First Build. Need help, $1000 AUD PC

Erival

I'd like to do gaming on this pc, $1000 for everything (no gpu) I think that an apu would be just fine and ill wait until the newer cards come up, though you can add a gpu if you feel it is necessary

Games i would like to play:

Rocket League

Minecraft

VrChat (Non VR)

I'd like to keep the case so i don't need to upgrade that later down the line, anything else is up for change, would appreciate any help... Thanks :) 

feel free to leave any suggestions and questions.

2 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

If you're interested in saving like AU$25 you can get the CX550 for AU$89.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

The CX550 and MWE550 Gold are in the same tier.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

the MWE550 is Full modular, while the cx550 isn't. i was thinking to go modular for cleanliness, and for $25 more, it doesnt make much of a difference. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep it in mind.

2 minutes ago, Erival said:

the MWE550 is Full modular, while the cx550 isn't. i was thinking to go modular for cleanliness, and for $25 more, it doesnt make much of a difference. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep it in mind.

I see. Personally I don't care much about "modularity". I just stuff all the cables somewhere not that visible and not care about it. The fact my case doesn't have a window helps.

Looks like you want to keep everything except the APU, not just the case.

Faster memory would be preferable, but sacrifices have to be made somewhere.PSU is sized for a mid tier GPU you don’t have.  This may be intentional.  Lacking any knowledge of how much GPU would be bought in the future,  I personally might go up to 600/650 just to make sure any GPU I got later would work, or down size and down market, and assume a PSU replacement would happen along with the GPU.  I’m personally not a gigantic fan of full modular unless resleeving of cables is going to happen.  The main power cable is ALWAYS used.  I’d rather go semi modular or even non modular, and put the money into internals quality or just not spend it.  It’s a value judgement though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

I see. Personally I don't care much about "modularity". I just stuff all the cables somewhere not that visible and not care about it. The fact my case doesn't have a window helps.

Yeah i guess so, in most cases it wouldn't make much of a difference.

go for a SATA SSD. You will get more storage for the same price. And there is no big difference between sata and NVME.

I'll atleast get something like this instead...

You can get a used rx580 from ebay/aliexpress with free international shipping for about $150 AUD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($108.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($110.00 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card  ($199.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($258.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Total: $1010.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-21 18:17 AEDT+1100

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Erival said:

Yeah i guess so, in most cases it wouldn't make much of a difference.

It depends to some degree on where you’ve got to put them and how much space is in the case.  It can be important for SFF builds.  You’ve got a PSU shroud though.  One kind of weird advantage of non modular is you can’t lose the cables because they’re attached.  Reviewers like modularity because they’re constantly building PCs and they are handier when building.  A user only builds once though.  I don’t worry about stuff like non sharp edges, or a lot of things reviewers prefer because they simplify building.  I just don’t build very often.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

It depends to some degree on where you’ve got to put them and how much space is in the case.  It can be important for SFF builds.  You’ve got a PSU shroud though.  One kind of weird advantage of non modular is you can’t lose the cables because they’re attached.  Reviewers like modularity because they’re constantly building PCs and they are handier when building.  A user only builds once though.  I don’t worry about stuff like non sharp edges, or a lot of things reviewers prefer because they simplify building.  I just don’t build very often.

alright, cool, i'll change things up a bit

For the APU you don't need a MAX mainboard, and you'll be able to update the bios anyway before getting any 3rd gen Ryzen. But, I'm still uncomfortable with the apu here, even if it's supposed to just run the system now and getting replaced asap.

1 minute ago, Erival said:

alright, cool, i'll change things up a bit

5 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

You can get a used rx580 from ebay/aliexpress with free international shipping for about $150 AUD.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($110.00 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Austin Computers) 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

2 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

PCPartPicker Part List

So a More balanced system.  What is effectively a 3200g with much better video and faster memory for an extra Hundred which is found again with a case downgrade and some other tweaks. I approve of the case choice personally.  I don’t get why people spend so much on cases.

Ryzen 5 2600 on was sub AU$200 afaik.

You're sure to spend AU$200 for rx580 4gb?!

Prices in down-under are really weird.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So a More balanced system.  What is effectively a 3200g with much better video and faster memory for an extra Hundred which is found again with a case downgrade and some other tweaks. I approve of the case choice personally.  I don’t get why people spend so much on cases.

i chose the p400a for the sole purpose of airflow, being the best airflow case of 2019, as well as not having to get a new case further down the line.

