How do I put windows + files on my new NVME?

NeuraCode

Hi, I am a lucky winner of a 970 evo 2TB. Currently running on a 660p Intel NVME. Now my one issue is that I haven't got a clue on how to keep all my files. I was hoping to get all my files over to the 970 evo SSD and use the 660p as extras. Anyone has a guide to share?

1 minute ago, NeuraCode said:

Hi, I am a lucky winner of a 970 evo 2TB. Currently running on a 660p Intel NVME. Now my one issue is that I haven't got a clue on how to keep all my files. I was hoping to get all my files over to the 970 evo SSD and use the 660p as extras. Anyone has a guide to share?

You could try cloning the drive, but even if done properly; it can still cause issues.

Doing a fresh Windows install on the new SSD is the best idea. Of course back up your files from the other SSD.

Moving over files is just a simple plug in a hard drive and move over files, programs often can't be just dragged over to another PC, as their supporting files may be located elsewhere. Reinstalling programs is thus the best idea.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

22 hours ago, minibois said:

You could try cloning the drive, but even if done properly; it can still cause issues.

Doing a fresh Windows install on the new SSD is the best idea. Of course back up your files from the other SSD.

Moving over files is just a simple plug in a hard drive and move over files, programs often can't be just dragged over to another PC, as their supporting files may be located elsewhere. Reinstalling programs is thus the best idea.

that is the cleanest way to install it, just remember to enable nvme and not sata in bios, and put it in an m2 port that supports pcie. 

Disconnect the current disk so it don't try to boot from it. or accidently delete the partitions. 

to find the media and install guide use this link https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

Download the correct drivers before you start install. put them on the install USB, or a USB you can have handy for the install.

Do not enter license key, just log in with your normal user if you have it online enabled. it should manage to reactivate then. 

after installation you can connect the old drive and start moving things over to your new drive. 

Most games installed from steam uplay etc, you can install the client program and search for installed files so you don't need to download everything again.