Ryzen 3600x 80c+ while gaming.

It's kind of frightening, I built this PC a couple months ago. My intel would barely ever go above 50c. Then this PC is getting close to 90c while gaming... is this normal? I haven't OC'd or anything. Maybe the thermal paste got messed up? Idk.

cooler?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

7 minutes ago, dylemmarl said:

It's kind of frightening, I built this PC a couple months ago. My intel would barely ever go above 50c. Then this PC is getting close to 90c while gaming... is this normal? I haven't OC'd or anything. Maybe the thermal paste got messed up? Idk.

Ryzen CPUs can get pretty hot when boosting, but it should not be getting close to 90c, as the max temp is 95c. Check your BIOs, and make sure you have a fan curve setup. It sounds like you need to set a more aggressive one. Also, make sure to choose a balanced power plan in the Windows power configuration settings. Do you have any case fans? If so, how many, what part of the case are they on, and are they input, or exhaust fans? Case airflow can also cause increase in temps. One last question, are you checking your temps with Ryzenmaster, or another program?

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

10 minutes ago, dylemmarl said:

If you're on a stock cooler and your case is starved for airflow then this temperature is very possible even with proper thermal paste application, but you haven't mentioned any of those stuff.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

18 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

cooler?

Stock wraith cooler.

24 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Ryzen CPUs can get pretty hot when boosting, but it should not be getting close to 90c, as the max temp is 95c. Check your BIOs, and make sure you have a fan curve setup. It sounds like you need to set a more aggressive one. Also, make sure to choose a balanced power plan in the Windows power configuration settings. Do you have any case fans? If so, how many, what part of the case are they on, and are they input, or exhaust fans? Case airflow can also cause increase in temps. One last question, are you checking your temps with Ryzenmaster, or another program?

My CPU fan is basically running at 80% speed at all times, above 40c it kicks on to 80% speed and 95% speed at like 80+c. I have 4 case fans, I always have them on low though. Guess I'll keep them on high, also take off the dust filter at the top of my PC and see if it helps. I'm using ryzen balanced plan. High performance during fullscreen games. 

3 minutes ago, dylemmarl said:

My CPU fan is basically running at 80% speed at all times, above 40c it kicks on to 80% speed and 95% speed at like 80+c. I have 4 case fans, I always have them on low though. Guess I'll keep them on high, also take off the dust filter at the top of my PC and see if it helps. I'm using ryzen balanced plan. High performance during fullscreen games. 

Okay, you are switching it to high performance when you play full screen games? That would most likely cause a boost in voltage and usage, and consequently an increase in heat. Try keeping it on balanced, and I would bump up your case fans. No reason to remove the dust filter yet, though.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

NAS/Media Box

1 minute ago, LaughingHyena said:

Okay, you are switching it to high performance when you play full screen games? That would most likely cause a boost in voltage and usage, and consequently an increase in heat. Try keeping it on balanced, and I would bump up your case fans a little bit. No reason to remove the dust filter yet, though.

Sorry, I use GPU high performance power plan in Nvidia control panel during gaming. Not windows power plan. 

1 minute ago, dylemmarl said:

Sorry, I use GPU high performance power plan in Nvidia control panel during gaming. Not windows power plan. 

Oh, okay. Yeah, I would definitely increase the fan speed on your case fans to help get some better airflow going. Do you know if your computer is positive airflow, negative airflow, or balanced airflow?

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

12 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Oh, okay. Yeah, I would definitely increase the fan speed on your case fans to help get some better airflow going. Do you know if your computer is positive airflow, negative airflow, or balanced airflow?

I have no clue what that means. I'm not sure. 

12 minutes ago, dylemmarl said:

I have no clue what that means. I'm not sure. 

Do you have more intake fans, more exhaust fans, or a balance of both?

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

2 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Do you have more intake fans, more exhaust fans, or a balance of both?

3 intake 1 exhaust I believe. 3 pulling in air from the front, 1 pushing out air in the back next to CPU. 

1 minute ago, dylemmarl said:

3 intake 1 exhaust I believe. 3 pulling in air from the front, 1 pushing out air in the back next to CPU. 

Okay, so that means you have positive airflow, or positive pressure. More air coming in than being forced out, which can cause some hot air to linger in the case. Not a super big deal, but can mean slightly higher air temps in your case. I would put your exhaust fan to a higher RPM than your intake fans, but increase them all to get a little better airflow.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

2 hours ago, LaughingHyena said:

Okay, so that means you have positive airflow, or positive pressure. More air coming in than being forced out, which can cause some hot air to linger in the case. Not a super big deal, but can mean slightly higher air temps in your case. I would put your exhaust fan to a higher RPM than your intake fans, but increase them all to get a little better airflow.

You have a X series, do you game? And if so what is your temps like? I will say, I sit in pretty hot conditions, I like warm air so it's a little hot in here, but it's been the same way with my old PC as well which had an intel chip and that thing ran cool. 

@dylemmarl

"You have a X series, do you game? And if so what is your temps like? I will say, I sit in pretty hot conditions, I like warm air so it's a little hot in here, but it's been the same way with my old PC as well which had an intel chip and that thing ran cool."

I have a 3600 too. If possible I would just try and get a better cooler like the hyper 212. The stock heat sink is barely enough to keep the processor in the 80c under load in a moderate to cold ambient temperature. I personally got a wraith prism over clocked it a little and ran into a road block at good ambient temps. Right now I can get to 4.3 all core with the nh-u12s. Try repasting it and make sure the processor has proper mounting pressure(tighten the screws an appropriate amount). If that doesn't help pick up a hyper 212 evo and that should take care of the problems. The stock heat sink is terrible, they took out the copper core :(

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hyper+212&qid=1581963023&sr=8-3 

If you have the money anyways. If you really want to go overkill here is a link to the nh-u12s, its great but double the cost and not double the performance.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-Premium-Cooler-NF-F12/dp/B00C9EYVGY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=BUCRV21WABEV&keywords=nh-u12s&qid=1581963121&sprefix=nh-%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3

Of course there are other options too, including a black version of both the 212 and u12s. 

Hope this Helps

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

11 hours ago, dylemmarl said:

You have a X series, do you game? And if so what is your temps like? I will say, I sit in pretty hot conditions, I like warm air so it's a little hot in here, but it's been the same way with my old PC as well which had an intel chip and that thing ran cool. 

I do lots of gaming. I played Metro Exodus today with ray tracing on at max settings, and my CPU cooler set to reduce noise, and I never got above 65c. I do have a Hyper 212 Evo cooler, though. Was only about 35$ and has been a dream. A total pain to install, though. 

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box