Gpu usage low on brand new computer

ODD_BOX307

Hey so just got a new pc big upgrades from my last my specs are i7 9700F rtx 2070 super 600 watt psu 16 gb ram I booted up some games test it out and I’m getting 40-50 percent gpu and 70-80 percent cpu I am super confused why I went into nvidia control panel switched to high performance even went to the regular control panel and went to balanced and made sure pci express was power saver was off I’m really confused and need help

well if cpu is 70-80 percent, it sounds like the game is cpu intensive and it's being limited by the cpu, not gpu. the gpu would happily push more frames, but the  cpu struggles. what game is this and what fps are you getting. do you have a similar issue in other games as well?

What PSU model is it? Are you running single or dual channel memory? What resolution are you playing on and in what games do you see this happen?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What PSU model is it? Are you running single or dual channel memory? What resolution are you playing on and in what games do you see this happen?

I’ve played insurgency sandstone which isn’t too optimized he’ll let loose and rising storm 2 Vietnam played at 1080p there’s only two ram slots both are 8gb ram sticks

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

well if cpu is 70-80 percent, it sounds like the game is cpu intensive and it's being limited by the cpu, not gpu. the gpu would happily push more frames, but the  cpu struggles. what game is this and what fps are you getting. do you have a similar issue in other games as well?

Insurgency sandstorm, he’ll let loose and rising storm 2 Vietnam 

2 minutes ago, ODD_BOX307 said:

there’s only two ram slots

Uh Oh, cheap motherboard alert. Have you checked to see if your CPU is turboing correctly?

A pcpartpicker spec list helps

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

do you have xmp enabled?

Don’t know what that is

ram overclocking profile, to get your ram to run at the rated speed. you'll find it in bios, just need to tick enable, nothing else

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Uh Oh, cheap motherboard alert. Have you checked to see if your CPU is turboing correctly?

A pcpartpicker spec list helps

I mean I looked at it once in task manger and it was up at 4.5 ghz I mean even at one point while I was playing The cpu went to 100 percent which is crazy 

Be sure to check to make sure you dont have framerate limiter or Vsync enabled in the game settings.

Edit: Maybe try a benchmark like unigine superposition and see if it hits 100% there.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Just now, ODD_BOX307 said:

I mean I looked at it once in task manger and it was up at 4.5 ghz I mean even at one point while I was playing The cpu went to 100 percent which is crazy 

Don't use task manager to check frequency because it doesn't always report correctly.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Be sure to check to make sure you dont have framerate limiter or Vsync enabled in the game settings.

Edit: Maybe try a benchmark like unigine superposition and see if it hits 100% there.

And if it does hit 100 percent what could be the problem with the games then

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Don't use task manager to check frequency because it doesn't always report correctly.

How should I check 

2 minutes ago, ODD_BOX307 said:

And if it does hit 100 percent what could be the problem with the games then

Most likely yes.

I recommend MSI afterburner for system resource usage monitoring if you don't already use it.

EDIT: could be something like drivers also

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, ODD_BOX307 said:
5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

How should I check 

I usually use hardwaremonitor

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

Most likely yes.

I recommend MSI afterburner for system resource usage monitoring if you don't already use it.

EDIT: could be something like drivers also

I did make sure my drivers where updated but idk I wasn’t sure if I like maybe did set something up right or

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I usually use hardwaremonitor

I’ll try that thanks

1 minute ago, ODD_BOX307 said:

I did make sure my drivers where updated but idk I wasn’t sure if I like maybe did set something up right or

First i'd check into other possibilities like game settings. And try and get 100% usage our something else like a benchmark, but...

Even with fresh and current drivers, i have had issues. Its not likely, but it is possible.

Here's an old thread where I ran into this issue and how i went about resolving it.

2 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

First i'd check into other possibilities like game settings. And try and get 100% usage our something else like a benchmark, but...

Even with fresh and current drivers, i have had issues. Its not likely, but it is possible.

Here's an old thread where I ran into this issue and how i went about resolving it.

Okay thanks

5 minutes ago, ODD_BOX307 said:

Okay thanks

You're welcome!

Could also be turbo or bios setting issue like Fasauceome suggested.

So many possible culprits for the same issue.