Dual Xeon X5670's or Single E5-2679 For Workstation

Can't decide between 

2x Xeon x5670's w/48gb ECC DDR3, Titan X (Maxwell) / Vega 64

OR

1x Xeon E5-2689  w/ 32gb ECC DDR3, Titan X (Maxwell) / Vega 64

For CAD, Video Editing, very occasional gaming@3840x1080 (2x1080p monitors)

Depends on the programs you're using. The 2689 has faster single threaded of course but the 5670 setup will have 2 more cores. Also, why 

6 minutes ago, Tom Kingston said:

Titan X (Maxwell) / Vega 64

Are you deciding between the two or using both together?  If you're choosing between them, the Vega wins by a mile.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Depends on the programs you're using. The 2689 has faster single threaded of course but the 5670 setup will have 2 more cores. Also, why 

Are you deciding between the two or using both together?  If you're choosing between them, the Vega wins by a mile.

Yuuuup

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I'm assuming it's a E5 2689 V1 ( the 8 core 16 thread one). Then it's not really the best choice in your case. If it's the v4 with 10 cores then go for that all the way no doubt about it. Also get a vega 64 above a titan x. The titan is quite a bit slower then the vega 64.

On a sidenote what are the prices you are getting these for? Might just be a better idea to go for a used ryzen system as it's more current and matches/beats these configs as long as you go with an 8 core one.

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I'm assuming it's a E5 2689 V1 ( the 8 core 16 thread one). Then it's not really the best choice in your case. If it's the v4 with 10 cores then go for that all the way no doubt about it. Also get a vega 64 above a titan x. The titan is quite a bit slower then the vega 64.

On a sidenote what are the prices you are getting these for? Might just be a better idea to go for a used ryzen system as it's more current and matches/beats these configs as long as you go with an 8 core one.

Sometimes you can even get used first gen TR for cheap. THAT will be a perf boost like a boss

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Sometimes you can even get used first gen TR for cheap. THAT will be a perf boost like a boss

First gen threadripper is not great for gaming tho (neither are any of the xeon options) but for all the other things it will be so much better.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

First gen threadripper is not great for gaming tho (neither are any of the xeon options) but for all the other things it will be so much better.

Yeha sure. Everything comes down to usecase