Ethernet - "Unidentified network - No Internet" Ideas?

Troup
Go to solution Solved by jjbeebe,

You would need to check these settings for your ethernet connection, not wifi. if you are connected via ethernet and wifi you need to check the setting for that ethernet connection only using those steps, disconnect from you wifi connection to make this easy while you troubleshoot. you may need to try a network reset. Type it in the search bar and it will show up.

image.png.646a47adf31afa0c4a4181e9eda2e4bd.png

I've been troubleshooting this on my own, and reconfiguring/resetting IP doesn't seem to work (troubleshooting tells me "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP Configuration"). Have gone about updating adapters as well. 

I am thinking I need to update the LAN driver for my motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X570-F - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tf9Cwh), but trying to run the setup for that just does not prompt. When trying to get into BIOS (configure settings from there), I get a black screen before it will load. Running on Windows 10 64 bit. 

As it feels I've hit a block... Are there any ideas on how to go about resolving this? 

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks. 

image.thumb.png.9d04a25a99697ab4c05885f8e0d3639f.png

image.png.3053918ccc1f0e80552158aaf5947ce0.png

Could be because of faulty cable, try plugging the cable into a different device and see if it works or not

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

On 1/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, Srijan Verma said:

Could be because of faulty cable, try plugging the cable into a different device and see if it works or not

Pardon my delay - did give that a try and the cable seems to be fine. I'll just have to fiddle more with settings.. 

check your ip configurations, if you show 169.254.0.0/16 make sure you have something providing DHCP services in your network. check your ip address with ipconfig command in terminal. You can also manually set you ip address to be within your network if need be or if one is manually set change everything to this

image.thumb.png.65c97ccc74454c2a87c3c7503b81f520.png

You ip address should look like something like this  in the command prompt, typically 192.168.x.x.

image.png.872baef2af4b56cfed0161d37fdfda43.png

17 hours ago, jjbeebe said:

check your ip configurations, if you show 169.254.0.0/16 make sure you have something providing DHCP services in your network. check your ip address with ipconfig command in terminal. You can also manually set you ip address to be within your network if need be or if one is manually set change everything to this

image.thumb.png.65c97ccc74454c2a87c3c7503b81f520.png

You ip address should look like something like this  in the command prompt, typically 192.168.x.x.

image.png.872baef2af4b56cfed0161d37fdfda43.png

Thanks - though reconfiguring (automatically or manually) doesn't seem to do it. My wifi card is working, however. Just not the ethernet. 

image.png.5117c50117a1fb202031e8ea32da4698.png

You would need to check these settings for your ethernet connection, not wifi. if you are connected via ethernet and wifi you need to check the setting for that ethernet connection only using those steps, disconnect from you wifi connection to make this easy while you troubleshoot. you may need to try a network reset. Type it in the search bar and it will show up.

15 minutes ago, jjbeebe said:

Got it - thank you. I did give that a try, and a network rest. Must be something I am overlooking. 

check physical connection all the way to the router/modem, good luck. best i could do with limited info.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:51 PM, jjbeebe said:

check physical connection all the way to the router/modem, good luck. best i could do with limited info.

It is truly appreciated! I went through all the steps again- IP configuration, network reset, and confirmed all physical connections. Somehow, it's fixed. Thanks, again.