Programming Careers?

NiftyMist

Hey LTT Forums!

I'm 21 years old, and I'm finally done with all my core or gen ed course work and am now working on my main course work which is Networking and Cyber-security.  As a part of the degree path at my University, I'm required to take java programming.  And I have really begun to like it.  It's only the intro course, but I'm having a blast with it.  I really like the problem solving aspect of it, and I think I'm learning pretty fast.  So my question is:  is it worth me possibly pursing a career/degree with programming or should I stick with Networking and Cyber-security?  Career wise, which is going to be more stable for the next 30ish years?

Its worth it if you love doing it, if you are wanting to have a better paying career then stick with networking as there is more money in it then programing now a days.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Hey LTT Forums!

I'm 21 years old, and I'm finally done with all my core or gen ed course work and am now working on my main course work which is Networking and Cyber-security.  As a part of the degree path at my University, I'm required to take java programming.  And I have really begun to like it.  It's only the intro course, but I'm having a blast with it.  I really like the problem solving aspect of it, and I think I'm learning pretty fast.  So my question is:  is it worth me possibly pursing a career/degree with programming or should I stick with Networking and Cyber-security?  Career wise, which is going to be more stable for the next 30ish years?

Cyber-security will get harder as technology gets more advanced. Going into programming could let you program anything from a video game to say a educational program for children. With programming, you'll be more likely to get money as the world transfers into the tech-era, while Cyber-security will only get harder with advances in technology and other ways to get around cyber security. 

My n00Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NameOfNoInterest/saved/ 

Do you really expect me to know things? 

$25.67/$~2500 (Price changes hourly..) I'm 1/100th of the way there!

I would say that it's mostly down to where you work. I agree with @ericlee30 that on average, there's probably more money to be made in netwroking than programming. However, that doesn't mean you can't get a programming job that will pay more than a networking job. But they are both good careers paths IMO, there's a lot of work in these domains and it's not going to slow down.

As long as you like what you're doing, that's what matters. There's no point in doing networking over programming for the money only, if you enjoy programming more and would rather spend your life, or part of it, doing that. It's so vast, you can work in dozens of domains, software developping, consulting, game developpment, web, etc etc.

I really don't see how "Networking and Cyber-security" could be accomplished without knowing how to program.

Maybe consider a double major since there would probably be a ton of overlap in the courses anyway?

Get a cover job for around a year or so and then in the mean time teach yourself how to program. Start with java if you think that it won't be a problem and then move onto something like c# and any sort of server side language such as python or php. Consider teaching yourself some more advanced networking aswel. Look into injection and reflection, this is really important if you want to find ways around things since these are the main methods used. I won't get into to much detail because once you're experienced enough then you should be able to find out what it is.

Programming/R&D/Development will always lead to layoffs if you are at publicly owned companies. Just the nature of the beast; If you can get above the project manager level you should be pretty immune to those layoffs though.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

I personally like the idea of a career based off programming because of the vast options, the diversity of it and the work place.

Although you can get a networking job in pretty much any industry, you'll probably be a part of a very small (if any) tech-related work station within a (usually) non-tech business where there's a lot of repetition, at least to my knowledge of it.

In programming, you could end up in a software developing company making any kind of programs with other programmers. It's also easier to do free lancing work with globally.

However, I never got to fully love networks myself, it was always hard for me and programming came naturally so maybe I'm just looking at the good side of my own limitations :P

Doesn't hurt to know both obviously.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |