My pc is literally freezing for 2-5 seconds!

Daniel D.

Hey, 2 years ago I bought a pc and a year after I upgraded everything except the 2 hard drives.The old one was lagging and this one too.Is there something wrong with the hard drives?I preinstalled windows several times.I thought it was because of the graphics card, but I changed it, and it's still lagging on almost every game and program. Almost every minute for 2-5 secs. It takes at least 5 minutes for the pc to start up. Should I buy an ssd for this lagging/freezing to stop?

PC SPECS:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K

GPU: Gigabyte R9 290

RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3000MHz Team T-Force Delta

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 700W

Just now, Daniel D. said:

Hey, 2 years ago I bought a pc and a year after I upgraded everything except the 2 hard drives.The old one was lagging and this one too.Is there something wrong with the hard drives?I preinstalled windows several times.I thought it was because of the graphics card, but I changed it, and it's still lagging on almost every game and program. Almost every minute for 2-5 secs. It takes at least 5 minutes for the pc to start up. Should I buy an ssd for this lagging/freezing to stop?

PC SPECS:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K

GPU: Gigabyte R9 290

RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3000MHz Team T-Force Delta

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 700W

From my past experiences , I think its your HDD

Yeah, SSD would help tons.

Also a clean install of windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

From my past experiences , I think its your HDD

One of them Is at least 2 years old 300 GB(where windows is intalled).The other one is 1TB from my old laptop and it's even older.

4 minutes ago, Daniel D. said:

One of them Is at least 2 years old 300 GB(where windows is intalled).The other one is 1TB from my old laptop and it's even older.

To confirm this, You can open "Task Manager" and if the HDD usage is always 100% when freezes occur.

Then its your HDD causing freezes.

18 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Does it happen when you remove either one of your mouse or keyboard? 

What do you mean?In game or what?

2 minutes ago, Daniel D. said:

What do you mean?In game or what?

In whatever you are getting the freeze. I assume you are talking about actual freeze for few seconds and not some kind of system slow down. Plug out the mouse, Type for a minute. Then plug out the keyboard, move the cursor for a minute and see if it still freezes.

If you're talking about just overall slow down, its most likely the HDD like you and the other user suggested. HDD's bog down the system anyway, limits all the rest of your parts. I don't even have any HDD in my system with 1,5tb of space.

15 minutes ago, lafrente said:

In whatever you are getting the freeze. I assume you are talking about actual freeze for few seconds and not some kind of system slow down. Plug out the mouse, Type for a minute. Then plug out the keyboard, move the cursor for a minute and see if it still freezes.

If you're talking about just overall slow down, its most likely the HDD like you and the other user suggested. HDD's bog down the system anyway, limits all the rest of your parts. I don't even have any HDD in my system with 1,5tb of space.

It's still lagging even without the peripherals.I mean in games. When I'm using it for something else it's still very slow and programs crash sometimes.It's just very slow when I open or close programs or games.Also there is something called ''Antimalware Service Executable'' in the task manager that is always using the hdd and some other random processes that are using it...

As what you refer as a problem falls in vast amount of troubleshooting (Software, Hardware)...it is obvious...that you need a fresh install on windows....Backup things you need docs and photos and proceed. Remember that the more space that you use in disks the more slower they will be.

It may be antivirus, it may be virus, it may be windows misconfigration of page file, it may be other bloatware on the right clock side in the taskbar, it may be faulty disk to some degree, it may be ....you reached the limits of the disks speeds and many more. So

1st Try using one of the disk and preferrably the bigger disk in your machine.

2nd Try formatting windows then.

3rd If you can, try using a live cd with linux distribution just to see the times when you use the disks.

Not very fast solutions but...in such cases and dealing with a user that is not so good in technical parts of the pc that is the only things you can try.

@Daniel D. I think that's windows defender's background process. What you should do is get a sata SSD or nvme. Even small one. Keep the OS, drivers, chrome etc in SSD and move the movies, games to HDD. The whole system will feel like a rocketship compared to bogged down HDD's and you'll probably get rid of that freezing. Unless it's a hardware issue.

4 minutes ago, lafrente said:

@Daniel D. I think that's windows defender's background process. What you should do is get a sata SSD or nvme. Even small one. Keep the OS, drivers, chrome etc in SSD and move the movies, games to HDD. The whole system will feel like a rocketship compared to bogged down HDD's and you'll probably get rid of that freezing. Unless it's a hardware issue.

I'm planning to get the adata sx8200 nvme one because I have 2 slots on my mobo!

16 minutes ago, ckinfos said:

As what you refer as a problem falls in vast amount of troubleshooting (Software, Hardware)...it is obvious...that you need a fresh install on windows....Backup things you need docs and photos and proceed. Remember that the more space that you use in disks the more slower they will be.

It may be antivirus, it may be virus, it may be windows misconfigration of page file, it may be other bloatware on the right clock side in the taskbar, it may be faulty disk to some degree, it may be ....you reached the limits of the disks speeds and many more. So

1st Try using one of the disk and preferrably the bigger disk in your machine.

2nd Try formatting windows then.

3rd If you can, try using a live cd with linux distribution just to see the times when you use the disks.

Not very fast solutions but...in such cases and dealing with a user that is not so good in technical parts of the pc that is the only things you can try.

Thanks, but I feel like it's gonna be easier just to buy an ssd.