Just switched from a Vega56 to a RTX2070 Super, getting regular stutters

shadowrckts

(copying from my cry for help on reddit)

Computer Type: Desktop (custom, from Xotic PC giveaway)

GPU: EVGA Black Edition RTX 2070 Super, 8GB Vram, no OC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x 8-core 3.7GHz, no OC

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming Wifi

Bios version/Date: American Megatrends Inc, F31 5/6/2019

SMBIOS Version: 3.2

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB (16GB) 3400 MHz

PSU: Dual PSU - CPU/System Enhance electronics Co 600W (came with PC). GPU PSU: Corsair SF600

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Home Build 18362 10.0.18362 (clean) 64bit

GPU Drivers: Clean install GeForce Game Ready Driver 441.87

Description of Problem: I just switched from a Vega56 to an RTX2070 Super and it seems like I'm getting a noticeable (and pretty regular) stutter in framerate (maybe once or twice per second). In rocket league it's showing as a drop every other reading by about 4 fps@150fps, moving or not. It doesn't seem to matter which screen I'm operating on (4 connected, 2 disconnected through windows)

Troubleshooting: I've run DDU 3 times now (safe mode and not, twice removing AMD, once removing NVIDIA), CCleaner once, reinstalled drivers downloaded previously. Neither the CPU nor GPU seem to be going over 50C and the usage is relatively low for each (~14%).

sorry for any inconvenience, my next step is going to be checking for BIOS updates.

Edit: Updated bios to 50a, still occur on Minecraft Bedrock and Rocket League

EditEdit: I've tried Freesync on the monitor on/off and G-Sync on/off, turned the GPU power mode to performance in the control panel, set the GPU to the PhysX processor, still no dice

Someone had requested thermal/usage graphs on reddit so I'll post the imgur link here: https://imgur.com/BYQ85Y6

Final edit: hooked everything back up to the original power supply (now a single supply system) and it worked just fine, no stutters

The 2nd supply still powers extra fans and hard drives (couple of ssds couple hdds) couldn't get the original supply to turn on the monitor when the Corsair powered everything else so I've dedicated a fan to the old supply and gotta live with it I suppose. Did some research on the Enhance supply and apparently it's platinum rated (though it's fan is super super tiny) so I guess I'll live with the system for now :) thanks for the assistance everyone!

All windows updates installed?

You cound try a clean install.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Disable Game Bar and XBOX DVR in W10. 

Also disable Fast Startup in W10 and restart PC otherwise it won't take effect (won't affect your boot times). 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Game bar and XBOX DVR were already off, but i did turn off Fast Startup and am restarting now. I'm definitely keeping a fresh install in my back pocket as a last ditch effort though (but would like to try other things first if possible!)

Edit: After restart the problem continues :( Will check my CPU cores as suggested by sorenson below!

Edited by shadowrckts
Restarted

When I can't figure something like this out I'll reinstall windows through "reset windows". I would first try limiting the frame rate in the games. Your GPU may be overwhelming your CPU with frames. Have you checked to make sure that one of your CPU cores isn't pegged to 100% while playing games?

22 minutes ago, shadowrckts said:

Description of Problem: I just switched from a Vega56 to an RTX2070 Super and it seems like I'm getting a noticeable (and pretty regular) stutter in framerate (maybe once or twice per second). In rocket league it's showing as a drop every other reading by about 4 fps@150fps, moving or not. It doesn't seem to matter which screen I'm operating on (4 connected, 2 disconnected through windows)

Do you get audio stuttering playing Youtube videos or music?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

20 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

When I can't figure something like this out I'll reinstall windows through "reset windows". I would first try limiting the frame rate in the games. Your GPU may be overwhelming your CPU with frames. Have you checked to make sure that one of your CPU cores isn't pegged to 100% while playing games?

Will check all CPU cores (and limit with rivatuner and will report back!)

Edit: It looks like one of the CPU threads is being used heavily but not high usage on any of the other cores, could this be it?

EditEdit (sorry for spam): limiting the frames with rivatuner does seem to help, though I'm a bit concerned at not being able to push 144fps on this after being able to on the Vega56 :(

CPU_Usage.PNG

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

Do you get audio stuttering playing Youtube videos or music?

Hello!

Does not seem to be getting audio stuttering, only visual (tested on a constant note video)

41 minutes ago, shadowrckts said:

PSU: Dual PSU - CPU/System Enhance electronics Co 600W (came with PC). GPU PSU: Corsair SF600

Wait a minute why are you using 2 PSU's? the Corsair PSU is plenty to handle the whole system, could be related to the issue? and also have you tried setting your RAM to default XMP profiles? 3400Mhz is a bit on the edge for 2nd Gen Ryzen and would be unstable for most 2nd Gen systems.

10 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Hmm this is a bit strange.. try using LatencyMon anyway and report back the results.

https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe

image.thumb.png.b7e233373e47a43e349adf4267143d3b.png

Spoiler

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:02:11  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-NUKVGRD
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362 (x64)
Hardware:                                             AB350N-Gaming WIFI, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Logical processors:                                   16
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16333 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3693 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   488.0
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4.970205

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       482.60
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.020415

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              107.363119
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.055272
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.057425

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   75916
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              425.97590
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.030340
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.092266

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   354663
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       310
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          283
Number of processes hit:                              7

