water cooling in a corsair obsidian 250D

Hello, this is my first post on this forum so bear with me here. I want to know if this build would be at all possible, if the components would fit in the case, etc.

Here is the theoretical high performance mini itx build:

Case - Corsair Obsidian 250D

Motherboard - Asus maximus vi impact

CPU - intel i7 4770k

Video card - Asus ROG Poseidon gtx 780

Liquid coolers - Swifttech h220 and Phobya Xtreme 200mm radiator + an additional pump

The reason I chose the ROG Poseidon and the h220 is because I want to start with just the cpu being liquid cooled by the h220 and upgrading later. I would like to have it all in one loop. Also, should I use just the h220 for the cpu and gpu, or add on the 200mm radiator and pump? or would I need the extra pump?

I think the swifttech h220 is only about 2mm thicker than the h100i, so it should fit fine.

I might also put a 2x80mm radiator at the rear, any thoughts on this?

If someone can give me some tips for all this, then that would be great. 

Don't get an additional pump. Just get the H220 and expand it to the 780, it has more than enough cooling potential for both components, GPUs don't give off much heat. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

You don't need to expand the pump and you will definitely want that 200mm rad once you add the GPU

You don't need to expand the pump and you will definitely want that 200mm rad once you add the GPU

Thanks, I was hoping that is the case. But will that particular rad fit in the front of the 250D?

According to my knowledge the poseidon is a piece of shit... 

How is it a piece of shit? It's a DCU2 basically with a different cooler.

How is it a piece of shit? It's a DCU2 basically with a different cooler.

It's a piece of shit temp wise. (compared to a 'real waterblock') 

It's a piece of shit temp wise. (compared to a 'real waterblock') 

I agree its probably not the highest performance option, but I don't think it is that bad. Anyway, I want it because it can do both air and water cooling and I don't want to open up the card and put a waterblock on it myself. same reason I want the h220.

since you're planning on expanding to add your gpu to the mix later, I'd go with one of the "custom loop" kits made by various watercooling manufacturer's over the H220.  Those have better rads and you won't have to go and get rid of any components later on, just expand on what you have...

or you can piece together your own custom loop, starting off with cpu only and adding gpu later

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Hello, this is my first post on this forum so bear with me here. I want to know if this build would be at all possible, if the components would fit in the case, etc.

Here is the theoretical high performance mini itx build:

Case - Corsair Obsidian 250D

Motherboard - Asus maximus vi impact

CPU - intel i7 4770k

Video card - Asus ROG Poseidon gtx 780

Liquid coolers - Swifttech h220 and Phobya Xtreme 200mm radiator + an additional pump

The reason I chose the ROG Poseidon and the h220 is because I want to start with just the cpu being liquid cooled by the h220 and upgrading later. I would like to have it all in one loop. Also, should I use just the h220 for the cpu and gpu, or add on the 200mm radiator and pump? or would I need the extra pump?

I think the swifttech h220 is only about 2mm thicker than the h100i, so it should fit fine.

I might also put a 2x80mm radiator at the rear, any thoughts on this?

If someone can give me some tips for all this, then that would be great. 

Linus' review of the 250D suggested that using the 240mm bracket on the side would block off some of the radiator space at the front (and, even though there are screw holes for a 200mm radiator), the side radiator would get in the way. Especially if you're thinking about the 80mm rads on the back, you'd have to run the tubings out the front then. Or sacrifice the rear rads to better route your tubing for your larger rads.

Also looking at Linus' video (again), that 2mm might still be tight. How thick are your fans?

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

Linus' review of the 250D suggested that using the 240mm bracket on the side would block off some of the radiator space at the front (and, even though there are screw holes for a 200mm radiator), the side radiator would get in the way. Especially if you're thinking about the 80mm rads on the back, you'd have to run the tubings out the front then. Or sacrifice the rear rads to better route your tubing for your larger rads.

Also looking at Linus' video (again), that 2mm might still be tight. How thick are your fans?

I'll measure it all out when I get the case, and the fans are 25mm thick. Looking at pictures with a h100i and sp120s, it looks like it would be tight, but room for 2mm extra. I believe the sp120s are also 25mm thick.

since you're planning on expanding to add your gpu to the mix later, I'd go with one of the "custom loop" kits made by various watercooling manufacturer's over the H220.  Those have better rads and you won't have to go and get rid of any components later on, just expand on what you have...

or you can piece together your own custom loop, starting off with cpu only and adding gpu later

well the h220 is expandable. I just want to start off with it being an all in one cooling setup, and then later expand the h220.

well the h220 is expandable. I just want to start off with it being an all in one cooling setup, and then later expand the h220.

technically yes, but its still really an AIO...  If i knew for sure I was gonna expand, I'd just start off with a small custom loop.  I'm sure most people on here would agree with me...  and an AIO's cpu block is never gonna be as good as one for a custom loop.

another thing to consider regarding the 200 rad is fan thickness,  I haven't looked into it but I dont think anyone makes a 25mm think 200mm fan, pretty sure they're all thicker.  and I also dont think anyone makes static pressure optimized 200 fan.  But Silverstone does make a static pressure optimized 180mm fan.  so you might actually get better performance out of a 180 rad just cause of the fan...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

The 200mm rad will not fit, and by what I have seen a 140mm rad is the biggest you can fit in the front when you have a gpu and 240 rad (but the 140mm can be as thick as you like;)

Another thing is the poseidon will NOT fit with water cooling (TTL's review said even a normal direct CU2 will barely fit)

Thinking of doing something similar and I also want to get a double 80mm rad in the back, but i have doubts it will fit:/

• 3 weeks later...

Do we know for sure that the H220 will even fit in the 250D with the extended length of the rad? This is something I've been trying to find out for days

• 3 months later...

the h100i barely fits with the maximus impact having a daughter board for power delivery. i had to switch my fans from stock to the bequiet silent wings i had laying around to stop them from vibrating against the back of the daughter board.

options i have looked into suggest using a 30mm thick rad with thin fans or thin 19mm rads with high static pressure fans. these options give enough clearance.

you will have to plan out the loop very carefully, and with how high the fittings come off the Poseidon i dont think there will be enough room to get the top panel on i barely fit the power connectors on my reference 780ti 

Take a look at this build http://www.overclock.net/t/1484926/build-log-minirog-i7-4770k-gtx-780-poseidon-expanded-h220-loop

read the last paragraph under the pics he describes how the top panel will not fit with the fittings on the poseidon

Edited by Rocket01666