Wifey Photo Editing Build

Stefan15

Hello everyone,

Trying to surprise the wife with a new computer to edit her photos on. This will be my first build, so I thought I would get the input of everyone on the board.

Budget is about 1300 dollars

She will be using Lightroom CS and Photoshop mainly. Not much if any video editing.

Not a professional photog, just an weekender

She plays games like "Sims 4" and some stuff from the Microsoft game pass network

Will need Windows 10

Not bringing any parts over(she has an older laptop now)

In the future she might go to two monitors but for now, she is happy with one

Already have a mouse and keyboard and NAS storage for backup of photos etc

I am located in the US

I pretty much copied a Linus budget build for editing, just want to make sure she will be okay

Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tBmGx6

15 minutes ago, Stefan15 said:

Hello everyone,

Trying to surprise the wife with a new computer to edit her photos on. This will be my first build, so I thought I would get the input of everyone on the board.

Budget is about 1300 dollars

She will be using Lightroom CS and Photoshop mainly. Not much if any video editing.

Not a professional photog, just an weekender

She plays games like "Sims 4" and some stuff from the Microsoft game pass network

Will need Windows 10

Not bringing any parts over(she has an older laptop now)

In the future she might go to two monitors but for now, she is happy with one

Already have a mouse and keyboard and NAS storage for backup of photos etc

I am located in the US

I pretty much copied a Linus budget build for editing, just want to make sure she will be okay

Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tBmGx6

If you're just running photoshop, you don't need a graphics card at all.

Just now, Chen G said:

If you're just running photoshop, you don't need a graphics card at all.

He would also have to switch to a Ryzen APU (e.g. 3400G) if he drops the videocard, since the Ryzen 5 3600 does not have integrated graphics. Will probably take a hit when it comes to opening and resizing RAW files. 

3 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

He would also have to switch to a Ryzen APU (e.g. 3400G) if he drops the videocard, since the Ryzen 5 3600 does not have integrated graphics. Will probably take a hit when it comes to opening and resizing RAW files. 

GPU still makes almost no difference, I run these things on my MBP with integrated graphics, it's not any slower than my PC with 2080ti.

Adobe's ancient code just don't take advantage of modern stuff like multiple cores and GPU compute.

The only exception being AE, and they just brute-force it by running multiple instances of the render thread at the same time.

13 minutes ago, Chen G said:

GPU still makes almost no difference, I run these things on my MBP with integrated graphics, it's not any slower than my PC with 2080ti.

Adobe's ancient code just don't take advantage of modern stuff like multiple cores and GPU compute.

The only exception being AE, and they just brute-force it by running multiple instances of the render thread at the same time.

She also plays some games. If the budget allows, why not let her have a nice experience?