[FIRST BUILD] AMD Build, need YOUR HELP !

MorderNo

Hello Everyone ! 

This early 2020 i'm planning on a new build, and of course ... I NEED YOUR HELP

1. Budget & Location

• I'm from Belgium. (I can pick parts in Germany, Netherdlands, France, Luxembourg and of course Belgium)
  • My budget was around 1200€, I could go a little bit higher (The cheaper the better, looking for the best Perf/Price ratio) but even being a true addicted gamer money isnt unlimited (*Insert Sad Cat meme*)

2. Aim

• 90% Gaming (ATM : Escape From Tarkov, Rust, Forza, some AAA games, I like to touch everything)
  • 5% Working
  • 5% Browsing / Youtube / Twitch / Idle eating (Not touching pc with dirty hands no worries)

3. Monitors

• Currently using 2 monitors 
  1.  7 YO Asus 75 hz                  
  2.   10+ YO BenQ 60Hz
  • BUT I'M PLANNING TO CHANGE THEM LATER THIS YEAR FOR 2 144Hz monitor (Either 1080p or 1444p)

4. Why are you upgrading?

I build (Someone did build it for me actually) my first computer when guild wars 2 came out. In 2012. It's now 7 years old and i can't play the game I like anymore. 

---------------------

So here is the build I think about ! 

I took the 3600X because it's 200€ right now so it's 15€ more than the 3600.  

I know there is a GPU missing. I'm planning on keeping my old 970 and wait for the 3000 series to get a better/cheaper GPU. (Bad idea ?)

5. Other Few questions

• Is the PSU Good ?
  • Isnt 650W overkill ? Should I go with 550W ?
  • About RAM... Is it fine ? Or should i got with 3400 / 3600 ?
  • Your tought about the GPU (Expanation 5 lines above)
  • Should i keep the 650W of my existing 7 Yo computer ? 

------

Could you guys help me ? 

Thanks for taking time answering ! You guys are the best, love this forum ! Keep the great work 

- I can't read your replies to my comment on your previous post.

- This build looks good other than for too expensive SATA SSD.

- 650W isn't exactly overkill, it would've been just fine with 550W in gaming with any hardware tho.

- 3600MHz RAM might get you a few more FPS on average, i wouldn't bother really unless you can get it for the same price (better if 16\17CL).

- Since you don't have high-FPS display right now, not getting a better GPU for now too makes sense.

- Whether to keep your current PSU depends on what model it is, not it's wattage, but unless it were smth really high-end, chances that 7 yo PSU will still be good for modern standards are rather low.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

If you are buying an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, just go with the 3600. They will perform identically when they are both running with a better cooler than stock.

Maybe look for an M.2 NVMe SSD, as opposed to a regular SATA one. It will be faster and save you from having to run extra cables from the SSD to the motherboard and PSU.

RAM's fine, you might see a slight increase in FPS if you go with a 3600MHz kit, but I wouldn't bother if it's much more expensive.

The PSU is really solid, but you can definitely go with the 550W and you'll still have plenty of headroom with whatever GPU you plan on buying. Definitely don't reuse your 7 year old unit though.

And finally, regarding the GPU, if you aren't in a rush to get the most performance and think you can save some extra cash while waiting for Nvidia's 3000 series to come out, then you might as well wait. The GTX 970 isn't that bad of a card, especially for 1080p.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Thanks for your reply when I have Time today I ll rethink of a build following your advices ! 

I keep you updated 

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

If you are buying an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, just go with the 3600. They will perform identically when they are both running with a better cooler than stock.

Maybe look for an M.2 NVMe SSD, as opposed to a regular SATA one. It will be faster and save you from having to run extra cables from the SSD to the motherboard and PSU.

RAM's fine, you might see a slight increase in FPS if you go with a 3600MHz kit, but I wouldn't bother if it's much more expensive.

The PSU is really solid, but you can definitely go with the 550W and you'll still have plenty of headroom with whatever GPU you plan on buying. Definitely don't reuse your 7 year old unit though.

And finally, regarding the GPU, if you aren't in a rush to get the most performance and think you can save some extra cash while waiting for Nvidia's 3000 series to come out, then you might as well wait. The GTX 970 isn't that bad of a card, especially for 1080p.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

- I can't read your replies to my comment on your previous post.

- This build looks good other than for too expensive SATA SSD.

- 650W isn't exactly overkill, it would've been just fine with 550W in gaming with any hardware tho.

- 3600MHz RAM might get you a few more FPS on average, i wouldn't bother really unless you can get it for the same price (better if 16\17CL).

- Since you don't have high-FPS display right now, not getting a better GPU for now too makes sense.

- Whether to keep your current PSU depends on what model it is, not it's wattage, but unless it were smth really high-end, chances that 7 yo PSU will still be good for modern standards are rather low.

Ok so I checked it out

PSU : I will definititly go for a new one and keep with the 650 that I listed since the 550€ is ONLY 10€ cheaper.
GPU : I'm gonna keep the 970 for the moment and eventually change it during the year or even if a month if I don't have the expected need filled.
RAM : Still struggling. I read that the 3600Mhz doenst work on the Tomahawk Max. I found them in CL16(16-19-19-39) for 5€ more. If you tell me that is working just fine i'm going for the 3600 all the way. 

