R. I. P., Windows 7

Chiyawa

As today is the very last day before Windows 7 supports ended, I would like to take this opportunity to wallow in my room and cry over.

Anyway, what impact does Windows 7 have in your life? For me, probably good riddance of Windows Vista. But while everyone goes for Windows 7, I took the less path travel, which is to go for Linux (Ubuntu to be exact). I didn't use Windows 7 much in my life.

Well, let's get all the good vibes and fill this thread with all the best memories that Windows 7 had brought to us. Let it be a sweet end for a remarkable Operating System.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

As today is the very last day before Windows 7 supports ended, I would like to take this opportunity to wallow in my room and cry over.

Anyway, what impact does Windows 7 have in your life? For me, probably good riddance of Windows Vista. But while everyone goes for Windows 7, I took the less path travel, which is to go for Linux (Ubuntu to be exact). I didn't use Windows 7 much in my life.

Well, let's get all the good vibes and fill this thread with all the best memories that Windows 7 had brought to us. Let it be a sweet end for a remarkable Operating System.

When i first install Windows 7, i was amazed and instantly fall in love.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, homeap5 said:

When I first time saw win7, I thought: rebranded Vista.

And you were right on the money!

25 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

When I first time saw win7, I thought: rebranded Vista.

Vista is to spit on the floor

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Press F. Windows 7 was the best OS second to XP. :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

F

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I never even owned any Windows in service on my personal systems, I was 'just' the serviceman who managed to keep the pcs up and running from friends and family-members first, then their friends and colleagues showed up as well, and so on and so on.

A dead Windows 7 is like the dead WfW3.1x, Win98, XP and the born-dead Vista a good chance for anyone to get out of the vicious circle but I have my doubts that it will happen in significant numbers.

I felt Win 7 was much better and XP (and I loved XP). However, when Gates retired and that maniac Ballmer took over, MS started going downhill. Wnen Ballmer got replaced (which desperately needed to happen) with Nadella (not with him, though), Ms really began to plummet. Much of the nonsense Nadella barfed up for Win 10 started spilling over into Win 7, such as spyware, nagware, and frequent broken updates because MS started using users as unwitting beta testers. Because of that, I lost much of my love for Win 7 and no longer can trust MS at all (I even stopped downloading and installing updates two years ago because of all the grief they gave me) so I no longer care that Win 7 has reached EOL. Any future with MS is just too grim for me.

Instead, I'm divorcing MS and switching over to Linux Mint (currently 19.3). I'm already functional on it even though I still have a lot to learn, and haven't connected my Win 7 machine to the internet in around two weeks. I fire it up only to collect data to move over to the Linux machine, a tedious, time consuming process since I'm weeding out data that applies only to Windows.

I have similarly completely abandoned Adobe because of their similar decline. The final straw was when they adopted a cloud based, subscription based business model. MS is slowly heading that direction except they have also added advertising to their business model.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, Sushimus said:

*snip*

Thread merged.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I totally skip Windows Vista in order to wait to get my gaming desktop.  So I started with Windows 3.1 back in 1990.  Forward that to Windows 95 then around 1997 we got Windows 98 SE.  Then during the 2000's we got good deals from DELL with their DELL Dimension 3000's with Windows XP 32 bit.  Sadly it came with only 256 MB of RAM.  I didn't upgrade the PC until the late 2006.  Where I max out the RAM to 2 GB's and spent my money on those outdated PCI Video Cards just to play a few games.  I started with a PNY Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 Video Card.  Which only had 256 mb of RAM.  Then upgrade to two more GPU's PCI cards.  With BFG Tech 6200 OC and finally a BFG Tech 8400 GS.  By that time my DELL Dimension 3000 kept BSODing.  Due to bad caps.  So I had to wait until 2010.  To get Windows 7 because I wasn't sure if I was going to try to build a gaming PC during the Windows Vista era.  With the entire negative reviews about Windows Vista.  I decided on Windows 7.  I bought fairly good deal with a iBuyPowerPC Gamer Power WA500D3 system.  That came with...

Quick Info

Type
Gaming & Entertainment
Form Factor
Gamma Gaming Tower
Processor
AMD Athlon II x2 250 3.0GHz
Processor Main Features
64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor
2 x 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory
4GB DDR3 1333
Storage
500GB SATA II
Optical Drive
DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics
Dedicated ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics (512MB)
Audio
Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet
Power Supply
480W
Keyboard
Wireless Keyboard
Mouse
Wireless Mouse
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I had issues with the PC after around 2012.  Where the original RAM failed and totally failed to post with both sticks of RAM.  I had to RMA the motherboard the https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-M68MT-S2-rev-13#ov 
GA-M68MT-S2 (rev. 1.3)
Because the RAM did something to the motherboard and it refused to post.  Then I got the board back from Gigabyte.  And the old RAM posted and out of no-where after a Windows 7 update.  The motherboard's RAM Socket.  Sparked and it went completely dead again.  So I had to RMA it with 2 days of using it after being RMAed.  During that time without a PC.  I decided to buy new RAM, CPU, and a new GPU.  Because current hardware was getting old and I wasn't sure if I was going to upgrade to Windows 10 when it first came out.  So I got AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.0GHz CPU and Corsair XMS x2 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM and a Radeon 6570 GDDR3 2 GB PCIe x16.   And the motherboard came back and the installed the new hardware.  Then my PC was upgraded again when my Radeon 6570 was RMAed and I got an RMA upgrade to a R7 240 GDDR5 1 GB GPU.  The PC lasted until spring of 2018. 

By that time Ryzen was ready out and I wasn't going to rebuild the PC with the same hardware knowing how Windows 7 was going to ending it's support in 2020.  So I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1600 based system.  And I finally got Windows 10 pro.

Now I miss Windows 7.  However I still have one laptop that is a Windows 7 PC.  I won't change it to Linux or Windows 10.  Due to the hardware limitations of being a slow laptop with a single core CPU and DDR2 PC6400 800MHz.  And the price of DDR2 800MHz RAM in China has skyrocketed on Ebay.  So it's going to be an AFK machine for an MMORPG.  Which doesn't require much RAM and CPU.  And Avast officially said they will support Windows 7 for 2 more years.

It's sad that Windows 7 had to leave us.  However we can always remember the good times of Windows 7.

Windows 7 (Pro's and Con's)

Pro's
1.  Gadgets (Love them even if they were a security risk)
2.  UI (Very easy to use and simplified)
3.  Aero (I always love the Aero)
4. Supported my old retro games (Lords of The Realm 2, F.E.A.R, and Age of Empires)

Con's

1.   So many security updates
2.  OS was aging too fast when Windows 8/8.1/10 came out  

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

I still run my cable TV on Win7 Windows Media Center which is one of the better pieces of software MSFT created.  I'm staying with this gong forward as Win10 does not support the app.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10