How to test my 2080 ti with 2x8 having a 6+2/1x6?

Daeyve

hi,

I'm about to buy a secondhand 2080 ti, i currently have an MSI GTX 970 installed on a  XFX TS Series 550W (0ATX12V 2.2/ EPS12V 2.91 - 80 PLUS Bronze - 100-240 Volt)

So my 970 has a 6 pin connector and a 6+2 pin configuration. I figured I'd simply swap the 970 with the 2080 and have a quick check in gpu z to see if all is well. 

However, the 2080 ti has 2x 8-pin connectors. It's the Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Advanced edition. Can I still run a test to see if it works, or do I need to trust my luck?

The XFX TS - whether it is 80+ Bronze or Gold - would not be a recommended PSU for the videocard.

Does other 6 pin not have the extra 2 pin hanging loose? Because there is a chance the system could shutoff when the GPU is expecting the extra power, or maybe it doesn't fully boot at all.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The 2080 is going in a new build with a gigabyte G750H, but it won't arrive until next week. By then the 2080 will have been sold, getting a good deal on it.

Can't find any loose hanging 2 pin. The only reason I'm trying this is because I'm a little paranoid about buying a GPU for 850 and it being a possibility that it doesn't work.

6 minutes ago, Daeyve said:

The 2080 is going in a new build with a gigabyte G750H, but it won't arrive until next week. By then the 2080 will have been sold, getting a good deal on it.

Can't find any loose hanging 2 pin. The only reason I'm trying this is because I'm a little paranoid about buying a GPU for 850 and it being a possibility that it doesn't work.

It likely will boot, but you wouldn't be able to fully test the card, as you can't supply the full power needed to it.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Actually looking up my current PSU it clearly states it has 2x 6+2 pci-e connections. Guess I'm taking a closer look and undoing all of the zipties.. lord have mercy

The two extra pins are ground, so they can be connected to the other ground pins in the connector.

If you have a multimeter around to measure the voltage, simply measure the voltage on the pins of the connector on the video card and figure which ones are ground... then you could connect them together with a small piece of wire (make a L shaped wire and put it over those solder points and then put some tape over, if you can't use a soldering iron.

If you have a soldering iron and some solder, you can join together the 3 ground pins in the corner and you're done.

Alternatively, you can get a 6pin to 6+2/8 pin adapter cable. The 6 pin connector can give just as much power as a 8 pin connector, you still have the same number of 12v wires in the connector, 3 pairs.

image.png.7d5e5f0cc9cac642db9abd1c247698a5.png

I found a random loose 8pin connector, then I checked the manual. there's an 8 pin that's power, and there's one 6/8pin for pci-express. 

In my current gpu there's a 6+2 and a 6pin.

Can I check that gpu tomorrow by just using the 6+2 and this random 8 pin with a B on it, or will that damage something? I have no idea what the "B" stands for.

8 pin.jpg

problem.JPG

Basically, my question is, if I put that EPS12V power connector into the second 8pin slot on the 2080ti, will it get the power needed to test it?

2 hours ago, Daeyve said:

Basically, my question is, if I put that EPS12V power connector into the second 8pin slot on the 2080ti, will it get the power needed to test it?

EPS and PCIE have a different incompatible pinout, if that is your question (and it won't even fit, unless you apply force, which you shouldn't do).

Spsgx.png

that videocard will need two 6+2 pin cables to function fully.

The connectors are KEYED  (some holes are square, some have that D shape) and the pattern is different, so you should not be able to insert the EPS connector into pci-e. 

Damnit, well it's impossible to get this cable anywhere without ordering online (and waiting a day or so), so I'm gonna have to try my luck on this one. Thanks for everything guys.

if you live near a computer store that also fixes PCs you could ask them to test it for you or ask them for a molex to pcie power adapter (ive gotten some fan adapters for free from my local shop)... might charge you a few bucks. But DO NOT force the EPS connector into the gpu.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

Already tried like 9 shops "sorry can't help you"

To make matters worse, the PSU i ordered, a 750watt gold semi-mod from gigabyte seems to be missing an additional 4 pin connection that my motherboard needs, so sayeth pcpartpicker... damnit.

witcher.gif

that sucks. they used to include them in the box with some GPUs.

if the 4pin you are talking about, is for the CPU ie: you have an 8pin and a 4pin on your motherboard you can run with only the 8pin no problem its more for overclocking.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

Ah, well thats good news, it did say either for OC or big graphics cards, figured the 2080 ti is as big as they get so I needed it, but we'll see