NEW AMD BUILD - UPGRADING FORM 6 YR OLD PC

alvez
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
1 minute ago, BobbyPdue said:

It's large enough to use in the next build.  There's no point in saving $10 - $20 on a power supply.  It's money well spent on a component that will last for a decade or more. 

550w is plenty to use in the next build. and the rm650 is not needed at all. 

also 10-20€ saved is money that can be spent elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

with a very nice cooler with a crazy discount

you will be suprised to find that that fairly close to its regular price. also its not that great. 

5 minutes ago, alvez said:

grab the cheapest kit. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€209.90 @ Globaldata) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€90.90 @ Globaldata) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€74.10 @ Globaldata) 
Storage: Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€79.99 @ Corsair) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€74.90 @ Globaldata) 
Total: €529.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-22 15:06 CET+0100

if you really have to get new CPU and mobo, get this. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

What if they want to upgrade to the top tier CPU and GPU in 3 - 4 years?  What if dual GPUs make a come back? What if components increase in power draw in the next 5 - 6 years?  There is no way to know how much power will be "good enough" in the future. Do whatever you want if you want to save a couple of Euro's go for it.  

I can get the same TX650M for 5€ more instead of TX550M which is fine I guess.

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there are differences, but you are better off saving the money and putting it towards a GPU of sorts if you need that. 

Ill see what weights more, since I wont get the new GPU right now. 

THANKS!

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

3 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

What if dual GPUs make a come back?

Um, yeah. Thats not happening within at least 4 years at the minimum. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

What if components increase in power draw in the next 5 - 6 years?

People do not make gtx 480 GPUs anymore. And the realistic maximum load is about 250w. With peaks of 300w. 

Combine that with the heat flux that coolers can extract from consumer sockets and you dont get something that exceed 550w total full load power consumption. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

What if they want to upgrade to the top tier CPU and GPU in 3 - 4 years? 

They would be perfectly fine unless ATX spec changes a lot, in which case the RM wouldnt do the job either afaik. 

6 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

There is no way to know how much power will be "good enough" in the future.

You can do pretty darn good guesses. 

7 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Do whatever you want if you want to save a couple of Euro's go for it.  

Why overspend on wattage or even higher end PSUs when you wont use what they offer?

Keep in mind the TXM is a pretty good PSU

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You can do pretty darn good guesses. 

If 550w isn't enough in 5 years it's another €70 - €80 wasted.  No one really knows what's going to happen in the future and it's such a small amount of money. No power supply should be run at 100% max rated power.  Most power supplies are not efficient above 90%.   There is no money wasted on a better PSU they don't need to be replaced that often. 

I just can't see the point in trying to save a few euro's on such an important component. If there was a component that could improve the performance or longevity of a computer for €20 I wouldn't hesitate. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

There is no money wasted on a better PSU they don't need to be replaced that often. 

On the load levels expected, you wouldnt replace either very often at all. 

performance or longevity of a computer for €20 I wouldn't hesitate. 

It really wouldnt improve the performance, nor increase longevity by stepping up to 100w more. 

I just can't see the point in trying to save a few euro's on such an important component

Here is the thing, he is spending the exact ammount he needs to. He doesnt need to spend extra providing he sgicks to consumer plattforms. 

7 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Most power supplies are not efficient above 90%.

They are actually fairly efficient. Keeping in mind they are rated to run at 100% power with no problems. 

9 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

If 550w isn't enough in 5 years it's another €70 - €80 wasted

Key word there is "if". And there is no indication that it will be neccesary. Keeping in mind we really havent even crossed 400w total combined load for a top end system today. 

11 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

it's such a small amount of money.

True, if you do want to have the bigger number om the PSU then thats fine. People do like to have more headroom than they need. 

Id suggest throwing those 5€ towards a GPU together with the money he can save on not buying way expencive ram. 

Regarding the Motherboard could you guys help and tell me if I will need to flash the bios newest update?

I have readed it somewhere for some motherboards.. And fairly I DONT understand nothing of it..(for RYZEN)

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

9 minutes ago, alvez said:

Regarding the Motherboard could you guys help and tell me if I will need to flash the bios newest update?

I have readed it somewhere for some motherboards.. And fairly I DONT understand nothing of it..(for RYZEN)

Mobos manufactured after the launch of Ryzen have the correct Bios to reqognise the new CPUs.

There are a few boards woth the guaranteed correct Bios. Like the B450 A-Pro Max. Or the others suggested in the build suggestions. 

40 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

If 550w isn't enough in 5 years it's another €70 - €80 wasted. 

After 5 years a new psu should be considered anyway. Not saying that €5 or what for the better psu should matter, though.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Mobos manufactured after the launch of Ryzen have the correct Bios to reqognise the new CPUs.

There are a few boards woth the guaranteed correct Bios. Like the B450 A-Pro Max. Or the others suggested in the build suggestions. 

Thank you!

Regarding the GPU, and assuming I ll get around 200€ to spend on a new one, what could you suggest?

THANKS!

2 minutes ago, alvez said:

Regarding the GPU, and assuming I ll get around 200€ to spend on a new one, what could you suggest?

no major upgrade around 200€. so for the time being id wait. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Alright then! 

THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:34 PM, GoldenLag said:

hey! Could you please give some advice on a good airflow case please?