APC SCL500RM1UC UPS

DigitalPixel

I would like to get this UPS for my upcoming home network rack build but don't understand what the Modbus TCP switch on the back is used for. I can't find any documentation on this.

I just want this shallow UPS to be used for my Synology 918+ that will be sitting in the rack. From my understanding the USB would connected to the 918+ NAS and this would initiate a safe shutdown if the UPS goes on battery power. I would also have a Ubiquity switch and gateway connected to this UPS.

Another issue is if I have the USB connected to the 918+ how can I use the PowerChute software that will be installed on a PC? Can I just use a USB hub for this?

APC.JPG

After some Googling:

MODBUS TCP/IP is a variant of the MODBUS family of simple, vendor-neutral communication protocols intended for supervision and control of automation equipment. Specifically, it covers the use of MODBUS messaging in an 'Intranet' or 'Internet' environment using the TCP/IP protocols.

So a serial communication protocol running over TCP/IP. I'm guessing the switch may be some form of physical security where the function may be disabled, read only, or read/write.

A means to control access to managing the UPS over the network. A security feature so to speak. That's what it looks like to me. Let someone else double-check that.

As for the other question Is say it's best to directly connect it to the unit. If anything goes wrong with the hub the server may not shut down in the event of power failure.

I think this is something that I won't need to use. Seems like its geared towards professional applications. I still like the UPS as its very shallow and light. Perfect fit for the wall rack I'm interested in.

So lets say I first connect it to a PC via USB and make some configuration changes in PowerChute, then disconnect it from the PC and connect it to the NAS. Will all the settings I made be retained in the UPS memory?

19 minutes ago, DigitalPixel said:

I think this is something that I won't need to use. Seems like its geared towards professional applications. I still like the UPS as its very shallow and light. Perfect fit for the wall rack I'm interested in.

So lets say I first connect it to a PC via USB and make some configuration changes in PowerChute, then disconnect it from the PC and connect it to the NAS. Will all the settings I made be retained in the UPS memory?

Why not just make the config in the NAS? With my QNAP unit my APC UPS pop right up in the settings of the NAS. I did my config via the web browser on the NAS directly. The only thing that sucks is the NAS will be the only thing that gets the signal to shut down. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

41 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Why not just make the config in the NAS? With my QNAP unit my APC UPS pop right up in the settings of the NAS. I did my config via the web browser on the NAS directly. The only thing that sucks is the NAS will be the only thing that gets the signal to shut down. 

That's what I plan to do if my Synology NAS recognizes the UPS. I don't have this UPS yet so I can't test it out. The only settings that can be made in Synology are time delay/low batter to when to initiate a shutdown. The UPS via PowerChute has more options to configure but I don't think I can have both the NAS and a PC connected to the UPS as there is only one USB port on the UPS. 

1 minute ago, DigitalPixel said:

but I don't think I can have both the NAS and a PC connected to the UPS as there is only one USB port on the UPS. 

You cant. What other options do you need to use? Generally you just need the NAS to shut down before the UPS runs out of power. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.