Building game server PC

Timp11

Hey, do anyone of you guys know what cpu i should get to build a server node? It needs to host multiple servers. Im going to use it for me and many of my friends.

I have seen on popular game server hosting websites that they use really cheap xeon but i dont really know

Rust, arma, ark, cs go. Many users

No budget, prices in my country is diffrrent

maybe a cheap old xeon off of ebay on a dual socket would give you enough cores and enough memory channels to get used ddr3 ecc dimms for.

Otherwise a 3900x or 3950x should do the trick pretty well and you should look into a lot of ram, cause gamer server love ram

On 2/6/2020 at 3:40 PM, Timp11 said:

Rust, arma, ark, cs go. Many users

No budget, prices in my country is diffrrent

That's a lot of servers... Looking trough the endless web I found some requirements for the different game servers

• Rust: min 4GB RAM, 8GB+ recommended
  • Arma: 2GB RAM, 4GB+ recommended
  • Ark: 8GB RAM, 16GB+ recommended (crazy)
  • CS Go: 2GB RAM, 6GB+ recommended

Since you mentioned many users, you can scale up those numbers. If you want to run all those servers concurrently, I would recommend 16GB-32GB of RAM and at least one dedicated core per instance. I don't know if the servers parallelise well. It might therefore make more sense to have better per-core performance rather than many cores. Maybe you have some experience there if you're already running some servers. Don't forget about a good networking card and SSDs.

Besides just the HW requirements, I advise you to look into virtualisation to limit the resources per process such that a roque server doesn't impact the others. If you don't have any experience with server hosting, rent a cheap VPS then host each game server sequentially for some time and look at their requirements.