9900K DEAD AFTER DELID

I don't see anything physical that looks catastrophic, so my guess would be they brute-forced to get the IHS off and probably broke the bumps that connect the die to the substrate.  I believe they're solder bumps (soon to be replaced with copper but that's like 2 years out...bonus fun fact) so in theory you could try the toaster oven strategy that sometimes works to reflow graphics cards.

Also make sure the IHS is making good contact with the die too, which can be a problem if you didn't evenly sand off the solder.  If it isn't the chip can immediately go into thermal shutdown and appear broken.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Damn the original owner probably used a cheap delid tool. It’s a goner.

i9-9900K @ 5.2GHz 1.39v (Direct-Die) | ASUS ROG Maximus XI Apex | ASUS ROG 2080 Ti O11G | Trident Z Royal @ 4200MHz CL18 | 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB | MasterWatt Maker 1200 Plus | Swiftech H360X3 + Nemesis 360 GTX + Barrowch 200mm Boxfish | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic | Samsung CHG70 32" QLED, 1ms 144Hz | Logitech G815 Tactile | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G840 | Kanto Yu4 + Kanto SUB8 8-Inch

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:54 AM, Princess Luna said:

Why would anyone delid a soldered processor is beyond me

Direct die cooling 😎

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

so in theory you could try the toaster oven strategy

I used to have to do this on my 360 about once a month 😂

wrap it in a towel, 375 for 5 mins.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 2/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, SolarNova said:

Direct die cooling.

Die lapping.

And LM can in fact give u a few degrees over a soldered IHS.

LM does not do better than Solder in most cases.

For example, AMD uses Indium which has a melting point of 157c which is above reflow temperatures and why I can use heat to remove the IHS plate safely.

The Indium Solder has an 85 w/m-k while Liquid metal is 73 w/m-k while Thermal Grizzly claims 79 w/m-k. Even with this boosted number, is still lower than Indium solder.

This simply means there hasn't been a thermal compound that's been invented which would conduct and transfer heat better than solder.

Now, I'm not entirely sure exactly what Intel uses with the 9900K, someone would have to research the facts to have the numbers straight here. I'm not in the mood at this time.

@Mr.David

I would give this one last try. But first, you need to lap the die free of that remaining solder. Then, do NOT glue the IHS plate down. It takes up space and has potential to keep the IHS plate just high enough off the core, it'll make bad thermal contact.

Also, lap the under side of the IHS plate. Don't have to go nuts, just be sure the solder is lapped away and smooth.

When you install the LM, use a super duper thin layer. As thin as you can get it. 

At the time you clamp the IHS plate down, note the bracket slides a little. Do your best to set the plate back just a touch so it centers as the clamp slides. Once you have the IHS plate clamped, put just a little silicon glue at the edges you can access so when you remove the cpu, the IHS plate doesn't go sliding around on you.

Lastly, as may have been mentioned *TLDR* it would be best resulted if you where to lap the waterblock on your custom loop to meet the cpu die nice and flush. You can then use an extremely thin layer of thermal compound which will have minimal push-out. You would want the naked die kit for sure. 

Anyhow, good luck! And if it's really dead....Bummer, but good try! 

1 hour ago, scuff gang said:

Direct die cooling 😎

It's something from the days of the Pentium III and Athlons that I really miss. It was surprising at just how little heatsink you could get away with for the given TDP, compared to now. You could even get away with using bad thermal compound ($25 for a 150g tube of the stuff found in a lot of laptops even today).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

It's something from the days of the Pentium III and Athlons that I really miss. It was surprising at just how little heatsink you could get away with for the given TDP, compared to now. You could even get away with using bad thermal compound ($25 for a 150g tube of the stuff found in a lot of laptops even today).

I remember running socket A chips missing corners on the die. Good times. 2.0v weeeee

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I remember running socket A chips missing corners on the die. Good times. 2.0v weeeee

Same with my PIII 1000 (the 667 with worse treatment by far hasn't had that happen). Cranking 2x of those (dual socket FTW) ever closer to 1.4GHz is almost an adrenaline rush.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Same with my PIII 1000 (the 667 with worse treatment by far hasn't had that happen). Cranking 2x of those (dual socket FTW) ever closer to 1.4GHz is almost an adrenaline rush.

Oh for sure, I had a mobile 450mhz chip but unfortunately the board I had was OEM and didn't OC. 

Kids now-a-days have no idea how good they got it lol. Back then these frequencies where getting fast as fuck. Slot 1 Mendocino 333mhz. Man that was so fast on OC. XD

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Here's a little something I did a long time ago......

image_id_597429.jpg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Still looks better than one off my xeons which I delidded 😂 

C7B4EC12-5D96-4E5F-9709-15E50EF5119D.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

F

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2