Static Electricity - a question

PyroTheWise

I have watched numerous build guide videos from LTT and I have really learned a lot - thanks!

Now I have a question because in one video, it is stated to be careful touching certain parts of the back of a motherboard but that is not repeated in other videos.

Also, the dreaded static electricity discharge.   So it got me thinking, is there a way to handle both at the same time?   What about using something like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO9RKGQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01CO9RKGQ&pd_rd_w=wwRSM&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=EnF2M&pf_rd_r=4RPA8GZ0R1RJH82H0FN2&pd_rd_r=de7b212b-4d4e-4e01-a99a-81ba5e9b0f12&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVkxDVE8wTEI1OVNDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE0NTQzM01CVDA2MzQxMTY3OSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDQwOTU1NDlSMTlCNkwyNlEyJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Basic nitrile gloves that will keep oils from your hands off your computer components.  They fit tight so you don't lose finger dexterity.   Now comes the question of static electricity.  i don't know if these would be thick enough to prevent a spark between the person and computer components.

Thoughts?   I know this is probably stupid but I figure it was best to ask first the "try" it and see with my first computer build.

If in doubt always ground yourself.

s-l1000.jpg

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

what about the hand oils getting on the motherboard?  is that something to worry about?

Oils getting on the motherboard are okay if they are just from your hand. In my numerous PC refreshes I have done at work (swapping out HDD for SSD and adding 8gb of RAM) I have actually never grounded myself and I haven't had anything bad happen.

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

7 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

what about the hand oils getting on the motherboard?  is that something to worry about?

Not unless youre me and your body over produces. They make anti static gloves, dont use nitrile. 

interesting didn't know

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Not unless youre me and your body over produces. They make anti static gloves, dont use nitrile. 

Interesting, I didn't realize there was anti-static gloves.  I don't normally product static shocks (it is rare when it happens)

19 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

I have watched numerous build guide videos from LTT and I have really learned a lot - thanks!

Now I have a question because in one video, it is stated to be careful touching certain parts of the back of a motherboard but that is not repeated in other videos.

Also, the dreaded static electricity discharge.   So it got me thinking, is there a way to handle both at the same time?   What about using something like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO9RKGQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01CO9RKGQ&pd_rd_w=wwRSM&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=EnF2M&pf_rd_r=4RPA8GZ0R1RJH82H0FN2&pd_rd_r=de7b212b-4d4e-4e01-a99a-81ba5e9b0f12&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVkxDVE8wTEI1OVNDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE0NTQzM01CVDA2MzQxMTY3OSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDQwOTU1NDlSMTlCNkwyNlEyJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Basic nitrile gloves that will keep oils from your hands off your computer components.  They fit tight so you don't lose finger dexterity.   Now comes the question of static electricity.  i don't know if these would be thick enough to prevent a spark between the person and computer components.

Thoughts?   I know this is probably stupid but I figure it was best to ask first the "try" it and see with my first computer build.

Nitrile can be staticky. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Nitrile can be staticky. 

Did not know this - thanks!

Look, if those gloves are on your hands, they are electrically part of you. If you're charged, the gloves are charged. Them being insulators and blocking sparks from your hands is a misconception; a PVC pipe is an excellent insulator but it can shock you pretty badly when charged.

Anti-static devices, like those bracelets, work by grounding the body they're on, in order to discharge them, rather than by attempting to "block arcs".

I should point out that static build-up on a person isn't very fast or effective (at least it never happens to me, unless it's extremely dry or I've been walking a lot on carpet) so usually you can get away with the good old "touch something grounded every once in a while when building" technique.

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

Look, if those gloves are on your hands, they are electrically part of you. If you're charged, the gloves are charged. Them being insulators and blocking sparks from your hands is a misconception; a PVC pipe is an excellent insulator but it can shock you pretty badly when charged.

Anti-static devices, like those bracelets, work by grounding the body they're on, in order to discharge them, rather than by attempting to "block arcs".

I should point out that static build-up on a person isn't very fast or effective (at least it never happens to me, unless it's extremely dry or I've been walking a lot on carpet) so usually you can get away with the good old "touch something grounded every once in a while when building" technique.

Okay.  Thanks for the information.  Very informative.   I will be building at my work desk and not on carpet so the likely hood of static build-up is minimal, but will probably get a wrist strap just in case.

5 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Okay.  Thanks for the information.  Very informative.   I will be building at my work desk and not on carpet so the likely hood of static build-up is minimal, but will probably get a wrist strap just in case.

As long as there’s a grounded piece of metal around you can touch it occasionally and be find.  That’s all a strap is.  It’s grounding a piece of metal and attaching it to you.  I’ve been known to use old hot water radiators.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, PyroTheWise said:

They can tarnish traces or any other exposed metal, but that's about it.

48 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

You can also plug the PSU in and touch the metal housing once in a while.

1 hour ago, PyroTheWise said:

I always put some rubbing alcohol (70% solution) on my hands before I work on any PC parts. It helps get rid of the oils. I'm a bit OC so I do this.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

5 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

I don't normally product static shocks (it is rare when it happens)

Even if you don't feel anything, you can still be statically charged and discharge it onto a component when you touch it. You don't always feel it. Better to just always use a grounding strap and protect your investment(s). 

when it comes to consumer electronics like parts used in a normal pc, damage from static discharge is incredibly rare. I would not worry too much about it. Just touch something that is grounded every now and then. As someone that works with electronics and bare ic's on a daily basis, iv only seen a few cases, and those all where during electrical safety testing.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

14 minutes ago, bob345 said:

when it comes to consumer electronics like parts used in a normal pc, damage from static discharge is incredibly rare. I would not worry too much about it. Just touch something that is grounded every now and then. As someone that works with electronics and bare ic's on a daily basis, iv only seen a few cases, and those all where during electrical safety testing.

There was another thread about that recently that sort of brought that into some question.  The issue was that static electricity damage is also incredibly difficult to detect. 

Been building computers for 20 years and have discharged static on to a variety of components with no effect.  

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Purgent said:

Been building computers for 20 years and have discharged static on to a variety of components with no effect.  

Doesn't mean it can't happen. When I'm working on a 6 figure or more server I'm going to ground myself every time. Your body can produce shocks that will fry components and if you can alleviate the risk why not??

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

This is feeling a lot like the last static electricity thread.   It’s a problem people haven’t seen.  The last time there were only one or two people  who could conclusively claim it ever even happened, and both of them were long ago and involved memory without heatsinks on it.  Meanwhile the math says static problems exist and get even worse as traces get smaller, and mitigation remains easy.

It could be an urban Myth, or something that used to be a thing but has been mitigated with modern systems.  It’s very very hard to tell.

Edited by Bombastinator
Typo and conclusion

I will be grounding myself when I do the build.  I would rather not hurt this investment when proctecting from it is easy enough.

Thanks to all for the information.