Dead Slow PS4 Slim Wired Connection

Hello,

I've been using my PS4 Slim with a Wireless connection for over a year without any problems, averaging a 20 Mbps download speed (measured both with the PS4 and a separate Ookla speed test).

Recently, after having upgraded part of my home network infrastructure, I've decided to switch to a Wired connection in order to get better speeds, right? Wrong! It alternates between failing to connect completely or having a download speed of 2-200 kbps.

My normal network configuration is as shown in Fig. 1. Please note that the 10m long Cat.5 cable runs through the walls, so it is unavailable for upgrading. This is the router and these are the network switches (without management).

n24X8m5qIvTUBmNICENsvmDOIbpjuDaEVkph67nJ Fig. 1 - Normal network configuration.

I have made several attempts to fix the issue, including:

• Configuring the PS4 Wired connection Automatically and Manually.
  • Changing DNS servers (including Google's).
  • Rebooting / Resetting the router.
  • Shutting off or disconnecting every other device on the network.
  • Bypassing one or both of the network switches (and chaining the cables together using couplers - see Figs. 2-3).

Detailed speed measurements:

• PC 1: 70-90 Mbps.
  • PC 2: 250-350 Mbps.
  • PS4 (Wired): 2-200 kbps.
  • PS4 (Wireless): 15-25 Mbps.
  • Laptop connected @ PS4 node: 80-90 Mbps.
  • PS4 (Wired), bypassing Switch 2 (see Fig. 2): FAIL to connect to internet.
  • Laptop connected @ PS4 node, bypassing Switch 2 (see Fig. 2): 75-90 Mbps.
  • PS4 (Wired), bypassing both switches (see Fig. 3): FAIL to connect to internet.
  • Laptop connected @ PS4 node, bypassing both switches (see Fig. 3): 80-90 Mbps.

lDp-HjEe3pYcyfjTWC-Av-J--noNMhOxPIiV7O3u Fig. 2 - Bypassing Switch 2. mBsDWTlD1XVWQox-9PU1zdtbmM6jkRUcYNPfYg9l Fig. 3 - Direct connection - bypassing both switches.

Nothing I've tried has fixed this issue so far. Is there anything I'm missing / any solution to this?

Thank you for your time and help!

I'd imagine you could possibly buy a WiFi extender that is plugged into the wall nearby your ps4 and have a wire running to the extender and then connect the ps4 to the extender instead, also make sure you're able to return the extender in case it doesn't solve the issue.

Other things you could do:

Try a different port on the network switch, see if it is an issue related to that.

Try using the Ethernet cable for your TV instead, perhaps it's an issue with the cable.

It sounds very much to me, either a hardware or just configuration issue stemming from the router. On my network, I get the full 200Mbps on any device capable pretty much everywhere in the house, and that's with switches, access points and powerline adapters involved all connected with cheap Cat6a.

If you have a spare router laying around, try that. Otherwise, you may want to factory reset your current router and see if that helps at all. Granted, it could be a default setting causing the problem. Also, try other cables.

You've already tested connecting directly to the router, but have you tried connecting directly to the modem itself? Years ago when we were upgraded to 50Mbps from 25, that's how I discovered I had an underpowered router. A tech came out to install the new modem and after we got it setup, we ran a speed test and I was only getting 35Mbps. He said it was the router, but I didn't believe him at first. He then suggested connecting directly to the modem for a test. Sure enough, full 50Mbps. Bought a new router and solved that problem.

There's also the distinct possibility that the PS4 just has a bad ethernet connection. Not much you can do to test that other than getting another PS4.