Can't Connect to FreeNAS Server through Windows File Explorer

Go to solution Solved by JustAsh,

Hi there!

As Wardy said, he got the same issue fixed today

I fixed it.

I owned the pool as the user he made (not root)

chown -R user:user /mnt/pool

and then made sure his user has rwx perms for his user & group

It does sound like the same issue, and though I don't know exactly why, windows doesn't seem to like anything owned by root

I hope that's helped some!

Hey all, looking for some help.

Built a new home NAS to run FreeNAS, got it booted, loaded into the GUI through Chrome on my desktop all fine.

I've set up my pool, created my dataset, and now I'm trying to map this drive so that I can access it through my Windows machine and start loading up files.

When I map the drive, log in with my credentials, it shows up under "This PC" as a network location; but, I get this error when trying to access it (IP address hidden):

image.png.2cf616d9e9d441ea6b27a23436e7e2e8.png

I've tried some general troubleshooting from online threads but haven't had any luck. Would really appreciate any advice. Let me know if you need any more info.

FreeNAS version: FreeNAS-11.2-U7

Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 1909

I have not familiarized myself with the new WebUI so I can only provide permission instructions.

1. Leave the top level dataset as root.
  2. Create your sub-datasets and assign them to the users accounts/groups as necessary.
  3. Set dataset permissions to Windows (strict)
  4. Go over to SMB over in Sharing. Apply Default Permissions ☑️

It's been a while but this should be all you need. It will authenticate you as the owner of the dataset when you login and let you operate based on Windows permissions from there.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I have not familiarized myself with the new WebUI so I can only provide permission instructions.

1. Leave the top level dataset as root.
  2. Create your sub-datasets and assign them to the users accounts/groups as necessary.
  3. Set dataset permissions to Windows (strict)
  4. Go over to SMB over in Sharing. Apply Default Permissions ☑️

It's been a while but this should be all you need. It will authenticate you as the owner of the dataset when you login and let you operate based on Windows permissions from there.

I've gone back and double checked, it looks as though I've done this as far as I can tell.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are the share permissions? How have you setup users?

What happends if you set permissions to everyone has all access?

Here's the permissions I've got applied to my dataset.

image.png.a00beb95eda256542c9e658d654d6b22.png

And here are the permissions I've been using for the SMB:

image.png.976efc87f33da10ebff3dab7141e0d16.png

Currently I've only been using the "root" account and password to sign in through Windows file explorer. Do I need to create a separate user account under users?

To get mine to work i had to create a new group and put my new user in it, then grant that group access to the pool.

Apparently the default "wheel" group in to which the install puts root doesn't grant you anything.

33 minutes ago, TehWardy said:

To get mine to work i had to create a new group and put my new user in it, then grant that group access to the pool.

Apparently the default "wheel" group in to which the install puts root doesn't grant you anything.

Thanks for the advice - just tried this, unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue. :( 

Hi there!

I fixed it.

It does sound like the same issue, and though I don't know exactly why, windows doesn't seem to like anything owned by root

wht cc

1 hour ago, saymyusername said:

I've gone back and double checked, it looks as though I've done this as far as I can tell.

And here are the permissions I've been using for the SM

Currently I've only been using the "root" account and password to sign in through Windows file explorer. Do I need to create a separate user account under users?

What account are you mounting it with? Try uinsg map network drive and provide the credientals you gave to freenas.

2 hours ago, saymyusername said:

And here are the permissions I've been using for the SMB:

Are you trying to login as root or another user?

Is the owner of the dataset the one you're logging into?

This is a quote I was given by a Moderator over on the FreeNAS forums:

1. Do not touch the top-level dataset or the system dataset.
  2. Set ownership of datasets to be shared (and only those) according to who will be in charge of them.
  3. Set the permissions type (aclmode) on datasets to be shared via SMB to Windows (restricted).

And that's all there is to it. You can set sane default permissions in the SMB config menu that gives the owner+group read/write/execute permissions. Other can read/execute.

1 hour ago, JustAsh said:

Hi there!

I fixed it.

Thanks @JustAsh, after trying this several times finally worked. I think I didn't have the right combination of user credentials/permissions/folder ownership at any one time... until I did. Thanks again for solving, really appreciate it! ❤️ 

@Electronics Wizardy thanks, your advice was also right, I was just too much of a dumbass to use the right credentials at the right time.

Cheers everyone ✌️

Im having the same issue here, Ive tried making a different user and adding that to the pool but that doesn't seem to be working. Ive also tried making another share just to try something that is default, that also doesn't seem to work.