Storage : Well you are saying both i should get a M2 but for 1TB in M2 it's 30€ more. Should i go for that extra 30€ ? (Second option is to get only 500Gb M2 which is 50€ cheaper)

---

Makes 2 problems solved. Only 2 left 

Thanks ! 

56 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

RAM : Still struggling. I read that the 3600Mhz doenst work on the Tomahawk Max. I found them in CL16(16-19-19-39) for 5€ more. If you tell me that is working just fine i'm going for the 3600 all the way.

I'm running G.Skill 2x8GB 3600MHz 19CL kit on B450 Gaming Plus (which is identical to Tomahawk other than for the looks) at 3600MHz 16CL with manual OC. It might not work with XMP profile but that's expected because XMP were developed by Intel and even then it's quite outdated, doesn't fit even half of timings that RAM has, most of secondary and tetriary timings motherboard needs to guess itself and since Intel and AMD platforms are different, going for values defined in XMP profile might not work well. In short, just OC it manually.

56 minutes ago, MorderNo said:

Storage : Well you are saying both i should get a M2 but for 1TB in M2 it's 30€ more. Should i go for that extra 30€ ? (Second option is to get only 500Gb M2 which is 50€ cheaper)

You don't need to go for NVMe, SATA is fine for almost anything but this specific SSD you choose are just overpriced, same for Samsung M.2 SSD you seem to look at as alternative (970 Evo i assume ?). There are way cheaper options, Samsung doesn't have high ground in SSDs anymore. Get Crucial MX500 i've recommended you in your previous thread.

45 minutes ago, Juular said:

I'm running G.Skill 2x8GB 3600MHz 19CL kit on B450 Gaming Plus (which is identical to Tomahawk other than for the looks) at 3600MHz 16CL with manual OC. I might not work with XMP profile but that's expected because XMP were developed by Intel and even then it's quite outdated, doesn't fit even half of timings that RAM has, most of secondary and tetriary timings motherboard needs to guess itself and since Intel and AMD platforms are different, going for values defined in XMP profile might not work well. In short, just OC it manually.

You don't need to go for NVMe, SATA is fine for almost anything but this specific SSD you choose are just overpriced, same for Samsung M.2 SSD you seem to look at as alternative (970 Evo i assume ?). There are way cheaper options, Samsung doesn't have high ground in SSDs anymore. Get Crucial MX500 i've recommended you in your previous thread.

I didn't quite understand the RAM part, as a no-english speaker but I think I understood the most of it. Just saying I've never OC manually RAMs (Can't be hard right ?). 

So you are saying take the 3200 and OC it or take the 3600 and OC it ? 

--

For the SSD it's fine thanks i ll take the 1TB MX500 (Or maybe the 500GB i don't need that much space). Instead of samsung. No need to go NVMe as you said ! 

Thanks for taking time again :) 

1 minute ago, MorderNo said:

So you are saying take the 3200 and OC it or take the 3600 and OC it ?

Yep, get 3600MHz only if it's like a couple bucks more for 18\19CL and maybe 5-10$ more for 16\17CL. OC them anyway, it's not hard, you can just try various OC profiles in BIOS to determine which one works stable for you and them maybe tighten timings a bit from there.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yep, get 3600MHz only if it's like a couple bucks more for 18\19CL and maybe 5-10$ more for 16\17CL. OC them anyway, it's not hard, you can just try various OC profiles in BIOS to determine which one works stable for you and them maybe tighten timings a bit from there.

It's 5€ more for 3600 CL16

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07Z94B5HJ?tag=pcp09-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

95€ 3200 CL 16
100€ 3600 CL 16

I don't understand why their is such a small gap between the 2

Well, the one you choose are a bit overpriced in the first place so the difference are more like 20-25 EUR.

3200MHZ 16CL Crucial Ballistix LT - 77 EUR

3200MHZ 16CL Corsair Vengeance LPX - 79 EUR

3600MHz 17CL Patriot Viper 4 Blackout - 99 EUR

3600MHz 15CL Crucial Ballistix RGB - 105 EUR

Crucial Ballistix RAM seems to be generally recommended as the one that OC's easily but i really don't think it worth paying the price for 3600MHz kit.

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well, the one you choose are a bit overpriced in the first place so the difference are more like 20-25 EUR.

3200MHZ 16CL Crucial Ballistix LT - 77 EUR

3200MHZ 16CL Corsair Vengeance LPX - 79 EUR

3600MHz 17CL Patriot Viper 4 Blackout - 99 EUR

3600MHz 15CL Crucial Ballistix RGB - 105 EUR

Crucial Ballistix RAM seems to be generally recommended as the one that OC's easily but i really don't think it worth paying the price for 3600MHz kit.

Yeah as you guys said earlier it's like 3 - 5 FPS gain right ? 

I'm going for the 3200 CL16 then :) ! 

EDIT : The fuck the price is 40 more in Belgium. 

Since i live close to the german border think i'm gonna go there or order from the german site 

11 minutes ago, steelo said:

You're going to need a GPU. I'd recommend a RX 5700 XT with that build ?

Wrote bellow the build. Keeping my old 970 till 3000 series is out. (Or if i estimate the performance under my standards)