Noctua Nh-D15 or Zalman CNPS20X?

Lapjun
Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
6 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

How about the NZXT Kraken M22?

Somewhere around NH-U12S cooling performance, at higher noise, for almost the price for a D15. I wouldn't really call that a great deal.

Air coolers are objectively more reliable than AIO liquid coolers because there are fewer points of failure. They also offer similar or better performance at the same/lower price in general. 

I'm not really familiar with Zalman's coolers but it is a well known brand and I'd say they can be trusted from what I know.

I already know that the Noctua NH-D15 is one the best at aircooling, but has anybody ever tried the Zalman CNPS20X(TDP 300w!)?  There is a comparison by Kitguru and the Zalman seems better, but I have never heard the brand before.  Is it trustable?

(Zalman comes with RGB???)

16 minutes ago, Lapjun said:

Zalman CNPS20X(TDP 300w!)

Pfft, Alpenföhn Olymp is a 340W! TDP cooler. https://www.alpenfoehn.de/produkte/cpu-kuehler/olymp

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

14 minutes ago, Lapjun said:

So what is better, Noctua D15 or Zalman CNPS20x?  Also I don't think the Zalman's fans can raise, but the length accommodates for it by not covering ram slots.

If you don't care about aesthetics in your pc, then go with the noctua. Otherwise, go with a watercooler.

Just now, AndeSandwich said:

If you don't care about aesthetics in your pc, then go with the noctua. Otherwise, go with a watercooler.

I'll just get the Noctua Chromax version then, and water coolers just seem too expensive???

Just now, Lapjun said:

I'll just get the Noctua Chromax version then, and water coolers just seem too expensive???

????????????

Do you really think I should get water cooling?

Just now, Lapjun said:

????????????

Do you really think I should get water cooling?

If you care about aesthetics, then yes. If you don't care about aesthetics, then no.

If you care about aesthetics, then yes. If you don't care about aesthetics, then no.

I kind of care, as I have rgb on most of my parts, but I feel like with water cooling if something goes wrong, like a leak, then my whole build is destroyed.

Just now, Lapjun said:

I kind of care, as I have rgb on most of my parts, but I feel like with water cooling if something goes wrong, like a leak, then my whole build is destroyed.

Well, a preassembled watercooler shouldn't leak. That is more if you do custom watercooling.

1 minute ago, AndeSandwich said:

Well, a preassembled watercooler shouldn't leak. That is more if you do custom watercooling.

I just don't get how people switch out parts like the cpu if it is watercooled.  Won't water drip out when the tube is pulled out?  Also if watercooled, does the cpu still need thermal paste?  Cause if it does, won't the water wash it off?  

(I don't really know how watercooling works???)

6 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

Somewhere around NH-U12S cooling performance, at higher noise, for almost the price for a D15. I wouldn't really call that a great deal.

Air coolers are objectively more reliable than AIO liquid coolers because there are fewer points of failure. They also offer similar or better performance at the same/lower price in general. 

I'm not really familiar with Zalman's coolers but it is a well known brand and I'd say they can be trusted from what I know.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 minutes ago, Lapjun said:

I just don't get how people switch out parts like the cpu if it is watercooled.  Won't water drip out when the tube is pulled out?  Also if watercooled, does the cpu still need thermal paste?  Cause if it does, won't the water wash it off?  

(I don't really know how watercooling works???)

The water doesn't actually touch the cpu. It just circulates on a copper plate which sits on top of the cpu. Yes you still need thermal paste.

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I've decided I'll just get the Noctua D15, as watercooling seems very risky, even with preassembled ones.

11 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yes but what i am saying is that if you care about aesthetics, then a watercooler is worth considering.

Just now, Lapjun said:

I've decided I'll just get the Noctua D15, as watercooling seems very risky, even with preassembled ones.

Ok. I would just like to say that i started out with a Noctua D15, and switched to a watercooler.

2 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

Ok. I would just like to say that i started out with a Noctua D15, and switched to a watercooler.

I might do the same if I'm annoyed with noise and temps, but I'm mostly just ocing to 5ghz, maybe higher.

Just now, Lapjun said:

I might do the same if I'm annoyed with noise and temps, but I'm mostly just ocing to 5ghz, maybe higher.

Ok. What cpu do you have?

5 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

Ok. What cpu do you have?

i9 9900k

2 minutes ago, Lapjun said:

i9 9900k

Yeah ok then I think you should go with an Nh-d15 if that is your budget. A watercooler will cost more and it will look better but performance is the same.

Yeah ok then I think you should go with an Nh-d15 if that is your budget. A watercooler will cost more and it will look better but performance is the same.

Okay, thanks.

2 hours ago, AndeSandwich said:

You're welcome :)

I was researching a little about liquid coolers and I actually think I should get an AIO liquid cooler.  Should I get the NZXT Kraken X72 or Kraken X73?  Or Corsair's H150i Pro? How about Cooler Master's ML360R?

On 2/1/2020 at 10:52 PM, Lapjun said:

I was researching a little about liquid coolers and I actually think I should get an AIO liquid cooler.  Should I get the NZXT Kraken X72 or Kraken X73?  Or Corsair's H150i Pro? How about Cooler Master's ML360R?

Hi there, sorry for the late response, but i have the corsair h100i platinum which is the same thing as the h100i pro only with rgb fans. Anyways, i'm very happy with my h100i so if you got an h150i pro i think you would be even more happy :D