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.195116
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                107.363119
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   1.195332
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      65070
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                425.97590
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   1.762091
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      326541
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.018304
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.672624
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000848
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      782
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                110.709450
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.020865
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      872
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.027566
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3.236122
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000080
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      72
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                59.031682
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.003526
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      773
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.037625
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                7.363932
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000181
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      109
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.987532
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                29.235310
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000792
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      314
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.900713
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                11.992689
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000327
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      170
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.930873
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                31.659897
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000626
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      286
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.856828
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                34.845925
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000396
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      186
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.942970
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                33.834010
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.002153
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      879
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.821738
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                62.788790
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.003102
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      1696
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.993243
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                53.922015
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.009421
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      3319
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.875185
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                45.395884
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001191
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      403
CPU 12 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.960364
CPU 12 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.652586
CPU 12 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.006129
CPU 12 ISR count:                                      8643
CPU 12 DPC highest execution time (µs):                115.217980
CPU 12 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.091411
CPU 12 DPC count:                                      13633
CPU 13 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.878133
CPU 13 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.993230
CPU 13 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000125
CPU 13 ISR count:                                      141
CPU 13 DPC highest execution time (µs):                49.403466
CPU 13 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001809
CPU 13 DPC count:                                      335
CPU 14 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.223589
CPU 14 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.822908
CPU 14 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000603
CPU 14 ISR count:                                      642
CPU 14 DPC highest execution time (µs):                55.895749
CPU 14 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.029756
CPU 14 DPC count:                                      4565
CPU 15 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.919661
CPU 15 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4.819117
CPU 15 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000514
CPU 15 ISR count:                                      566
CPU 15 DPC highest execution time (µs):                52.288925
CPU 15 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.006258
CPU 15 DPC count:                                      584

Never used latencymon before, but it seems to be ok I think?

Wait a minute why are you using 2 PSU's? the Corsair PSU is plenty to handle the whole system, could be related to the issue? and also have you tried setting your RAM to default XMP profiles? 3400Mhz is a bit on the edge for 2nd Gen Ryzen and would be unstable for most 2nd Gen systems.

I won the PC and the PSU it came with is a super weird form factor (the PC is custom but built into the back of a 32" Samsung monitor). I bought the Corsair to power the GPU (at the time a vega56) because the other PSU was overheating and a scary offbrand. Unfortunately the PSU it came with powers the CPU and the display itself through some convoluted cable routing behind some aluminum I can't get to. I did try powering the MoBo/CPU and GPU with my Corsair PSU but the PC wouldn't turn on (even shorting the other PSU with one of those 24 pin attachments).

Edit: Haven't tried adjusting the RAM speeds yet, but can do that next if you want.

Edited by shadowrckts
forgot about the ram speeds

35 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

RAM is set to 2667 and problem persists :( looks like I'm headed towards a refresh.

4 hours ago, shadowrckts said:

I won the PC and the PSU it came with is a super weird form factor (the PC is custom but built into the back of a 32" Samsung monitor). I bought the Corsair to power the GPU (at the time a vega56) because the other PSU was overheating and a scary offbrand. Unfortunately the PSU it came with powers the CPU and the display itself through some convoluted cable routing behind some aluminum I can't get to. I did try powering the MoBo/CPU and GPU with my Corsair PSU but the PC wouldn't turn on (even shorting the other PSU with one of those 24 pin attachments).

Hmm I'm not familiar with the form factor of the PSU that is included in that PC, your best bet could be to take all of that hardware off the monitor and insert it in a new standard case, your issue is a bit bizarre, it's unheard of for me to have stuttering every second without affecting the audio.

What kind of stuttering do you get? is it possible to show a video of it happening? preferably with game audio

4 hours ago, shadowrckts said:

the other PSU was overheating and a scary offbrand.

That's not a good sign and shitty PSU's can cause a lot of problems, I wouldn't recommend you continue using it even if your PC is working perfectly, they can be destructive when they become faulty, which might have already happened.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rnGxFT/cooler-master-masterbox-q300l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00

This is a good cheap case that you can buy, but you might also need an adapter from SFX to ATX to fit the PSU in that case, I'm unsure if it would fit out of the box, or you can get a smaller case that clearly supports the SFX PSU Form Factor.

Adapter:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/SF-Series™-SFX-to-ATX-Adapter-Bracket-2-0/p/CP-8920204

10 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

Hmm I'm not familiar with the form factor of the PSU that is included in that PC, your best bet could be to take all of that hardware off the monitor and insert it in a new standard case, your issue is a bit bizarre, it's unheard of for me to have stuttering every second without affecting the audio.

What kind of stuttering do you get? is it possible to show a video of it happening? preferably with game audio

I'll take a video of my screen and will try to have the sound playing, no luck after the reset of windows.

That's not a good sign and shitty PSU's can cause a lot of problems, I wouldn't recommend you continue using it even if your PC is working perfectly, they can be destructive when they become faulty, which might have already happened.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rnGxFT/cooler-master-masterbox-q300l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00

This is a good cheap case that you can buy, but you might also need an adapter from SFX to ATX to fit the PSU in that case, I'm unsure if it would fit out of the box, or you can get a smaller case that clearly supports the SFX PSU Form Factor.

Adapter:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/SF-Series™-SFX-to-ATX-Adapter-Bracket-2-0/p/CP-8920204

While I completely agree it's a risk having said PSU in my system, this problem does not occur on the Vega56 GPU, strictly the 2070Super. After I take the video I plan to re-seat the card today, will get back on here after work with any updates (and the video).

Edit: Re-seated GPU, no luck. I'll yank everything out I can tonight (some things are literally riveted in) and try to run the whole PC (minus the monitor) on the Corsair, unless there are other suggestions before I get to that :)

Edited by shadowrckts
Re-seated GPU

Sending from my phone, I think I could see it on my media app so fingers crossed it shows on here! One visible one happens when I get closer to the tree, it happens very regularly every second or so but that's when it's more visible on the recording.