Does the amount of RAM affect overclocking RAM??

Go to solution Solved by porina,

Capacity is only indirectly applicable, in that the number of modules, and/or the rank of the modules tend to go up to achieve higher total capacity. Both those could affect the overclocking limit of the ram in a given system. All else being equal, one module per channel of single rank ram is most likely to reach highest speeds. Running dual rank module, and/or two modules per channel may limit that.

Unless you need the fastest possible ram for some reason (competitive overclocking) it doesn't make a big difference even if you have a bit of a speed difference from ram configuration.

Note I found having more than one rank per channel gives an improvement to performance at a given speed/timing. This can be either by multiple modules or within a single module. If max performance is the goal it isn't necessarily achieved by max speed.

I am overclocking my overkill of vengeance lpx 3000MHz c15 16gbx4 and I just wanted to know if the amount of RAM your trying to overclock matters at all? I think the answer is no, but I just wanted to make sure because I have been having some difficulty in getting my OC stable and every search I do just shows results for amount of "speed" associated with overclocking. Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: You can tell I was in a rsuh writing this because I left out some pretty vital information. I'm running a Ryzen 2700x OC'd to 4.2 on a strix b450-f gaming MB.

So what I'm seeing is I should go with just 2 sticks (cause I will never need anymore than 32GB)

Edited by GlassCannonGaming
Adding Info

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

4 sticks are harder to overclock than 2 sticks

I don't think so.

It should be the same i think.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I don't think so.

not sure about intel but there is a problem with amd's memory controller. i think it's better with 3000 series, but the older ones struggle with 4 sticks.

Just now, boggy77 said:

not sure about intel but there is a problem with amd's memory controller. i think it's better with 3000 series, but the older ones struggle with 4 sticks.

AMD in general have a compatibility issue with RAM

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Yes, capacity will make it harder to overclock your RAM.  On top of that using 4 sticks also makes it harder.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

It actually depends on your Motherboard and how the traces are printed for your RAM. A daisy chain layout is better for 2 RAM sticks while T-topology layouts can achieve higher speeds with 4 sticks.

13 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I don't think so.

its the silicon lottery. if 3 sticks have good chips that can overclock a lot and the 4th stick has bad chips that wont overclock that much then all 4 will be restricted to the speed of the 4th stick

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

its the silicon lottery. if 3 sticks have good chips that can overclock a lot and the 4th stick has bad chips that wont overclock that much then all 4 will be restricted to the speed of the 4th stick

Of course, that also.  silicon lottery is a fact in hardware.

Capacity is only indirectly applicable, in that the number of modules, and/or the rank of the modules tend to go up to achieve higher total capacity. Both those could affect the overclocking limit of the ram in a given system. All else being equal, one module per channel of single rank ram is most likely to reach highest speeds. Running dual rank module, and/or two modules per channel may limit that.

Unless you need the fastest possible ram for some reason (competitive overclocking) it doesn't make a big difference even if you have a bit of a speed difference from ram configuration.

Note I found having more than one rank per channel gives an improvement to performance at a given speed/timing. This can be either by multiple modules or within a single module. If max performance is the goal it isn't necessarily achieved by max speed.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I don't think so.

they are not the same. 2 sticks is easier to overclock than 4. that is inherent to how memmory topology, and tracing works. 

18 minutes ago, Constantin said:

AMD in general have a compatibility issue with RAM

1st and 2nd gen dont like anything faster than 3200mhz. and 3rd gen stops clocking at 3600mhz due IF being in 1:1 mode. 

38 minutes ago, GlassCannonGaming said:

I just wanted to know if the amount of RAM your trying to overclock matters at all?

more ram puts more strain on the memmory controller. so yes, the ammount of ram does affect how high you can overclock the memmory, or what voltage you need to use.