Ryzen 2700x vs 3600

Go to solution Solved by boggy77,

with a 1080ti, the 3600 is 8% better on average than the 2700x at 1440p.

Hi everyone. I'm updating my pc and I already managed to get a new gpu, sadly my old Intel 4670k is now in the way, so I need to upgrade mobo, cpu and ram. In my country the 2700x and the 3600 are priced exactly the same, I know the 3600x is a bit better at gaming, but slightly. Which should I get? Thank you 

There's only one problem with the 3600 I forgot to add, the board I'm planning to buy doesn't support it out of the box :(

If they're priced the same, always go with the newer one.

AMD has a program where they send you a CPU to upgrade the BIOS so you can use your new CPU, it's free.

2 minutes ago, Davemaster84 said:

the board I'm planning to buy doesn't support it out of the box

what board is it? why not buy one that supports it?

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

It might be a good board, but depending on where you live, local stores might still be selling old stock from before motherboards started supporting Ryzen 3000 CPUs out of the box.

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I'm between Asus strix x470 f and asrock fatality x470 k4, because I need the sli support, the x570 boards are just more expensive atm 

1 minute ago, Davemaster84 said:

I'm between Asus strix x470 f and asrock fatality x470 k4, because I need the sli support, the x570 boards are just more expensive atm 

the asus one is a much better board, but yes, there is no guarantee it will work out of the box with the 3600. you can ask the shop to update the bios for you.

the asus one is a much better board, but yes, there is no guarantee it will work out of the box with the 3600. you can ask the shop to update the bios for you.

Yes, I have been thinking about asking them to , but about the processors, is there much difference between them for gaming? I plan to play at 1440p and 60hz (maybe144 in the future). 

Just now, Davemaster84 said:

Yes, I have been thinking about asking them to , but about the processors, is there much difference between them for gaming? I plan to play at 1440p and 60hz (maybe144 in the future). 

what gpu do you have?

Just now, boggy77 said:

what gpu do you have?

Gtx 1080 ti, the idea is to add another one later in the year. 

Gtx 1080 ti, the idea is to add another one later in the year. 

not a good idea. few modern titles support sli and it doesn't scale well. if you're not satisfied with the performance of a single 1080ti, you're better off selling it and getting a 2080ti or waiting for the 3080 release.

Just now, boggy77 said:

not a good idea. few modern titles support sli and it doesn't scale well. if you're not satisfied with the performance of a single 1080ti, you're better off selling it and getting a 2080ti or waiting for the 3080 release.

@Davemaster84 this will also solve your motherboard issue, as you could get a msi b450 tomahawk max or a-pro max, which is ryzen 3000 ready.

Just now, boggy77 said:

with a 1080ti, the 3600 is 8% better on average than the 2700x at 1440p.

That sounds like an important difference, do you know of the 3700x takes the lead? Or it's similar to the 3600x

That sounds like an important difference, do you know of the 3700x takes the lead? Or it's similar to the 3600x

3700 won't make any difference. same performance as 3600. also, don't get the 3600x, unless it's the same price as the 3600. they are the same cpu, the x has a slightly better cooler.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

@Davemaster84 this will also solve your motherboard issue, as you could get a msi b450 tomahawk max or a-pro max, which is ryzen 3000 ready.

Sadly those boards are branded as cross fire instead of sli :(

3700 won't make any difference. same performance as 3600. also, don't get the 3600x, unless it's the same price as the 3600. they are the same cpu, the x has a slightly better cooler.

So they overclock the same, right? Of course if you leave thermals aside 

yes

3 minutes ago, Davemaster84 said:

i meant that if you give up the idea of sli, you won't need a x470/x570 board anymore.

2 minutes ago, Davemaster84 said:

SLI support is dead. Crossfire basically is as well, but it's free so they're still adding it to motherboards.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

BFV still does, IIRC some other more current ones. Console ports like RDR2 don't play nice with it though AFAIK. All the titles released when SLI was still more relevant still run fine on it too. 

SLI 1080 Tis makes sense, since that's the best time to use SLI now. When you have the best/second best card for your generation (so 1080/1080 Ti for Pascal) and want more perf. A 2080 Ti will likely cost far more than a 1080 Ti, and if games scale well the 1080 Tis will absolutely stomp the 2080 Ti. Same as how my SLI 1080s in games that played nice absolutely stomped the 1080 Ti. And since it's a 1080 Ti, in games that do not scale well, a single card can still push 1440p60-144 at perfectly eyeball pleasing settings. 

