Seagate Barracuda Or W.d. Caviar Black?

COCOBYTES

Which is more reliable and give more performance?

(sorry I'm a tech noob)

I'd go with Western Digital also. The only problem I have with it is the noise, aside from that it's a great drive.

The Caviar Black is faster but also much more noisy, make a choice :D Reliability on both drives are excellent AFAIK, using a Barracuda myself for silence and lower pricing

The WD Blacks are easily the better of the two; they're faster, can take a heavier use, and have a killer warranty of 5 years and WD will even send the replacement drive before you send yours. But yes, as most people are saying, they're indeed louder but that's the trade-off you make for getting a better performing drive.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

If your case has HDD vibration damping system, and the case is in steal, you won't hear your W.D Black.

I have a super quiet computer (you don't know if it's on or off by sound). I can't hear my 1TB W.D Black. But if it's outside my case, yup I can hear it.

Then agin, my HDD was purchased befor the flooding event, so I don't know if the newer revision they cut things and now they are louder.\

A part of the noise reduction is also, that my W.D Black goes between 5400RPM to 7200RPM, based on demand.

Get the one with the longest warranty. They are equally reliable and perform equally to each other.

Seagate doesn't have the best warranty but I've had a good experience using them so far - none have died on me. Their performance is decent enough for a HDD, they're quiet, and they're a good value.

Get the cheapest one.  All hard drives fail at the same unresonably low rate these days.  Use redundancy and backups if you're actually worried about losing data.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-6/components-returns-rates-5.html

It's old data, but not much has changed in the hard drive manufacturing process.  They are made as cheap as possible and as fast as possible.

To ensure reliability of your el cheapo drive, the best thing to do is do a burn in routine by writing every block of the disk multiple times, and running it for a few days.  If it survives, chances are it was made properly and won't die until it wears out.  Bad controller boards usually fail immediately.

Save all this, make an array of SSDs.  They're much more reliable, and much more expensive.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Get the cheapest one.  All hard drives fail at the same unresonably low rate these days.  Use redundancy and backups if you're actually worried about losing data.

It's old data, but not much has changed in the hard drive manufacturing process.  They are made as cheap as possible and as fast as possible.

To ensure reliability of your el cheapo drive, the best thing to do is do a burn in routine by writing every block of the disk multiple times, and running it for a few days.  If it survives, chances are it was made properly and won't die until it wears out.  Bad controller boards usually fail immediately.

Save all this, make an array of SSDs.  They're much more reliable, and much more expensive.

I would agree with this, they all would fail about the same % the only difference is performance so, from what everyone is saying the blacks are loud, what sucks.. ive only used WD but i will be swapping to Seagate for my next drives, just stay with the main companys

so im going to say Seagate, because cheaper and 1tb platters so less moving parts :P

I hate the noise on the black drives. It's quite loud and very annoying. Apart from that, it has been a solid drive thus far.

no idea what you are on about, I have two caviar blacks in my pc right now and fans make alot more noise than those drives, 

never just get the cheapest drive, The only drives that I have seen fail as a pc technician are cheap fujitsu and toshiba drives. always stick to WD and Seagate they are the most reliable and they have the longest warranties

never just get the cheapest drive, The only drives that I have seen fail as a pc technician are cheap fujitsu and toshiba drives. always stick to WD and Seagate they are the most reliable and they have the longest warranties

Oddly enough, the drive that has lasted my for close to 8 years is 160gb fujitsu that I had to use when the scorpio black in my laptop died. Thing will not die and is for some reason a fast drive. It makes no sense :P

On newegg you can get a Seagate and a 3 year extended warranty (making for 5 years warranty) making it just as long as a black for less money. Check it out.

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-3770k OC @ 4.4GHz                       Graphics: MSI GTX 670 PE              SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB                    Case: Cooler Master Haf X      Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 2x8gb 1600 mhz

MotherBoard: Asus Maximus V formula      Optical: Asus 24x DVD Burner        HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda 3TB        PSU: Corsair AX850             Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I've got nine 3tb barracudas deployed around the house, mainly in my NAS, zero problems so far. Nothing wrong with the WDs either, I'd go with whichever is cheper (and did, clearly).

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

I'll vouch for the fact the WD blacks are quite loud. It can get quite annoying when they are under load.

I've got nine 3tb barracudas deployed around the house, mainly in my NAS, zero problems so far. Nothing wrong with the WDs either, I'd go with whichever is cheper (and did, clearly).

12 here, one was busted on arrival, the replacement hums contently in my box

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Interesting, I've never seen an actual comparison of drive failure rates. Based on that though I would go with seagate drives.

Also, SSD's aren't necessarily more reliable. While I would tend to agree with you, SSD's seem to be significantly more prone to firmware bugs which can cause some pretty severe complications.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Interesting, I've never seen an actual comparison of drive failure rates. Based on that though I would go with seagate drives.

Also, SSD's aren't necessarily more reliable. While I would tend to agree with you, SSD's seem to be significantly more prone to firmware bugs which can cause some pretty severe complications.

Only if you're running 1st gen Sandforce SSDs. SSDs are way more reliable these days.

Correct. SSDs has come a very long way in terms of reliability, and they continue to do so (unless we switch to TLC nand based SSD, which Samsung is pushing, to maximize profits).

i used to be a WD fanboy, but for storage (nas/ servers) i switched to seagate a while back. 

IMO seagate is a bigger bang for the buck.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<