is it okay for a xfx rx 570 to run at 79c

Ls9L

so ive been playing games at 1080p and my gpu would max out around 60c but when i bumped my resolution up to 4k it maxed out at 79c. is that okay for the xfx rx 570 im just scared im going to break something because this is my first pc and ive already blown a psu on accident because i forgot to power it off before plugging it in lololol

1 minute ago, Ls9L said:

so ive been playing games at 1080p and my gpu would max out around 60c but when i bumped my resolution up to 4k it maxed out at 79c. is that okay for the xfx rx 570 im just scared im going to break something because this is my first pc and ive already blown a psu on accident because i forgot to power it off before plugging it in lololol

79 C is good, if your ambient temperature is about 20 C.

It makes sense if your GPU is running hotter when playing on 4K

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

First, undervolt the GPU

How is the airflow in your case? What type of case& how many intake&exhaust fans with what speed?

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

11 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

it's not going to hurt it, but i question why you'd decide to play in 4k on a card that's firmly in the 1080p category.

i'd also question how you managed to blow a power supply up just from plugging it in, to be honest. inrush current protection usually takes care of that.

i decided to play on 4k because on 1080p all max settings i get around 80 fps and 4k all low i get around 150fps and surprisingly 4k looks way better on low than 1080p on all high  

and i blew my psu by not powering it off  and when i plugged it back in sparks flew everywhere 

6 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

First, undervolt the GPU

How is the airflow in your case? What type of case& how many intake&exhaust fans with what speed?

what does undervolting do ?? 

the airflow is great i have a 2 fan radiator for the cpu and 3 other fans in the case 

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

undervolting is fine if OP has some knowledge on what they're doing with it. i wouldn't necessarily reccomend it to someone who's just trying to use their gpu. from the information given this seems to be more vsync related where the 60c is running fine at 1080p60 (presumably) and then op has somehow decided to run the card at 4k (supersampled or native who knows why) and the thing's having to work flat out the whole time. 79c seems reasonable given the circumstances (and considering the actual heat exchanger on the xfx 570 is pretty small compared to the swept area of the fans)

lol i have no idea what undervolting is or how to do it. like does it decrease performance ? whats the point in doing it ?

and read my last message about the fps i prefer 4k more because it looks way better and i get better fps

im on a 75hz 4k 60 inch tv btw 

31 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

Temps are fine, but you could look at redoing the thermal paste with something a little better. If the card is 2+ years old, it's probably a good idea to take it apart, repaste it and clean it out.

7 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

lol i have no idea what undervolting is or how to do it. like does it decrease performance ? whats the point in doing it ?

and read my last message about the fps i prefer 4k more because it looks way better and i get better fps

Undervolting is advanced. Like an overclock but backwards.   Can run something at same speed with less power (and therefore less heat) if done right.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

that's down to your PSU then, really. turning a power supply on/plugging it in should not cause it to fail in any circumstance, even if the back switch is on. inrush current will happen regardless of when (or where) the electrical supply is connected. sounds more like the inrush current protection failed.

it was a 600w thermaltake smart series 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Temps are fine, but you could look at redoing the thermal paste with something a little better. If the card is 2+ years old, it's probably a good idea to take it apart, repaste it and clean it out.

its a week old bought it brand new 

Just now, yaboistar said:

as for having an rx570 running 150FPS 4k... hm.

if that is even remotely true, you should enable vsync so that it only outputs to the refresh rate of the TV. since your card is able to drive a 4k display at 150fps, you should see a temperature reduction from enabling vsync so that it only has to drive 4k 75fps

ill post a video of it doing 4k 150fps in a sec and yeah i keep it capped a little higher than my tvs refresh rate so there are less dips in fps. so its capped at 90 on 75hz

37 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

as for having an rx570 running 150FPS 4k... hm.

if that is even remotely true, you should enable vsync so that it only outputs to the refresh rate of the TV. since your card is able to drive a 4k display at 150fps, you should see a temperature reduction from enabling vsync so that it only has to drive 4k 75fps

i had to trim it like crazy i was running around and stuff and it was staying at 150-200 fps   

FPS is at the top right of the screen 

52 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

You can also lock to fps to 75 by vsync.

It will reduce the load on the gpu hence lowering the temprature.

2 hours ago, Ls9L said:

ill post a video of it doing 4k 150fps in a sec and yeah i keep it capped a little higher than my tvs refresh rate so there are less dips in fps. so its capped at 90 on 75hz

Could turn on Chill and cap the frame rate. It keeps temperatures down.

3 hours ago, Ls9L said:

i decided to play on 4k because on 1080p all max settings i get around 80 fps and 4k all low i get around 150fps and surprisingly 4k looks way better on low than 1080p on all high  

and i blew my psu by not powering it off  and when i plugged it back in sparks flew everywhere 

What PSU were you using?  That just doesn't happen normally, as you describe it.  If it did, it wasn't your fault, it would be due to a seriously faulty unit.

For your GPU, that is fine.  Stay under 85c and you're good.