what just happened?

LTC down to $15.

BTC down below $600.

and half the coin sites I go to are down.

ITS THE COINPOCOLYPS!!! :o

Coins have been hyped for the past year now, the price means nothing.

or its just a digital recession

This.

It's what happens when banks fail. The exchanges are our equivalent of banks. And MTGox and a few other major exchanges aren't allowing withdrawals due to DDoS attacks.

So, effectively, they are failing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This.

It's what happens when banks fail. The exchanges are our equivalent of banks. And MTGox and a few other major exchanges aren't allowing withdrawals due to DDoS attacks.

So, effectively, they are failing.

probably in a years time the highest value of the bitcoin, litecoin will return to their peak value but its pretty difficult to know whether it'll every happen again.

I know someone and he lent me one of the first batch produce of physical bitcoins and lite coins

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Again? Probably because happens every two weeks or so.

Signatures are stupid.

Pump and dump baby, with btc being banned in Russia, mt.gox software failing, Canada starting to regulate btc, banks rejecting btc, money laundering, and major exchanges holding withdrawals is causing a lot of speculation and people are getting worried and dumping their coins at a very low price. Its all just a reaction to news and recent events with mt.gox thats causing it to go down so low. It will rise again and once mt gox gets their shit together should see it become more stable. In the meantime might want to jump on the bandwagon and buy at a low and sell once it pumps back up, but dont buy anything you cannot afford to lose, always.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xtcpd/after_a_week_full_of_crises_like_charlie_shrems/

http://www.coindesk.com/canadas-finance-minister-regulate-bitcoin/

Lol and SR2 just got hacked and all their btc was stolen..gotta love karma.

Edited by roid

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

My buddy is sitting on a shit ton of LTC right now lo.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

since the price is now way down, do you think the network hash rate will decrease for ltc/any other coins as people who jumped on stop mining?

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

It's just because there's a low volume of btc thanks to gox's issues with people not being able to withdraw them and people panicing. It will be back up soon after this gox stuff settles

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

litecoin and bitcoin will go backup there's just currently a issue with the way the payments are done so its just temp

Aselwyn1

mtgox blames "bug in bitcoin software" for their withdrawal problems. https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140210.html

Transaction mellability is already known for years but many people just don't get it and panic.

I seriously don't understand why so many panic when the coins drop a little in price. Typically it wont even drop 5% day to day, but people freak out and cause it to drop worse. If everyone just kept their cool with btc right now the price would be in the $700 range and be moderately stable.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

And Dogecoin doesn't look at the market again :P. Glad to see we are really good at holding our prices away from btc.

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

I seriously don't understand why so many panic when the coins drop a little in price. Typically it wont even drop 5% day to day, but people freak out and cause it to drop worse. If everyone just kept their cool with btc right now the price would be in the $700 range and be moderately stable.

I agree 100%, its ridiculous how unstable people are with these things, just look at any market crash going all the way back to the stock market crash of 1929 (well, thats a bit of a drastic example, but you get the point). people panic and start selling off their shares like crazy, and that causes the drop to be way worse than it was. honestly, you think people would have learned after all these years.

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)