Which Raid would you choose and why?

I'm building a NAS and, I'd like to know, which raid I should use. I would like to be able to store at least 40 TB, with the rest being left as backup. (80 TB NAS). I'm probably using UNRAID, so, send help, plz?

2 minutes ago, hameedabdul1 said:

I'm probably using UNRAID, so, send help, plz?

If you're using Unraid, then you're using Unraid. It doesn't have any levels, like e.g. Unraid1 or Unraid5, just the one and only.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

What type of things are you storing?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

UnRAID does not use traditional RAID it uses it's own implementation where the data does not get striped across the drives. If you want opinions on different RAID levels you'll need to pick a different OS.

You can use ZFS on UnRAID, but it means you cannot use the UI for doing your Array & SMB management. In which case i'd create a raidz or raidz-2 depending on the redundancy you need. If you're using the UI functionality of UnRAID for the array, then as the others have stated you have no choice but to use their system which has contiguous files on single drives.

Perhaps consider Debian/Ubuntu + Webmin/Cockpit, and do a ZFS or traditional MD raid, that will give you flexibility on how you can configure it. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

If you're using Unraid, then you're using Unraid. It doesn't have any levels, like e.g. Unraid1 or Unraid5, just the one and only.

I see. Well, people have confused me very much. Thanks!

How many drives?

If you have 8x10TB, Unraid with 2 parity drives gives you 60TB usable, but the speed of a single drive.

If you need speed, RAID10 would give you 40TB usable with 8x read and 4x write speeds compared to a single drive.