?

also: is there a way to get SSD LED activity?

I don't remember the exact LED behavior of the define series but what I do remember is that it's not pointless to plug them both in.

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

is there a way to get SSD LED activity?

The SSD is seen as the hard drive on whatever board you're using. There used to be a problem with m.2 drives not being detected for LED behavior but on newer motherboards that shouldn't be a problem.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The Define series uses the same LED for power as HDD activity. The difference is the HDD activity causes the light to turn off, rather than have a dedicated HDD led to turn on. Sorta like how some car tail lights use the brake light as a turn signal instead of having a separate light for it.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

24 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

they give you a power LED and an HDD led

my question is.. if I plug both at the same time, isnt it kinda pointless? if I plug the power led one then it will be on all the time, so it doesn't matter if I plug the HDD LED on or not

so I asume if I want HDD LED activity I have to leave the power LED off and viceversa?

also: is there a way to get SSD LED activity?

My define s2 dims the led with hdd activity, so when theres activity it seems to "pulse" irregularly.

35 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The Define series uses the same LED for power as HDD activity. The difference is the HDD activity causes the light to turn off, rather than have a dedicated HDD led to turn on. Sorta like how some car tail lights use the brake light as a turn signal instead of having a separate light for it.

so basically i plug hdd led cable in power led slots annd leave the 2 small power led cables disabled?

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

so basically i plug hdd led cable in power led slots annd leave the 2 small power led cables disabled?

No. Plug everything in as you normally would. When the HDD is active, the Power led will flicker off instead of flickering on. 

are you sure about that. my R5, R6, Mini C and Nano S all pulse the light brighter when the HDD is active

@yaboistar honestly, no I'm not sure. I thought the Define C's i worked with did that, but I worked with them briefly and didnt get a good chance to really study the power LED flickering. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25