5 minutes ago, Erival said:

i chose the p400a for the sole purpose of airflow, being the best airflow case of 2019, as well as not having to get a new case further down the line.

The thing is, when you have a strict budget, then you have to allocate a set amount of budget for each component. Overspending on a single component will make your build worse.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

3 minutes ago, Erival said:

Better airflow means fewer fans.  I’m kind of a contrarian about max airflow.  That whole thing came about because of the switch from 120mm to 140mm fans.  140mm fans have more cfm per unit of noise, but less static pressure.  So case manufacturers took a bunch of cases that worked fine with 120mm fans, stuck 140mms in them because they were hip, and screwed up their cases.  As a result there are a lot of cheap cheap cases that work great as long as you put the fans in them that they were supposed to have in the first place.  Case fans are cheap. A decent 120mm case fan (as long as it’s vertical) is $10

1 minute ago, VEXICUS said:

The thing is, when you have a strict budget, then you have to allocate a set amount of budget for each component. Overspending on a single component will make your build worse.

Yeah, i guess, but i'm planning on upgrading not too long after i buy the initial pc, i just need a base pc for school work atm and light games, i will definitely upgrade a few months down the line.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Better airflow means fewer fans.  I’m kind of a contrarian about max airflow.  That whole thing came about because of the switch from 120mm to 140mm fans.  140mm fans have more cfm per unit of noise, but less static pressure.  So case manufacturers took a bunch of cases that worked fine with 120mm fans, stuck 140mms in them because they were hip, and screwed up their cases.  As a result there are a lot of cheap cheap cases that work great as long as you put the fans in them that they were supposed to have in the first place.  Case fans are cheap. A decent 120mm case fan (as long as it’s vertical) is $10

i dont want to bother you, but if you could, please put it in a pc part so i could have a better perspective of it.

7 minutes ago, Erival said:

Yeah, i guess, but i'm planning on upgrading not too long after i buy the initial pc, i just need a base pc for school work atm and light games, i will definitely upgrade a few months down the line.

I’m kinda liking your build then.  I’m tempted to downgrade the case, even just to a meshify c which has almost the same airflow but is 2/3rd the price, (it could go down to half the price of or less if it was needed) and maybe go with a slightly larger semi or non modular PSU at the same tier level just to give you wiggle room on a GPU purchase.  The whole apu will need to go eventually most likely though.  That thing has about the same cpu power as the 4770k I bought many years ago.  

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m kinda liking your build then.  I’m tempted to downgrade the case, even just to a meshify c which has almost the same airflow but is 2/3rd the price, (it could go down to half the price of or less if it was needed) and maybe go with a slightly larger semi or non modular PSU at the same tier level just to give you wiggle room on a GPU purchase.  The whole apu will need to go eventually most likely though.  That thing has about the same cpu power as the 4770k I bought many years ago.  

Yeah, i think i'd eventually upgrade to a r5 3600 - r7 3700x, as for the gpu i would probably get a 2070 super, or wait for the new AMD/Nvidia gpus to be released

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then why are you purchasing the 3200g in the first case. Just get a good case, something like a meshify c, Use your old 4770k, Its probably slightly better than r3 3200g when paired with some decent gpu. Upgrade your core platform later on. Ryzen 4xxx may launch soon, wait for that, for now just get something like a 5700xt. 5700xt will pair well with a 4770k.

IGNORE THIS

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

2 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Then why are you purchasing the 3200g in the first case. Just get a good case, something like a meshify c, Use your old 4770k, Its probably slightly better than r3 3200g when paired with some decent gpu. Upgrade your core platform later on. Ryzen 4xxx may launch soon, wait for that, for now just get something like a 5700xt. 5700xt will pair well with a 4770k.

Was that meant to be a joke or a common misunderstanding. He was talking about how his i5, which he bought years ago, in comparison to the 3200g. He isn't the creator of this thread, i am, he was just being relatable and voicing his own experience. I'm not trying to be a 12 year old trying to get in an arguement, i was just trying to help you understand, sorry if it may come off that way. :)  as for your suggestion though, it may be worth waiting for the ryzen 4000 series, but it may still be a year or two away.