Graphene Batteries

JohnnyDiggs

So I got one of the Graphene Battery banks that popped up recently, and wow is it heavy. Does anyone have any numbers for Lithium ion vs Graphene energy density vs ACTUAL density?

3 minutes ago, JohnnyDiggs said:

So I got one of the Graphene Battery banks that popped up recently, and wow is it heavy. Does anyone have any numbers for Lithium ion vs Graphene energy density vs ACTUAL density?

energy density is energy carried vs. weight, and unless it is like, 10 pounds i would think the extra weight of a superior battery wouldn't be that big of a deal?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

36 minutes ago, JohnnyDiggs said:

I’ve never even heard of a graphene battery.  Do you mean a graphene capacitor?  Fastcap is one brandname.

I would very much like to know more about what you are talking about.  If you’ve got pics I might be able to tell you more.

there are vandium-oxide/graphene anode lithium batteries, but that’s not a graphene battery so much as another chemistry for lithium batteries.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve never even heard of a graphene battery.  Do you mean a graphene capacitor?  Fastcap is one brandname.

I would very much like to know more about what you are talking about.  If you’ve got pics I might be able to tell you more.

Yah, everything I'm seeing is basically advertised through some sketch site or basically listed on Amazon as

ULTRA FAST [ GRAPHENE ] BATTERY BANK

I mean there is graphene battery tech out there but it's not really on the consumer market yet afaik

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, everything I'm seeing is basically advertised through some sketch site or basically listed on Amazon as

I mean there is graphene battery tech out there but it's not really on the consumer market yet afaik

I updated my post a bit.  They could be a liIon battery chemistry that uses graphene in the anode.  They’re supposed to do fast charging well.  Don’t know if there’s much actual change in energy density though.  The big numbers for LiIon batteries are energy density, voltage, charge rate, and charge cycle number.  Tesla recently did an aluminum chromium anode battery that had amazing charge cycle numbers, good energy density, and decent charge rate, but had pretty low voltage, which didnt matter so much for electric cars that can have large battery arrays but did for some other purposes.  There are many other LiIon battery chemistries and designs as well.

if it’s the vandium/graphene one they may stay pricey.  Vandium is one of those “rare earths” that is actually really rare and hard to get.  The only major uses I know for it are extremely high strength steels and m1 tank armor.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If it’s really really heavy I got a nasty suspicion you got sold a lead/acid battery.  Carbon and lithium are both pretty light.

Unless you paid like $100,000 for some kind of deep prototype, it's not a graphene battery bank.

It's probably just a falsely labeled lithium-polymer battery with graphene questionably applied to the lithium mix for faster charging. A ton of these appeared over the last month or so, it's a scam and deeply misleading.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

34 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Unless you paid like $100,000 for some kind of deep prototype, it's not a graphene battery bank.

It's probably just a falsely labeled lithium-polymer battery with graphene questionably applied to the lithium mix for faster charging. A ton of these appeared over the last month or so, it's a scam and deeply misleading.

If they’re scamming it might not even be lithium polymer.  My cynicism gland whispers to me you paid some ungodly amount of money for a used motorcycle battery.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If they’re scamming it might not even be lithium polymer.  My cynicism gland whispers to me you paid some ungodly amount of money for a used motorcycle battery.

Yeah you're right, the "wow it's heavy" part is alarming. I didn't even think of that.

I can't really think of anything that would be so noticably heavier than a lithium-polymer battery except lead acid like you said. Wonder what kind of crazy is going on to regulate one down to 5v. Probably losing like half of the stored power to conversion.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just looked them up, they look awful for the money but then again battery banks even just a few years back were.

i can see them being useful in only very specific use cases. Far better to get a high capacity bank and buy cheap small one you keep at 100%.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

So what I'm hearing is that this isn't a graphene battery, but a Lithium Ion battery with some graphene parts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6JW72V/

It looks like there are several rebrands of two units, a 10,000 mAh and a 20,000 mAh.

Just weighed it, it's 400 grams. Does anyone else have a 10,000 mAh battery bank to weigh for comparison? When I said it was heavy I didn't mean lead-acid heavy, just surprisingly heavy for it's small size.

10 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Yeah you're right, the "wow it's heavy" part is alarming. I didn't even think of that.

I can't really think of anything that would be so noticably heavier than a lithium-polymer battery except lead acid like you said. Wonder what kind of crazy is going on to regulate one down to 5v. Probably losing like half of the stored power to conversion.

There are 6v lead acid batteries for older motorcycles.  He says not lead heavy though so may be nothing

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, JohnnyDiggs said:

So what I'm hearing is that this isn't a graphene battery, but a Lithium Ion battery with some graphene parts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6JW72V/

It looks like there are several rebrands of two units, a 10,000 mAh and a 20,000 mAh.

For some reason the product is not available anymore on Amazon. Maybe it was a scam? New URL for same product? What happened?