Need to build a server.

Hello guys.

I am a programmer, i need to build a server for storage my data.

I need at least 8 terabytes of storage and i wanted to access remotely without any lag.

I had a family, and i need to save my photos and videos etc.

Sometimes i need to shot videos, so i need to editing online.

I also want to make it as a download machine.

I want to low power usage.

I have $1500 budget.

Do you want to access your server from outside? Or just at home?

If from outside, then your download and upload connection speed must be very high (about 500 Mbits or more recommended, otherwise your "without any lag" will be impossible). So first check if your internet is fast enough (both ways) and then start to think about server.

File access over WAN without noticeable latency is not possible unless you have a symmetric gigabit connection on both the remote and local locations. You can safely discard that requirement here. Unless you are willing to upgrade your connections on both ends.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to do SMB over the internet, even SMB3, so it's recommended to also run a VPN service on this machine.

L2TP/IPSEC, OpenVPN or SSTP are all decent options.

Disk wise, you'd want a RAID solution that's both fast enough to edit off of and be reliable. RAID10 comes to mind. Also budget external

storage or cloud storage to backup your data. For 8TB capacity in RAID10, take 4 4TB disks, preferably 7200rpm for better performance.

Options:

- Prebuilt NAS:  DS418 Play - $425

- 4x Toshiba X300 drives - $420

- 2x external 8TB HDD for backup rotation $280

-----------------------------------

$1125

This is an all in one solution with low power draw. It'll do VPN as well as store all of your files.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

22 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Do you want to access your server from outside? Or just at home?

If from outside, then your download and upload connection speed must be very high (about 500 Mbits or more recommended, otherwise your "without any lag" will be impossible). So first check if your internet is fast enough (both ways) and then start to think about server.

I want to visit at home.
To access outside, I just need text work and view normal 1080p videos on the server. Sometimes I download some code remotely.

View - no problem. But work - much more complex.

For viewing only remotely all you need is configure media server like Emby on your PC, have router with wol possibility (or ARP binding like TP-Link has to made it possible), some remote access like Radmin or VNC (or even remote desktop), maybe ftp server if you like/need. And, of course, external IP.

15 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

But work - much more complex

Not really, depending on the files in question. Both Nextcloud and a git - server do fine for working on non-video files and having all the changes synced to/from the server, so I would definitely recommend OP to learn git for all programming-stuff and then install e.g. Gogs (a git-server) on their server -- I use Gogs myself and am very happy with it. Nextcloud, on the other hand, is great for working on almost anything else, including sharing links to one's files with friends/colleagues etc.

The only thing I could see as being a problem would be video and there it'd make sense to use a remote desktop, instead. Radmin, VNC, RDP etc. are all pretty slow; I'd actually recommend using Nomachine instead, since it can use HW-acceleration for encoding the view from the remote-desktop, providing good speeds, allowing for full 3D-acceleration and everything, and Nomachine also does audio as well.

@Programmer Frank TL:DR; build a server that's capable of handling the video-editing, use an NVIDIA GPU since Nomachine works best with those, learn git and learn Nextcloud. (though, tbh, you should learn git as a programmer anyways, even if you weren't planning your own server)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, NelizMastr said:

File access over WAN without noticeable latency is not possible unless you have a symmetric gigabit connection on both the remote and local locations. You can safely discard that requirement here. Unless you are willing to upgrade your connections on both ends.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to do SMB over the internet, even SMB3, so it's recommended to also run a VPN service on this machine.

L2TP/IPSEC, OpenVPN or SSTP are all decent options.

Disk wise, you'd want a RAID solution that's both fast enough to edit off of and be reliable. RAID10 comes to mind. Also budget external

storage or cloud storage to backup your data. For 8TB capacity in RAID10, take 4 4TB disks, preferably 7200rpm for better performance.

Options:

- Prebuilt NAS:  DS418 Play - $425

- 4x Toshiba X300 drives - $420

- 2x external 8TB HDD for backup rotation $280

-----------------------------------

$1125

This is an all in one solution with low power draw. It'll do VPN as well as store all of your files.

Absolutely agree with the Synology. There are other models if that one doesn't quite have the performance you want. Personally I like to stick with the DSXXX+ series. The play and non plus are just fine tho for the majority of things, but I like the extra horsepower.

9 hours ago, BYUSinger84 said:

Absolutely agree with the Synology. There are other models if that one doesn't quite have the performance you want. Personally I like to stick with the DSXXX+ series. The play and non plus are just fine tho for the majority of things, but I like the extra horsepower.

Especially if you want to do docker, it'd be beneficial to have the faster Intel equipped units, yes.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro