Need Help With PowerShell - Scripting....

Hey Guys, its me again

I need help with some PowerShell scripting...

my current PS Script looks like that:

echo ""
echo "If this Message is seen, the Event Button.Click worked" 

$Cred = Get-Credential
$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri http://[*Remoteconnection to my Server*]/PowerShell/ -Authentication Kerberos -Credential $Cred
Import-PSSession $Session

get-messagetrackinglog -Start "2-3-2020" -End "2-6-2020" -MessageSubject "Bills" -sender: "sender1@anonymous.com" | Select messagesubject,recipients,eventid | Out-File 'C:\Temp\MessageLogs\LogSender1.txt'
get-messagetrackinglog -Start "2-3-2020" -End "2-6-2020" -MessageSubject "Bills" -sender: "sender2@anonymous.com" | Select messagesubject,recipients,eventid | Out-File 'C:\Temp\MessageLogs\LogSender2.txt'
get-messagetrackinglog -Start "2-3-2020" -End "2-6-2020" -MessageSubject "Bills" -sender: "sender3@anonymous.com" | Select messagesubject,recipients,eventid | Out-File 'C:\Temp\MessageLogs\LogSender3.txt'

echo "This script was executed on Windows Server 2012 R2 - MS Exchange 2013."
echo ""
Pause

It creates a Log file that looks like this:

2020-02-06_11h45_00.thumb.png.1633577ee3b183188387aaa597e2ac72.png

It shows the entered attributes "MessageSubject", "Recipients" and "EventID" and the connect data-value for each attribute.

And my question now is, wether or not it is possible, to let PowerShell divide the "MessageSubject-Value" into 2 Substrings (like 1. "Company: Bill" and 2. "0133456789") so I can easily, after the Import into MS Excel, devide the data-value of MessageSubject into 2 Cells.

I need that, because in my VBA script, the Cells, where only the Billnumber is located in, is used for upcomming calculations and controlstructures like  IF-ELSE or switch-case structures.

Does anyone has an idea on how to solve my Problem?

R9 3900X | Aorus X570 Elite | 32GB 3600MHz RAM | RTX 2060 Super | Aquafusion 360mm | 2TB NVMe x4 Gen. 4.0 

You could use a regex.

You already know that the "MessageSubject" field is made of one or more strings followed by a 10 digit number; you can match the string like this

"Company: Bill 0123456789" -match "(.+)\s(\d{10})"

and then access the values using the automatic $Matches variable:

PS C:\Users\Sauron> $Matches.1
Company: Bill
PS C:\Users\Sauron> $Matches.2

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You could use a regex.

You already know that the "MessageSubject" field is made of one or more strings followed by a 10 digit number; you can match the string like this

"Company: Bill 0123456789" -match "(.+)\s(\d{10})"

Hm thats the Problem ... in this case the Billnumber is a digit number ... but it can also be a 8 or 15 digit number...

can i use the -match attribute like this:

-match "(.+\s(\d{$variable})" ?

so that the length of the Billnumber is a variable?

Greetings and thanks for the fast anwser

R9 3900X | Aorus X570 Elite | 32GB 3600MHz RAM | RTX 2060 Super | Aquafusion 360mm | 2TB NVMe x4 Gen. 4.0 

4 minutes ago, Iqu said:

Hm thats the Problem ... in this case the Billnumber is a digit number ... but it can also be a 8 or 15 digit number...

can i use the -match attribute like this:

-match "(.+\s(\d{$variable})" ?

so that the length of the Billnumber is a variable?

Greetings and thanks for the fast anwser

this should work:

-match "(.+)\s(\d+)"

it will just match any number so long as it's the last thing in the string.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

and for what exactly does the (.+) and the \s(\d+) stand? 

sry im new with powershell and aint knowing too much so far

Are you aware you have these logs and filter already implemented on the exchange server with a nice interface that has an export to CSV which excel open very nicely.

22 minutes ago, Franck said:

Are you aware you have these logs and filter already implemented on the exchange server with a nice interface that has an export to CSV which excel open very nicely.

yeah i know .... i can just change the command to 

get-messagetrackinglog -Start "2-3-2020" -End "2-6-2020" -MessageSubject "Bills" -sender: "sender1@anonymous.com" | Select messagesubject,recipients,eventid | Out-File 'C:\Temp\MessageLogs\LogSender1.csv'

and I´m good to go...

But it doesn´t really matter, if I have my Logs as .txt files or as .csv files... cause i need to import them either way into another excel sheet, which is continueing with some calulations of several other Billnumbers.

But I also was thinking about doin the "splitting part" in VBA cause that seems a lot easier for me than with powershell, since I´m not too comftable in the handling with PowerShell.

Because in VBA you already have the "split" function which u can use to divide a long string into several shorter ones.

But still thx for the advice :D