question about watercooling

Just now, Juular said:

All in one watercooling solution, another name - CLC, closed loop cooling. I.e prebuild watercooling piece, just slap waterblock on the CPU, screw in radiator on the chassis and you're set, in contrast with custom loop which you need to build yourself from scratch and which is generally bought piece by piece, all these tubes, fittings, cold plates and coolant, there are some kits tho.

can i buy one of amazon?

Just now, JohnDoe94 said:

can i buy one of amazon?

AIO ? Sure there's a ton of them : https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10280,10360&xcx=0

Custom loop kit ? As i said, there are some from EKWB, maybe some others, i'm not really into custom loops : https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-KIT-Performance-Watercooling-P360/dp/B01CIWC38Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ekwb+custom+loop+kit&qid=1580329388&sr=8-1

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

AIO ? Sure there's a ton of them : https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10280,10360&xcx=0

Custom loop kit ? As i said, there are some from EKWB, maybe some others, i'm not really into custom loops : https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-KIT-Performance-Watercooling-P360/dp/B01CIWC38Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ekwb+custom+loop+kit&qid=1580329388&sr=8-1

this cant be real 450$ is a lot of money more than my cpu and GPU who would buy this?

1 minute ago, JohnDoe94 said:

this cant be real 450$ is a lot of money more than my cpu and GPU who would buy this?

It's custom loop, they're expensive. And even most AIOs are too expensive for most builds, just stick with air cooler, depending on your region you might find Scythe Fuma 2, Scythe Ninja 5, be quiet! Dark Rock 4, maybe smth from Notcua for about 50-60 USD\EUR, that will be more than enough for OC'd 8700k in gaming.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

It's custom loop, they're expensive. And even most AIOs are too expensive for most builds, just stick with air cooler, depending on your region you might find Scythe Fuma 2, Scythe Ninja 5, be quiet! Dark Rock 4, maybe smth from Notcua for about 50-60 USD\EUR, that will be more than enough for OC'd 8700k in gaming.

plus its only cooling my cpu? what about my gpu?

5 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

plus its only cooling my cpu? what about my gpu?

It's easy to add GPU to the custom loop, that's the whole point of it, to be maintainable and extendable, just make it's powerful enough for both CPU and GPU. But as you've already noticed, it's expensive, even more so with GPU as GPU waterblocks may easily go up to 100-150$.

If you want to watercool GPU relatively cheap, there are AIOs for them too but that's honestly doesn't worth it for anything lower than RTX2080 Super\Ti and they're not that universal as CPU AIOs. In short, forget about watercooling GPUs.

They did a review of that aio that cools both. Seems like what you would need. Price and skill wise. Or stick to air cooling for now. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

19 hours ago, JohnDoe94 said:

i have some basic understanding of watercooling but i would like to know if someone who has no experience in watercooling a pc can and should watercool their pc if it makes any difference at all

Just did it my dude. Never done one before and all i did was just research my ass off. Was the most rewarding PC i have ever built, you learn a ton. 100%, 10/10 would suggest again. 

IMG_20200127_143216.jpg

3 hours ago, Dumathoinn said:

Just did it my dude. Never done one before and all i did was just research my ass off. Was the most rewarding PC i have ever built, you learn a ton. 100%, 10/10 would suggest again. 

IMG_20200127_143216.jpg

unfortunately im not a fan of the fancy colors im more fan of this example of my PC being 

If that were true you wouldn’t have an 8700k. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

i heard undervolting giving less power can lower heat emition from the CPU i think that would be something good for my CPU to last longer if its getting less hot makes sense right?

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

sorry wrong thread

7 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

i heard undervolting giving less power can lower heat emition from the CPU i think that would be something good for my CPU to last longer if its getting less hot makes sense right?

Sure if that’s something you believe. Can lower the clock too if you want to produce less heat. 

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

i know but those i9s and bigger CPUs came out after i bought my 8700k which at the time was like intels BEST CPU on the market at least the best CPU i could see in the moment so yeah i want to make it as powerful as it can be but i change my mind id like to try to lower the thermals inside it so it will last very long until i do need to do some overclocking in order to be able to play games in like idk 2024 i guess

23 hours ago, JohnDoe94 said:

Uh... Yeah It'll be alot more effective... But alot more expensive. You can get a basic closed loop for ~$60 USD + (most expensive closed loops go to ~$200) and do a custom loop for higher than 1k (you can get a much cheaper one, like $300-400, or even less without things like a res.). But 8700k with that cooler isn't the greated combo for like overclocking ect. As long as you don't do heavy sustained loads, it should be fine, but if you want: Silence, overclocking, or good looks (that's relitive to who you ask), and don't mind the price, closed loop is a good place to start, but if you feel up to it, a full custom open loop can be very effective, can (obviously) be customized to your liking, and some parts can be reused in future builds (if you treat the parts well) If you decide to open loop- make sure you are prepared to clean the loop at least once a year at the most, but reccomened every 6 months or so. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

29 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

or cool it better... 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

32 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

overclocking in order to be able to play games in like idk 2024 i guess

Depends on the games you play, but the 1660Ti is going to probably be the bigger problem by then ;)