Help, how do i recover a deleted hard drive volume

TheJedi

So yesterday I set up a new SSD on my pc. When I installed it and opened up disk manager, I found that I had a recover partition on it as it had been a windows drive beforehand.

I tried to delete it through diskpart but it didn't show up there so I turned to my dad for help as he works in the IT industry.

I went away for about ten minutes and when I can back I had discovered that he had put in the wrong volume number in diskpart and had run the 'delete volume override' command on my 1tb drive.

That drive had over 700gb of data that I had stored on it.

I know that when you delete a volume it does delete the data inside so I am wondering how I can restore the data

Any Ideas??

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

9 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

on my 1tb drive

Is it an SSD? If yes, the data has likely already been TRIMmed and thus not recoverable at all. If it's a regular HDD, it's likely the entire partition can be restored as-is with e.g. Testdisk. That said, before you do anything, make a bit-for-bit copy of the 1TB drive just in case with e.g. dd or ddrescue under Linux. Or make your dad do it, since he's the one who messed things up in the first place.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

First thing, make a image of the drive.

Then Id try test disk, if you have just delete the partition table, its probably possible to recover the wole parition.

Is it possible to send a step by step guide on testdisk. I downloaded it yesterday but not fully sure how to use it.

I have been trying to use the other tool photorec which comes from the same zip but this tool is running at the speed of a snail.

Also doesn't testdisk require you to copy the data to somewhere else? 

System

How do I make an image of the drive if I cant see it on my windows machine

System

1 minute ago, CloudPC said:

Is it possible to send a step by step guide on testdisk

There are guides on their website, mate.

How do I make an image of the drive if I cant see it on my windows machine

Use an imaging-tool that can make an image of the entire drive, not just the partitions on it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thanks I will have a look,

My dad has just messaged me about getting a usb to sata cable and using the HDD as a caddy.

Will that work in this case.

Could I access the data?

System

My dad has just messaged me about getting a usb to sata cable and using the HDD as a caddy.

Will that work in this case.

Could I access the data?

You still need to use Testdisk or similar. Whether you're using the HDD directly via SATA or through USB doesn't change anything, but using it over USB will just slow things down.

There's plenty of information on testdisk, it's not that hard to use. Use case is primarily to get a working partition structure which often includes the recovery of an overwritten/deleted partition. There's no magic to it.

ddrescue is in order to save your drive (byte for byte) as it is now, in case rescue attempts make the situation even worse you'll still be able to bring it back to the actual situation.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

You still need to use Testdisk or similar. Whether you're using the HDD directly via SATA or through USB doesn't change anything, but using it over USB will just slow things down.

I have run a testdisk session but it is taking absolutely ages. Will it take more than a day to analyse.

System

9 hours ago, CloudPC said:

I have been trying to use the other tool photorec which comes from the same zip but this tool is running at the speed of a snail.

Photorec is different, it's to recover individual files by copying them to another drive, with all metadata (names, folder structure) lost.

Testdisk should recognise the deleted partitions and just recreate the partition table so the drive would work again as is.

You want the 2nd. And you still want to do it on a copy of the drive you'd make first.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2