^^^ Only the X chipsets for AM4 will run SLI. The B450 ones don't do x8/x8 for SLI. You need x8/x8 or x16/x16 (only possible with HEDT or a PLX chip or whatever) for SLI, anything lower just doesn't work. Tis the reason I moved from a B450 board to an X470 one back when I wanted to try SLI with my 2700X. 

Ehhh.. better to just get a solid cooler and enable PBO. Usually makes for better gaming performance vs an all-core OC. Ryzens usually can't clock to their max single core boost on all cores, so unless you use 100% of all cores it's not much of a benefit. My 2700X was slower in games at 4.2Ghz all core because with PBO it'd push two cores to 4.35-4.4Ghz which was more important for gaming. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

SLI support is dead. Crossfire basically is as well, but it's free so they're still adding it to motherboards.

For the newest titles other than Battlefield, yeah pretty much. Again, not everyone only ever plays current titles, and if you're down to tweak you can pull some stupid perf numbers out of an SLI setup in a lot of titles. And again, given they're 1080 Tis, a single card will handle the OP's desired res at perfectly acceptable settings just fine. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

BFV still does, IIRC some other more current ones. Console ports like RDR2 don't play nice with it though AFAIK. All the titles released when SLI was still more relevant still run fine on it too. 

SLI 1080 Tis makes sense, since that's the best time to use SLI now. When you have the best/second best card for your generation (so 1080/1080 Ti for Pascal) and want more perf. A 2080 Ti will likely cost far more than a 1080 Ti, and if games scale well the 1080 Tis will absolutely stomp the 2080 Ti. Same as how my SLI 1080s in games that played nice absolutely stomped the 1080 Ti. And since it's a 1080 Ti, in games that do not scale well, a single card can still push 1440p60-144 at perfectly eyeball pleasing settings. 

^^^ Only the X chipsets for AM4 will run SLI. The B450 ones don't do x8/x8 for SLI. You need x8/x8 or x16/x16 (only possible with HEDT or a PLX chip or whatever) for SLI, anything lower just doesn't work. Tis the reason I moved from a B450 board to an X470 one back when I wanted to try SLI with my 2700X. 

Ehhh.. better to just get a solid cooler and enable PBO. Usually makes for better gaming performance vs an all-core OC. Ryzens usually can't clock to their max single core boost on all cores, so unless you use 100% of all cores it's not much of a benefit. My 2700X was slower in games at 4.2Ghz all core because with PBO it'd push two cores to 4.35-4.4Ghz which was more important for gaming. 

For the newest titles other than Battlefield, yeah pretty much. Again, not everyone only ever plays current titles, and if you're down to tweak you can pull some stupid perf numbers out of an SLI setup in a lot of titles. And again, given they're 1080 Tis, a single card will handle the OP's desired res at perfectly acceptable settings just fine. 

I think that Sli will be coming back this year, why? Because we are seeing a tendency to play in faster refresh rates, specially after Nvidia released the 360hz, and not even the mighty 2080ti can pull that much fps at 1080p alone, in all titles. I think that the x470 mobos are the sweet spot atm and also are mandatory for sli configurations. The problem with ryzen overall is that there isn't much room for OC compared to the blue team, but of course the speed ratios are different, and cannot be compared apples to apples. 

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i meant that if you give up the idea of sli, you won't need a x470/x570 board anymore.

That I can't! I have been into sli since the 400 series! 

I think that Sli will be coming back this year, why? Because we are seeing a tendency to play in faster refresh rates, specially after Nvidia released the 360hz, and not even the mighty 2080ti can pull that much fps at 1080p alone, in all titles. I think that the x470 mobos are the sweet spot atm and also are mandatory for sli configurations. The problem with ryzen overall is that there isn't much room for OC compared to the blue team, but of course the speed ratios are different, and cannot be compared apples to apples. 

Issue isn't so much demand for high resolutions/refresh rates (4K144Hz is like half the price it used to be, you can get a damn good monitor for around $700 now, which is higher end 1440p UW range pricing). It's devs not building with multi GPU setups in mind, since the majority of gamers still use a single card. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch