Building a new PC! Should I wait for new hardware to come out or build now?

EmmaNova

Hi!  
So, I'm planning to build a desktop to replace my aging gaming laptop.  Should I wait it out and use my laptop, or is there no reason to wait?  I plan to use whatever the newest CPU is, and either a 10, 16, or 20 series NVIDIA gpu, but im open to any offerings AMD may have.

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, EmmaNova said:

Hi!  
So, I'm planning to build a desktop to replace my aging gaming laptop.  Should I wait it out and use my laptop, or is there no reason to wait?  I plan to use whatever the newest CPU is, and either a 10, 16, or 20 series NVIDIA gpu, but im open to any offerings AMD may have.

Thanks for the help!

Buy it when u need it. Tech will never stop.

Well ryzen 4 is about to launch and rtx 3000gpus just around the corner. If you can I would definitely wait to see what those will bring. And what they'll bring for sure is a big big discount on the "older" hardware 

Waiting is a fools game IMO, there's always something better coming "SoonTM".

What's the use case?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, NoGanksEric said:

Well ryzen 4 is about to launch and rtx 3000gpus just around the corner. If you can I would definitely wait to see what those will bring. And what they'll bring for sure is a big big discount on the "older" hardware 

July is my estimate for zen 3 and that’s some time away,

plus then your gonna say intel new chips are around the corner,

and also once navi 23 comes nvidia chips are gonna be around the corner.

dont wait. Just buy when you *need* it.

Personally I'd wait. Intel 10th gen CPUs, Nvidia RTX 3000 series and AMD Ryzen are all set to launch this year, sooner than later.

But if you have the available budget, get whatever you want right now and upgrade at the end of the year. A Ryzen 7 3900x, i7 9700K or RTX 2080 (especially ti) will still get you a good chunk of cash when you end up selling them.

Long story short, it comes down to your level of patience.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

I joined here because I was worried about what would be needed to beat the upcoming consoles, which I thought were coming sooner than they apparently are.  Console bearing CPUs are out now.  Finding out what it’s going to take GPU wise is harder.  If I was in a position where I couldn’t play games, building a CPU/motherboard/memory combo is doable now.  The question is whether to spend like mad on a very high end GPU that can beat the consoles or just buy something cheap, be cpu bottlenecked, and expect to have to throw the thing away next year.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Completely depends on how eager you are to upgrade. I would personally wait until nvidia releases their next gpu line up because the gpu space has a fairly long lifecycle compared to other components and to buy one at the end of its life cycle for full price is just sad. I mean they usually only come out with new generations of gpus like once every 2 years. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Completely depends on how eager you are to upgrade. I would personally wait until nvidia releases their next gpu line up because the gpu space has a fairly long lifecycle compared to other components and to buy one at the end of its life cycle for full price is just sad. I mean they usually only come out with new generations of gpus like once every 2 years. 

My most recent experience with this is the opposite.  My current sustem has its fourth (third?) GPU put into it recently.  To be fair I was expecting the CPU to not outlast the first GPU. i7k CPUs appears to have been something of an anomaly.  I really liked it though.  I’m kinda hoping it will happen twice.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

My most recent experience with this is the opposite.  My current sustem has its fourth (third?) GPU put into it recently.  To be fair I was expecting the CPU to not outlast the first GPU. i7k CPUs appears to have been something of an anomaly.  I really liked it though.  I’m kinda hoping it will happen twice.

Maybe I was a bit unclear with my wording. I meant update cycle as in how often do companies release a new generation of said product. 

21 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

July is my estimate for zen 3 and that’s some time away,

plus then your gonna say intel new chips are around the corner,

and also once navi 23 comes nvidia chips are gonna be around the corner.

dont wait. Just buy when you *need* it.

Well Intels new chips will basically be refreshed refreshed refreshed refreshed of an older generation haha 

But well I'd still make the argument for rtx 3000 even if it's just for a discount on a 2000 card 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Maybe I was a bit unclear with my wording. I meant update cycle as in how often do companies release a new generation of said product. 

Secretly.  They like to tease stuff too.  There was reason to believe that Microsoft could have released its new Xbox in January.  Instead they released a name and a few photos.  They named the release date as “Holliday 2020” which could mean anything but probably means Christmas.  Unless they don’t.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Cpus usually once a year and gpus every 2 years. But there are small launched inbetween and amd gpus don't really have a cycle at all tbh haha

3rd gen Ryzen is a really good value, you really can't go wrong with a 3600 and it's not like next gen is going to bring anything game changing to the table any time soon. $185-200 for 6c/12t at the current performance level isn't going to change much more than a decent sale price, we're not going to see 8c/16t running at the same level of performance per thread at $200-250 and we're not going to see 20% increases in performance. Intel's current offerings are terrible and not worthwhile at all unless you're going for the 9900k.

The graphics cards however aren't as appealing with everything since 2015/the crypto boom pretty much just being higher priced cards with relative levels of performance. The super series and RX 5700's are decently attractive along with the 1660 Ti but everything else is sort of meh. The next generations sound really appealing and if you're not needing high end performance for a high refresh 1440p or 4k gaming setup I'd probably buy mid range now and save for a high end card down the road.

PSU's are kind of a mess right now thanks to tariffs, you're going to end up spending around $80-100 for something decent.

Ram is cheap, cases are alright but everyone skimps on the fans unless you're in the $150 price range. Windows keys are available on ebay for less than $5. SSD's were on a massive slide in pricing but now they're going back up, 1TB NVMe drives are still a great value if you shop around, look for sales or go for a bang for your buck drive like the Sabrent/Inland Premium/XPG SX8200 instead of paying twice as much for a Samsung to get the same performance.

Overall it's a great time to build a new computer, a bad time to buy a power supply and a very unattractive time to buy a new gpu if you already have anything on the high end.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Secretly.  They like to tease stuff too.  There was reason to believe that Microsoft could have released its new Xbox in January.  Instead they released a name and a few photos.  They named the release date as “Holliday 2020” which could mean anything but probably means Christmas.  Unless they don’t.

Holiday 2020 means it will release before Christmas because they want all the parents to buy their kids the console for their Christmas present. 

1 hour ago, EmmaNova said:

Hi!  

Thanks for the help!

Only wait if you are at the very tail end of the hardware life cycle. There is no point paying for something at full price when a better product is just going to launch a couple months latter at the same price. If you are a gamer then your priority should be the GPU. Of cores the CPU is important too but not as much as the GPU. Basically what I'm saying is that if a GPU launch is around the corner then it makes sense to wait, but tech never stops moving so don't wait for that gpu to only then wait for the new shiny cpu or your just going to waste your time waiting.