Buying a 144hz gaming monitor now or in 1-3 months?

Ein0r

I have been looking for somewhat budget gaming monitors for a while now and found the aoc 24g2u and the 27g2u. 144hz, ips panel, good prices. Seems perfect. I am not sure yet if the pixel density on the 27" version will bother me compared to the 24" monitor, as both are 1080p monitors. And I am not sure if I can find proper comparison screens in our local stores.

But when I looked at the delivery time, amazon as well as other stores have a delivery time of 2-3 months. I am not in a dire need for a new monitor, but I finally want to upgrade my old 60hz monitor, for gaming.

Are there maybe some decent alternatives coming in the next months? Waiting 2+ months for a new monitor just to see better alternatives to arrive in the 150-250€ budget range is something I would like to avoid.

Can you get them from a different shop other than amazon? Is your current monitor 24in as well? Or smaller? If it's smaller, 24 will be enough. If it's already 2r and want to go bigger, go 27.

My current one is a BenQ G2420HDBL, a 24" 60hz monitor. I read several articles and comments that 27" 1080p might be a bit pixelated compared to the 24" version but didn't get around to actually taking a look and compare the resolution in our electronics stores. My face is ~ 70- 80cm (~2,3 feet) away from the screen. I am also not entirely sure if I necessarily want to go bigger, but i definitely want to go with a 144hz monitor as my new main device, compared to my 60hz one.

I will keep mine as a second monitor, that's why i also tend to favor a new 24" monitor, for uniformity reasons. But that is also just a minor nitpick and neglectable. I don't want a curved one though.

Yes there are different vendors but they have the same delivery time for the monitors.

9 hours ago, Ein0r said:

My current one is a BenQ G2420HDBL, a 24" 60hz monitor. I read several articles and comments that 27" 1080p might be a bit pixelated compared to the 24" version but didn't get around to actually taking a look and compare the resolution in our electronics stores. My face is ~ 70- 80cm (~2,3 feet) away from the screen. I am also not entirely sure if I necessarily want to go bigger, but i definitely want to go with a 144hz monitor as my new main device, compared to my 60hz one.

I will keep mine as a second monitor, that's why i also tend to favor a new 24" monitor, for uniformity reasons. But that is also just a minor nitpick and neglectable. I don't want a curved one though.

Yes there are different vendors but they have the same delivery time for the monitors.

I have an asus mx 279h since like 5 years, it's 27"  1080p  and unless you get really close you don't see any pixels (if the game is good I guess)  and honestly, if you get really close to a 24"  you will see pixels too. 

The reason they say this is because it's 1080p and as such "outdated"  the problem is if your hardware can only push 1080p it's still by far the best option because a 1440p screen will have at least slight artefacts when displaying 1080p content -  although not sure about 4k since that should at least divide proportionally - although 4k is not really a defined standard like 1080p is so maybe probably not. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

The reason they say this is because it's 1080p and as such "outdated"  the problem is if your hardware can only push 1080p it's still by far the best option because a 1440p screen will have at least slight artefacts when displaying 1080p conten

Thanks for the advice, that is something I didn't really consider. I have a gtx 1060, so depending on who you ask the answers are a flat no or a mixed yes, but not at max settings. I am not playing the latest and greatest, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. The bigger factor is budget as I can't really go over 300€, and for most 27" in that category that is about the starting line. 

1 hour ago, Ein0r said:

Thanks for the advice, that is something I didn't really consider. I have a gtx 1060, so depending on who you ask the answers are a flat no or a mixed yes, but not at max settings. I am not playing the latest and greatest, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. The bigger factor is budget as I can't really go over 300€, and for most 27" in that category that is about the starting line. 

Yeap, most newer games you can forget playing 1440p/60 fps with a 1060...

There are exceptions of course but those are rare,  usually fighting or racing games where nothing much ever happens graphically lol.

And uh,  idk, I'm in the same boat... Lots of good 27" 144hz 1080p monitors between 200 and 300 euros... 

There are so many seemingly very similar it becomes an issue deciding actually. 

There's even quite a few MSI monitors in that range, which aren't the greatest but good enough and stylish,  if that's your thing.  :)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity