Is MSI considered a reliable company to buy high quality components from?

I was reading an article about PC building and one of the “tips” was: “Only buy components from well known companies with a proven track record.” 

Im wondering if MSI is one of those companies that PC builders feel comfortable buying components from?

Or is it one of those companies with a shady record that should be avoided when possible?

I know there are a lot of manufacturers out there and some of them don’t make quality components, such as the ones people say never to buy a PSU from because it could damage other components or worse.

If anyone could help me out and let me know I’d appreciate it. I want to make sure I buy my parts from reliable companies.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Yeah they are fine, I have had my share of MSI main boards and GPU's over the years with a couple of issues on them, but no more or less than any other manufacturer. 

1 minute ago, yumdumpster said:

Yeah they are fine, I have had my share of MSI main boards and GPU's over the years with a couple of issues on them, but no more or less than any other manufacturer. 

Ah ok thanks!

Im kind of worried about buying from manufacturers I’m not familiar with since once I bought a Great Wall PSU and I had never heard of that company and everyone was telling me “DONT USE IT!”

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

4 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Ah ok thanks!

Im kind of worried about buying from manufacturers I’m not familiar with since once I bought a Great Wall PSU and I had never heard of that company and everyone was telling me “DONT USE IT!”

I would +1 that, the only Great wall I have heard of is the shitty chinese buffet down the street from my house. 

3 minutes ago, yumdumpster said:

I would +1 that, the only Great wall I have heard of is the shitty chinese buffet down the street from my house. 

? That’s why I want to make sure I use components from reliable companies with a proven history of producing high quality products.

So far I know EVGA, AMD, Corsair, NZXT, Nvidia, Cooler Master and Gigabyte..

But I wasn’t sure if MSI was one of those companies that I could feel comfortable buying from and installing the component in my PC.

i would recomend there gpus i bought a used gtx 960 4gb almost 2 years ago and i havent been so nice to it and it still works like its brand new 

1 minute ago, Luna.exe said:

i would recomend there gpus i bought a used gtx 960 4gb almost 2 years ago and i havent been so nice to it and it still works like its brand new 

Hmm I was actually considering motherboards not GPUs but usually a reliable company has reliable parts in all the components they make not just one or a few.

EVGA & Corsair are the companies I trust the most. Not counting Intel/Nvidia/AMD.

Renown brands for mainboards are: MSI, Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte, Evga and a few more that offer specialized/ and or niche products. The same goes for graphics cards but there are even a few more like Gainward, Zotac, Palit plus of course AMD and Nvidia themselves. For PSU there are also a lot of trustworthy manufacturers like Corsair, Asus, Thermaltake, be quiet!, Seasonic, Gigabyte, Cooler Master, NZXT, Sharkoon, EVGA to name a few... This list is by no means comprehensive but should give you a general idea what to look for.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

5 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Hmm I was actually considering motherboards not GPUs but usually a reliable company has reliable parts in all the components they make not just one or a few.

EVGA & Corsair are the companies I trust the most. Not counting Intel/Nvidia/AMD.

iv actually only had corsair products i think there trustworthy 

13 hours ago, Luna.exe said:

iv actually only had corsair products i think there trustworthy 

Really?? An entire build of Corsair only products? ? 

Or do you mean motherboards? Do they make motherboards? ? 

18 hours ago, yumdumpster said:

^^^ Basically. 

Same as any other company, some people have a horrible time, some have a great time, in general they're fine. EVGA due to their warranty and customer support (if you're in an area they service) are usually a slight step above the rest, but on average all the big companies have pros and cons that generally balance out. It gets stickier if you compare product to product (like on some gens ASUS stuff is the best, others it's MSI, sometimes it's Gigabyte, all depends on budget, use case, and what hardware we're talking about). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

No they dont make motherboards. At least not recently. 

9 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

i wish they made motherboards lmao it would be nice 

I think it's worth adding that all of the companies discussed here make products to both high and low standards in an attempt to capture the widest market possible. In many ways, you get what you pay for.  MSI has definitely worked hard to maintain a high reputation though. I also want to 2nd an earlier comment on EVGA support being amazing.. They have become my only source for graphics cards.

21 minutes ago, OCSmash said:

I think it's worth adding that all of the companies discussed here make products to both high and low standards in an attempt to capture the widest market possible. In many ways, you get what you pay for.  MSI has definitely worked hard to maintain a high reputation though. I also want to 2nd an earlier comment on EVGA support being amazing.. They have become my only source for graphics cards.

I know they all make a wide range of products from low end to mid range to high end.

But what I mean is that some companies make products that should never be bought by anyone.

Like the PSU I was talking about. It was made by a company myself and my friend had never heard of and I was advised not to buy it because it could cause damage to the rest of my system or even catch on fire.

Its not that it was “low end” like say a low end Corsair PSU, but rather that it was from a company with unreliable products and without a proven track record.

1 hour ago, Luna.exe said:

i wish they made motherboards lmao it would be nice 

It would certainly help people who want corsair's RGB stuff. All other RGB ecosystems include the Mainboard and thus allow control of the lighting by some Mainboard related software. But if you choose Corsair you often end up with 2 RGB control solutions. Unless of course you go for a Mainboard with no RGB at all.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

Just now, oeci said:

It would certainly help people who want corsair's RGB stuff. All other RGB ecosystems include the Mainboard and thus allow control of the lighting by some Mainboard related software. But if you choose Corsair you often end up with 2 RGB control solutions. Unless of course you go for a Mainboard with no RGB at all.

I actually have 4x Corsair LL120 fans and am using the Lighting Node that came with the 3- pack of fans to control the RGB through iCUE.

Theyre expensive fans though. Like $35 for each 120mm fan.