RM850 (2019) Coil Whine

AtrexZ

So I just got a RM850 and its got some annoying coil whine and apparently this is common and its not a defective unit. I would just replace it for a different brand but I already got custom cables for it and ironically those are more expensive than the psu itself lol. The cables are also compatible with RMi and RMx series, should I upgrade to one of those? Will I see an improvement in noise levels?

Yes, definitely, despite similarities in name, RMx and RMi are way better. No idea why Corsair named it 'RM' when it's closer to TXm performance wise than to RMx\i.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Coil whine is essentially just a random chance. Some units will have it, some might only have it at certain power draws, and some not at all.

if it really bothers you, maybe see if you can RMA your unit for a different one which will hopefully have less coil whine.

Upgrading will give you a better quality PSU with less chance of coil whine, but it also costs money.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Where you're buying anyway ? I could recommend you smth, not necessarily Corsair RMx, there might be something else.

27 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yes, definitely, despite similarities in name, RMx and RMi are way better. No idea why Corsair named it 'RM' when it's closer to TXm performance wise than to RMx\i.

the RM 2019 is more like an RMx but with slightly cheaper capacitors and fan , and does outperform the rmx in certain areas 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-rm-750-2019/

Corsair's plan with the revamped RM line is to offer the same performance levels as with its popular RMx lines at more affordable prices. To achieve this, all RM models come with slightly lower-quality capacitors which will still outlive the ten-year warranty and a more affordable fan that uses a rifle bearing. So instead of the Japanese Nichicon and Chemi-Con caps and bullet-proof NR135L fan the RMx models use, you will find Chinese Elite caps and a Hong-Hua fan in their RM units.

Despite the hardware changes mentioned above, the new RM models score higher than current RMx units in some areas as efficiency levels under ultra-light loads are better and the RM models support the new Modern Standby mode in Windows 10. Depending on the hardware, it usually takes 3–15 seconds for a PC in S3 sleep mode to turn on, while the modern standby function promises to bring this time to just under five seconds. As it seems, thanks to the new standby function, our PCs will be able to wake up as fast as our mobile phones.

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

15 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

the RM 2019 is more like an RMx but with slightly cheaper capacitors and fan , and does outperform the rmx in certain areas

RM 2019 lead on efficiency are rather small, it does support Modern Standby however. But while it's still much quieter unit than TXm, it's not as quiet as RMx and coil whine are known issue, no idea why but smth fucked up in it's design apparently.

57 minutes ago, AtrexZ said:

Im buying from UK

BitFenix Formula Gold 550W (non-modular) - 66.5 GBP

Riotoro Enigma G2 850W (Seasonic Focus rebrand) - 77 GBP

BitFenix Whisper M 550W - 83 GBP

Corsair RMx 2018 - 84 GBP

If you don't care about modularity then go for first option, very quiet unit. Otherwise go for one of other three, last two may be a bit quieter but not by much.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

coil whine are known issue, no idea why but smth fucked up in it's design apparently.

where did you hear about coil whine being known for this exact model ? maybe it was just a batch that didn't have enough caulk to suppress the noise 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

Thanks for the input guys! Ill try my luck with a RM850x

5 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

where did you hear about coil whine being known for this exact model ? maybe it was just a batch that didn't have enough caulk to suppress the noise 

There are a lot of reports about it and if you see Cybenetics report on it, there are two distinctive spikes up to 25 dBa on ~5% load and ~30% load. Maybe it just unfortunate batches but still.

5 minutes ago, AtrexZ said:

Thanks for the input guys! Ill try my luck with a RM850x

RM850x ? What's your specs anyway ? You don't need 850W for a gaming PC.

Just now, Juular said:

RM850x ? What's your specs anyway ? You don't need 850W for a gaming PC.

I have a 2070 super with a ryzen 7 3700x. The reason I decided to go 850w is because I dont want additional psu fan noise when its under load

9 minutes ago, AtrexZ said:

I have a 2070 super with a ryzen 7 3700x. The reason I decided to go 850w is because I dont want additional psu fan noise when its under load

That's about 300W peak power draw in gaming, you'll be good with 550W units i've mentioned above, and Riotoro one are 850W even.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's about 300W peak power draw in gaming, you'll be good with 550W units i've mentioned above, and Riotoro one are 850W even.

Ok, thanks. Ill consider a lower wattage psu

1 hour ago, Mezoxin said:

they call it whining, it's not

it's the controller making a sound close to whining when switching between powerstates, which is a thing i've mentioned many times already

1 hour ago, Juular said:

There are a lot of reports about it and if you see Cybenetics report on it, there are two distinctive spikes up to 25 dBa on ~5% load and ~30% load. Maybe it just unfortunate batches but still.

it shows on the 850w variant but strangely the 650w doesn't have that 25dba spike , but I doubt that 25dba would be that audible when a psu is placed in a shroud and the furthest away from the user 

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

they call it whining, it's not

it's the controller making a sound close to whining when switching between powerstates, which is a thing i've mentioned many times already

It must be the new Champion resonant controller then , can you link me something more detailed ?

PC Part Picker

Just now, Mezoxin said:

It must be the new Champion resonant controller then , can you link me something more detailed ?

in tweakpc's review you can clearly see it

such high frequency noise is relatively unidirectional  and would be blocked very easily by any obstruction like a PSU shroud , if you put it on an open bench or have the psu exhaust facing you or a highly reflective surface it might be audible 

PC Part Picker

Just got an RM750x and the noise still persists. I've attached the sound it makes. I've just moved in a new house, can this be a grounding issue?

19 Jan, 17.50.mp3

this is as i said before is coil whine , coil whine is normal . can you really hear the sound that well unless you are directly facing the PSU exhaust ?

PC Part Picker

25 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

this is as i said before is coil whine , coil whine is normal . can you really hear the sound that well unless you are directly facing the PSU exhaust ?

My pc is on the desk pretty close to me so yeah, I can hear it. That's the third PSU I'm going through, am I really that unlucky? My previous PSU was an old cx600 and its dead quiet.