Will my old Gigabyte HB1MS motherboard support RTX cards?

BaidDSB

So I currently have an i7 4700 and 16gb ddr3 ram on that motherboard with a GTX 1050ti.

I was planning an upgrade in 2020 to an ryzen 4700x when it comes with an rtx 3080 and ddr4 ram.

Then I saw micron testing ddr5 ram and I decided that I will wait for it.

Thing is, my 1050ti is not good enough anymore and really need a gpu upgrade this year.

So my question is, while I wait for ddr5 ram and compatible MB and CPU, can I buy an upcoming rtx 3080 to replace my 1050ti on my CURRENT MOTHERBOARD?

Will the HB1MS support it? I know it will bottleneck but I'd accept it.

There isn't really any guaranty that there will be another generation of Nvidia GPUs for awhile. 

As for compatibility, as long as future GPUs and motherboards are using PCIe that is backwards compatible when DDR5 becomes mainstream, it will work fine. Probably.

18 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

So I currently have an i7 4700 and 16gb ddr3 ram on that motherboard with a GTX 1050ti.

I was planning an upgrade in 2020 to an ryzen 4700x when it comes with an rtx 3080 and ddr4 ram.

Then I saw micron testing ddr5 ram and I decided that I will wait for it.

Thing is, my 1050ti is not good enough anymore and really need a gpu upgrade this year.

So my question is, while I wait for ddr5 ram and compatible MB and CPU, can I buy an upcoming rtx 3080 to replace my 1050ti on my CURRENT MOTHERBOARD?

Will the HB1MS support it? I know it will bottleneck but I'd accept it.

Should be absolutely fine. Your motherboard is running PCIe 2.0 but unless you go for a 2080S or 2080Ti it's not going to be holding your GPU back at all.

EDIT: I thought you were wanting current gen RTX sorry. There probably will be a PCIe 2.0 bottleneck with a 3080 whenever they arrive, but you could have quite the wait. It should work no problem though, PCIe is backwards compatible.

CPU - Core i7 4770 RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU - XFX RX 470 4GB

SSD - 1TB TCSUNBOW X3 PSU - 500W Aerocool Integrator

25 minutes ago, LordMacrae said:

Should be absolutely fine. Your motherboard is running PCIe 2.0 but unless you go for a 2080S or 2080Ti it's not going to be holding your GPU back at all.

EDIT: I thought you were wanting current gen RTX sorry. There probably will be a PCIe 2.0 bottleneck with a 3080 whenever they arrive, but you could have quite the wait. It should work no problem though, PCIe is backwards compatible.

I will be getting an RTX 3080. And it will be for just a  few months till the DDR5 ram comes in.

I only play Rainbow 6 Siege and Cities Skylines for now. Will it be good enough even with bottleneck?