Low Latency Plus High Frequency ram worth it?

Has anyone seen low latency (lets say CL16 or 17) with high frequency (lets say 3800 or 4000 MHz) affect gaming FPS? I'm starting to wonder that the "Cadillac" of ram really doesn't affect gaming.

I know the age old statement of "does frequency really matter?"

I get that, but does it even matter when latency is low and the frequency is high. I'm starting to wonder if any version of 3200 mhz ram is really all you need (coupled with a decent CPU and a great GPU) when it comes to affecting gaming. 

Any other input would be great. 

It's never Enough........

i9 9900KS

H150i Pro

3 x Corsair ML 140 mm fans

3 x Corsair ML 120 mm fans

Commander Pro 

Maximus Hero XI

32 GB DDR4 HyperX Predator rgb (4 x 8GB) @ 4000mhz

ROG Strix RTX 2080 TI OC                                                

2 X 500 GB 970 EVO NVME  in Raid 1                           

500 GB 850 EVO SSD

2  x 1 TB 860 EVO

6 TB IronWolf Pro HDD

EVGA Platinum 1000 Watt PSU 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard 

Logitech G604

KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1

Corsair HS70 SE

LG 38GL950G + LG 27GL850-B

From my understanding, it will give better performance. But you know what else will? A good Gpu. Basically if you don't have a specific need, upgrade elsewhere. your money will be better spent.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

16 minutes ago, richintheveins said:

I get that, but does it even matter when latency is low and the frequency is high. I'm starting to wonder if any version of 3200 mhz ram is really all you need (coupled with a decent CPU and a great GPU) when it comes to affecting gaming. 

3200Mhz has always been the ideal in terms of value/performance for gaming, anything above that and the differences are negligible, though 3rd Gen Ryzen does benefit somewhat by going with 3600Mhz but they both perform very good.

anything above 3600Mhz has little to no effect on gaming performance. 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

What really matters is 1/frequency *latency, this gives the most comprehensive "speed" number of the RAM.

increasing frequency increases bandwidth, but that's not very useful.

I'm running quad channel so bandwidth is no issue, thus 3200 cl14

17 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

From my understanding, it will give better performance. But you know what else will? A good Gpu. Basically if you don't have a specific need, upgrade elsewhere. your money will be better spent.

Yes buying a better GPU always prevails, but I’m trying to squeak out the best performance.

I already have a KS and a 2080ti. I just wanted to see if the best ram would make a difference but it hardly does....

It's never Enough........

i9 9900KS

H150i Pro

3 x Corsair ML 140 mm fans

3 x Corsair ML 120 mm fans

Commander Pro 

Maximus Hero XI

32 GB DDR4 HyperX Predator rgb (4 x 8GB) @ 4000mhz

ROG Strix RTX 2080 TI OC                                                

2 X 500 GB 970 EVO NVME  in Raid 1                           

500 GB 850 EVO SSD

2  x 1 TB 860 EVO

6 TB IronWolf Pro HDD

EVGA Platinum 1000 Watt PSU 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard 

Logitech G604

KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1

Corsair HS70 SE

LG 38GL950G + LG 27GL850-B

14 hours ago, richintheveins said:

Yes buying a better GPU always prevails, but I’m trying to squeak out the best performance.

I already have a KS and a 2080ti. I just wanted to see if the best ram would make a difference but it hardly does....

Oh, yes. If you already have top-of-the-line stuff, better RAM WOULD give you a measurable BOOST in performance.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:12 PM, richintheveins said:

Has anyone seen low latency (lets say CL16 or 17) with high frequency (lets say 3800 or 4000 MHz) affect gaming FPS? I'm starting to wonder that the "Cadillac" of ram really doesn't affect gaming.

I know the age old statement of "does frequency really matter?"

Any other input would be great. 

3200mhz is quite slow on Intel, you'd get lower frame rates on average.

Try 3800mhz-4000mhz Cas 14-14-14. CL 16 is not exactly tight at this frequency.

How you get performance from memory depends on how much time and effort you want to put into actually tweaking.

Here at this wonderful set it and forget it type forum, perhaps gains are minimal in this situation, everyone buying low end garbage memory...... and still can't get a good post at 3200mhz lol. What'a joke. 

But most of the time it's not a great jump in FPS no. Random Access memory isn't doing the video rendering lol. 

Cpu OC also effects memory read writes, and copies. This is something to think about. Well, I increased my memory, but left performance on the table with a stock cpu for example. 

Maximize performance by looking at all the tweaks together instead of scrutinize a single piece of hardware defining gaming FPSs.....