one pc, 2-3 gamers? (ky kids)

gsglobe

Hey,

I have a decent computer sitting in my living room connected to our tv monitor for light gaming and mostly netflix, allthou the computer can handle the latest games we just don't play them.

I have a question, could this pc somehow be used by my kids in their rooms in order to play their games, like sims, racing games, csgo or watch netflix / youtube? Like connect to the pc in their own virtual enviroment so we in the living room can still be doing our stuff like watching movies or playing games?

I'm not really a tech guy but I've looked up a program called Aster multiseat and it looks to be doing what I want, except I don't have more monitors than my living room tv.

Wondering if there's a program or the like so I can split up my living room gaming pc into more than one without going crazy buying new hardware? somehow connect to the pc using a pie or tablet in their own instance?

Sorry, I don't really know how to phrase the question hope you understand it.

Thanks alot in advance,

D

42 minutes ago, gsglobe said:

Hey,

I have a decent computer sitting in my living room connected to our tv monitor for light gaming and mostly netflix, allthou the computer can handle the latest games we just don't play them.

I have a question, could this pc somehow be used by my kids in their rooms in order to play their games, like sims, racing games, csgo or watch netflix / youtube? Like connect to the pc in their own virtual enviroment so we in the living room can still be doing our stuff like watching movies or playing games?

I'm not really a tech guy but I've looked up a program called Aster multiseat and it looks to be doing what I want, except I don't have more monitors than my living room tv.

Wondering if there's a program or the like so I can split up my living room gaming pc into more than one without going crazy buying new hardware? somehow connect to the pc using a pie or tablet in their own instance?

Sorry, I don't really know how to phrase the question hope you understand it.

Thanks alot in advance,

D

Probably not happening your PC will have to be really over the top to be able to handle games on VMs

The machine is a r7 1700x 16gb 3200mhz ram with gtx1080 I would say a decent computer more than enough to handle csgo and overwatch times two. Hell when I used to play video games I was able to raid myself multiboxing 20x world of warcraft accounts. I'm not looking to have my kids game at 4k 60fps or whatever. I'm looking for a way so my kids to play (my older one) csgo / overwatch and my youngest play sims or the like or just watch netflix or youtube in their rooms without messing around in the living room when its time to cool down.

They're no hardcore gamers and neither am I, inexpensive way to utilize the hardware we have. It's more than enough to game and we're taking turns right now, reason I'm here asking question is so we don't have to.

Best regards,

D

44 minutes ago, gsglobe said:

The machine is a r7 1700x 16gb 3200mhz ram with gtx1080 I would say a decent computer more than enough to handle csgo and overwatch times two. Hell when I used to play video games I was able to raid myself multiboxing 20x world of warcraft accounts. I'm not looking to have my kids game at 4k 60fps or whatever. I'm looking for a way so my kids to play (my older one) csgo / overwatch and my youngest play sims or the like or just watch netflix or youtube in their rooms without messing around in the living room when its time to cool down.

They're no hardcore gamers and neither am I, inexpensive way to utilize the hardware we have. It's more than enough to game and we're taking turns right now, reason I'm here asking question is so we don't have to.

Best regards,

D

AFAIK you would need a dedicated video card for each VM. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I kinda depends on what games they'll play, as far as I know sims you can only play with another person, what you could do is search for some games that actually let's you play in splitmode, like Grid: Autosport, or fighting games most of they are able to play 2 ppl on the same pc, back in highschool I used to do that, even nowadays I bring my laptop to play something like tekken 7 or guity gear at some friend's place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rise red as the dawn" - Scarlet Guard motto (Red Queen Series)

Ill look into Aster abit further, splitscreen is not something I want because it defeats the purpose of the idea. 

Since the computer is beefy enough for their needs and they play different games, the idea is to split the hardware so they can do their tasks and I can continue watching netflix or wife doing her stuff. Instead of selling and buying worse items to fit their needs. Worse case scenario I could shell out for abother gpu and do it that way but wanted to see if there was a cheaper alternative first

You can do it with an Unraid server (which is what is used in the LTT videos). In Unraid you can create an arbitrary number of VM's and connect to them via Remote Desktop or directly via mouse & keyboard. The 1700x should be enough for a couple VM's as long as you're not expecting a high-end gaming experience. You will need a GPU for every VM you want to game on. You will also need enough memory for all the VM's to run simultaneously. Then each user will need their own computer to connect to their VM and preferably a wired gigabit connection.

IMO after you've bought a computer for each user to log in on and a dedicated GPU and memory for each VM, you might as well just install that hardware in a dedicated desktop for each user. You'll get better performance and avoid all the complications with running VM's.

14 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

It’s called taking turns like my generation had to...

Or getting cheap-ish laptop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv