LTT Audio Quality

Jet_ski

When I watch LTT content the audio puts pressure on my ears, similar effect to the ear pressure from noise cancelling headphones. I compared the LTT videos to some other videos and it sounds to me as if the LTT videos are shot with the microphone farther away, you don’t hear the lower frequencies. This isn’t an issue on the WAN show. I noticed the similar thing with another YouTuber who also uses a RED camera and has the mic attached to the camera.

Anyone else experience this?

Just now, Jet_ski said:

as if the LTT videos are shot with the microphone farther away

I think they use lapel mics that they stick under/over their shirts.

I get this sometimes when cooking bacon on my stove, lol. I think it's a sensitivity to certain frequencies.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

I'm not entirely sure if you mean what I'm experiencing. In my case, I can feel my ears "blocking" similar to what you'd get if you heard a really loud sound and "unblocking" and this effect happens rapidly and almost all the time I'm watching some LTT-stuff on my phone. A lot of other content does that as well, but it's especially noticeable with LTT-videos. Then again, I seem to only be getting it with my phone, not e.g. with my desktop-speakers. It must be playing some high-frequency sound that I am not hearing per se, but my ears are reacting to nevertheless.

The effect feels very, very uncomfortable to me.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

As you get older, you lose the ability to hear certain frequencies.... you've probably just started to notice it because you're considered OLD now.  :)

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

2 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

As you get older, you lose the ability to hear certain frequencies.... you've probably just started to notice it because you're considered OLD now.  :)

You know those high pitch devices they install in certain areas to make teenagers uncomfortable and make them leave? I can hear them even though they say anyone above 24 shouldn’t hear it.

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I'm not entirely sure if you mean what I'm experiencing. In my case, I can feel my ears "blocking" similar to what you'd get if you heard a really loud sound and "unblocking" and this effect happens rapidly and almost all the time I'm watching some LTT-stuff on my phone. A lot of other content does that as well, but it's especially noticeable with LTT-videos. Then again, I seem to only be getting it with my phone, not e.g. with my desktop-speakers. It must be playing some high-frequency sound that I am not hearing per se, but my ears are reacting to nevertheless.

The effect feels very, very uncomfortable to me.

It’s hard to describe the sensation but I think we’re talking about the same thing. I get it on my laptop too which has great speakers. It’s definitely not because of my devices.

As said, they use mic packs for everything but WAN. For WAN they have shotgun mic on boom arm (Luke has hit his head to it couple times).

E: Looking at latest WAN Show, it might be more cardioid style mic. Its lower than usually, as its visible in framing. Either way, its still different than what they use for regular content. Minus Vlogs where its just mounted mic on camera (usually Sony A7 or FS).

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/10/2020 at 5:49 AM, Jet_ski said:

When I watch LTT content the audio puts pressure on my ears, similar effect to the ear pressure from noise cancelling headphones. I compared the LTT videos to some other videos and it sounds to me as if the LTT videos are shot with the microphone farther away, you don’t hear the lower frequencies. This isn’t an issue on the WAN show. I noticed the similar thing with another YouTuber who also uses a RED camera and has the mic attached to the camera.

Idk if it's just Linus' voice or the way it's captured and edited but it hits some sort of a speaker resonance @ mid frequency and sounds pretty bad on smaller speakers like the ones on laptops. Other frequencies are fine (e.g. deeper or thinner voices, music, except for Linus pretty much) ?