How annoying are the fans on the new mobos?

I was told the new x570 line has annoying fans that make noise and it just adds an additional potential point of failure. How bad is it? I was considering buying the Aorus Elite x570 and finally upgrade from my old ass q6600 but right now im not sure if I should wait until next october for the new generation of Ryzens and (hopefully) the new mobos don't need active cooling, or the noise will not be noticeable? I will be using a Fraktal define r6. Im just going nuts working with this old computer, I cant believe ive resisted this long to update, but now those fans on motherboards are making me having doubts. I don't plan on doing any overclocking. I do music so I want silence. I dont like liquid cooling, good fans are silent, im just not sure about a mobo having a fan..

The chipset fans on my Asus WS-X570 and Zenith II Extreme boards hardly ever spin. When they do, I can't say I notice except when the case is open and I am literally inches away.

some models are known to get loud if the need to turn on, but most people say that they rarely turn on in a well built system

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Does anyone have some bechmarks where they measure audible noise?

I dunno. AMD fans are pretty annoying in general

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

The fan of my crosshair viii hero was not audible, but I removed it for a waterblock.

https://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/10204

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:32 AM, Den-Fi said:

The chipset fans on my Asus WS-X570 and Zenith II Extreme boards hardly ever spin. When they do, I can't say I notice except when the case is open and I am literally inches away.

is the asus aorus elite much different? that was the one i was going to buy but now im worried about the fan

if the fan dies can it be replaced? like do they sell official replacements?

I have an x570 Aorus Pro and quite honestly, I can't even hear the chipset fan sitting right next to it and definitely can't hear it over my case fans.

As far as the fan dying, only time will tell but as far as I understand, unless your running a multitude of PCI 4.0 devices, I don't think the chipset even gets all that hot so even a fan failure might not be the end of the MB even if you can't get replacements. 

2 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

I have an x570 Aorus Pro and quite honestly, I can't even hear the chipset fan sitting right next to it and definitely can't hear it over my case fans.

As far as the fan dying, only time will tell but as far as I understand, unless your running a multitude of PCI 4.0 devices, I don't think the chipset even gets all that hot so even a fan failure might not be the end of the MB even if you can't get replacements. 

Well, do you want to be a in a position of having no fan to find out? if they put a fan in there it was because it was needed.. I just hope this isnt a big fail.

Also, Aorus Pro vs Elite what are the difference and the fan is the same?

At first my Zenith II Extreme was perfectly fine.  At the end of my benchmarking and before blowing out the drive to reload my normal system I decided to install all the crap that came from ASUS to see if any of it was worthy.  Nope!  One of those apps decided to crank my chipset fan to 100% (not VRM, down by the PCIe slots).  It's freaking loud!  Before it was either silently spinning or off.  I figured whatever, blew out the install and reloaded Windows.  Now I can't seem to change it at all.  It's just stuck at 100%.  Power off - nope.  Blow out BIOS - nope.  What the heck?

On 1/14/2020 at 4:32 AM, Den-Fi said:

Wasnt Asus lacking for 0 rpm at idle? ive read only GB and MSI had it. How do you know when they spin? is there software to look at the rpm? does openhwmonitor show mobo rpm fan?

1 hour ago, JEmlay said:

At first my Zenith II Extreme was perfectly fine.  At the end of my benchmarking and before blowing out the drive to reload my normal system I decided to install all the crap that came from ASUS to see if any of it was worthy.  Nope!  One of those apps decided to crank my chipset fan to 100% (not VRM, down by the PCIe slots).  It's freaking loud!  Before it was either silently spinning or off.  I figured whatever, blew out the install and reloaded Windows.  Now I can't seem to change it at all.  It's just stuck at 100%.  Power off - nope.  Blow out BIOS - nope.  What the heck?

Wow, this is sure motivation for me to buy those fucking mobos.

2 hours ago, JEmlay said:

After beating my head against a wall for 2 days I decided to try the Optimize All option in BIOS (QFan) and for some reason that unstuck whatever was stuck.  Back to normal. Put all my curves back and I'm back to silent!

1 hour ago, JEmlay said:

After beating my head against a wall for 2 days I decided to try the Optimize All option in BIOS (QFan) and for some reason that unstuck whatever was stuck.  Back to normal. Put all my curves back and I'm back to silent!

Im not going to touch anything on the BIOS. Software should be enough.

19 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Im not going to touch anything on the BIOS. Software should be enough.

That's the beauty of having a good cooler.  You get to set the cooling to moderate which is silent and then you never have to worry about it.

Also, software is what got me in my mess.  I'm never touching that again.

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

Wasnt Asus lacking for 0 rpm at idle? ive read only GB and MSI had it. How do you know when they spin? is there software to look at the rpm? does openhwmonitor show mobo rpm fan?

HWiNFO shows me all my temps and all my fans.  Every header on the MB, every fan on the MB and GPU.

14 hours ago, JEmlay said:

That's the beauty of having a good cooler.  You get to set the cooling to moderate which is silent and then you never have to worry about it.

Also, software is what got me in my mess.  I'm never touching that again.

But what sort of options can a bios have? its very limited. And how do you trouble shoot? you have to go back and forth into the bios until you get it right?

On 1/17/2020 at 6:41 AM, Windows95 said:

But what sort of options can a bios have? its very limited. And how do you trouble shoot? you have to go back and forth into the bios until you get it right?

What fan curve options are you looking for?  It's just a fan curve.  For me I just set a typical fan curve that was a little more aggressive on the top end.  But I guess one option would be to use software to get your optimal fan curve then just use that data in BIOS.

For me, less software, less processes, less CPU usage is the benefit.

One thing to note, when I ran the Optimize All option the fan curve it recommended was almost spot on to the one I was using.

AMD 3070x paired with ASUS ROG 360 with 6 fans (push/pull)
Prime95 for over an hour, I never go above 74 degrees and all cores hit max.

Nothing I do will ever push my system harder than that.  Getting a little off topic now but the take away is my Zenith II Extreme even when pushed super hard is pretty quiet.  And of course stay away from the ASUS AI software garbage.

59 minutes ago, JEmlay said:

What fan curve options are you looking for?  It's just a fan curve.  For me I just set a typical fan curve that was a little more aggressive on the top end.  But I guess one option would be to use software to get your optimal fan curve then just use that data in BIOS.

For me, less software, less processes, less CPU usage is the benefit.

One thing to note, when I ran the Optimize All option the fan curve it recommended was almost spot on to the one I was using.

AMD 3070x paired with ASUS ROG 360 with 6 fans (push/pull)
Prime95 for over an hour, I never go above 74 degrees and all cores hit max.

Nothing I do will ever push my system harder than that.  Getting a little off topic now but the take away is my Zenith II Extreme even when pushed super hard is pretty quiet.  And of course stay away from the ASUS AI software garbage.

Im gonna buy the GB Aorus Pro hopefully its good.

What are the acceptable temps for 3950x? i mean:

idle temp

browsing temp

lightweight-medium work temp (editing video/audio)

massive work temp: rendering stuff