LTT Discord is being scraped by a company that wont let you delete the data they have

limegorilla

i don't have much of a problem with it, as i don't have any private discord servers and when i connected my social media i knew full well that people could see it, but i can see why people have a problem with this

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

If someone sat outside my window and looked in and recorded every program I opened and for how long according to you that is fine. I can't tell them to stop or go away nor can I be mad if they sell that.

Pretty sure that's illegal. Since invasion of privacy is a thing. Could be wrong though.

12 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I feel like I'm missing something.

GDPR, a EU law, says that EU citizens have the right to ask for their profile, or data, to be erased.

dis.cool knows that full well and instead of complying, they made a "removal" page that sends you to (a now deleted) meme taunting users.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

GDPR, a EU law, says that EU citizens have the right to ask for their profile, or data, to be erased.

dis.cool knows that full well and instead of complying, they made a "removal" page that sends you to (a now deleted) meme taunting users.

The meme is now being hosted on their servers, which, ironically, are currently down. X3

I rarely trust a paid service, and never trust a free service.  Food for thought.  

For me, Im not surprised?  Web crawlers and scrapers are everywhere (used to use one, a scraper, very prominently which allowed me to auto adjust my pricing on selling other peoples widgets on my website to ensure I always had the lowest price on the web for websites that carried that same product) - and where there are people, there is data to collect!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

19 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

And this is why there are extended security measures like phone number verification's in place. Or what now-bad-Blizzard tried to get going years ago with RealID for games. Though still even real users could cause this kind of thing.

RealID is a mistake, just like Facebook is a mistake. When you start trying to connect peoples real identities to what they post online, you then raise the stakes what happens when that information is misused. See Facebook. See also Facebook. And Facebook again. What is stopping a troll from causing damage repeatedly to you, your reputation, your credit, your job, and so forth? Absolutely nothing, because sites that demand real names do absolutely zero to verify anything. It's too expensive.

These sites that demand real names (I'm looking at you CBC) to post comments are a joke. The only places that ever make an attempt to verify the person is who they say they are banking sites. Nothing else. It's in banking sites best interests to make sure that they aren't taken for a ride by fake identities. And this still doesn't stop name collision (eg where your name is identical to someone elses, who lives in the same state) and thus credit monitoring attributes the wrong things to you repeatedly and sends bill collectors after you based on name alone.

Let people use their pseudonym's, and if your site is "serious" you will demand subscriptions in order to have "Verified" status on your site, which you verify by having the card used to pay for the subscription match with their passport. If a user is unwilling to have a passport, then they are not important enough to be verified..

33 minutes ago, Kisai said:

RealID is a mistake, just like Facebook is a mistake.

Do you know what RealID was? Or is this just random rant against anything where you can claim to be real person without verifications?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Do you know what RealID was? Or is this just random rant against anything where you can claim to be real person without verifications?

Any time a site demands your "real name" without asking for your passport, is not interested in protecting your privacy, only embarrassing you. A gaming forum is the last place you want a real name attached to anything.

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Any time a site demands your "real name" without asking for your passport, is not interested in protecting your privacy, only embarrassing you. A gaming forum is the last place you want a real name attached to anything.

You are in conflict with yourself  there. Maybe leave the "without asking for your passport" part out and it makes more sense.

If I remember it correctly, you had to scan government issues ID as verification. The article there doesn't touch that part, only if it would be good for gaming community as whole or not. This is also 10 years ago. Times have changed, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more people demanding names for nicknames to root out all of the problems.

I'm not defending RealID, or any other site which would use real identities. Just saying that if you give room for easy access to everything, that will lead to problems same way as mistake in core coding would. Or greedy business people do.

On the topic itself. I checked my info from the site. They were from 2 months ago. And unless Discord has something which would let normal members of any channel to see things I've set to private, this would be blown up already. Right now its probably just some dude who thinks they are being funny.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I doubt anything would happen to them. Discord isnt really a place where privacy was the main concern. Im surprised that this is the only company found to be doing this. I can see that in the VERY near future there is going to be alot more information gathering using discord. This is the same as other places where personal information is created. These guys are just ahead of the curve?

• 1 month later...

Heya, just an update from me, one of the people fighting dis.cool.

As you may well know, they have switched domains to tracr.co and dsc.cool, as Donuts (the registrar behind the .cool TLD) received a DMCA notice from Discord. The same notice was sent out to Nooder, a very shady company previously hosting dis.cool's DDoS protection (they now use DDoS-Guard). They also have switched to Epik under their new domain. I am currently looking at ways to mitigate this problem as a whole, and some methods seem promising. I'd be more than happy to let you into our little group centered around the removal of dis.cool. Contact me: resynth1943#4300 on Discord, or any other contact methods listed on my website. I also have reason to believe that they are raiding servers with accounts under my username. If you have seen this, this is entirely fiction spun by dis.cool, and I have no part in it. The people behind dis.cool own a raiding group ironically named nuked.cc, I would start there.

I did actually write a rather informational blog post on this topic, which you can find here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have on dis.cool, but please know that I am taking action, regardless of how quiet I am being in the process.

Furthermore, would someone be interested in making a topical video on dis.cool? I would support it. I have some good knowledge on dis.cool.