MB not seeing correct RAM speed, wont post if changed

jtice

I have an Asus TUF Gaming MB, Ryzen 5 3600,  and my RAM is G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz

When I look at the BIOS everything is set to auto and it seeing the RAM as 2233MHz

If I manually set it to 3600 and reboot, it will not post, I just get a black screen,

I have to pull the cmos battery and short the reset pins, then I can get back into BIOS and its back to 2133MHz.

The odd thing is, the board shipped with BIOS firmware that was something like version 1205, and it let me change it and would post then.

But, after I did a BIOS update to 14** (newest) it would not post.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Which RAM slots are you installed into?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Slots A2 and B2, which it what the manual had shown.

I would have thought A1 and B1, but I went with what the MB manual had.

Correction, its showing as 2133MHz, not 2300.

Edited my first post.

Hmmmm.  Which motherboard are you using?  The X470 or X570?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Set the voltage manually to what your memory sticks need... 1.35v if that's what they need for 3600 Mhz.

You can use CPU-Z to get the timings and voltage required for 3600 Mhz, write them on a piece of paper.

AIDA 64 will also list the SPD profiles and will give you even more timing values than what CPU-z lists in its interface 

Once the voltage is locked to 1.35v or the level needed (use HWInfo or Aida64 to see the voltages and frequencies) try going in bios and set those timings manually. Maybe start with the timings from the SPD preset for 2933 Mhz or 3000 Mhz, before jumping straight to 3600 Mhz.

Enter the timings manuallly, you have them on your paper if you wrote them down. If you want, be conservative and use slower timings (ex if it says CL 16, enter CL18 or CL19 which is slower, if it boots and the timings stick, you can later refine them and reduce that to 16 or whatever)

You could start with as little as 2666 as even that is better than 2133 Mhz. Then go to 2933/3000 Mhz ... once you got it working at that, try 3200, then try 3600 ...

It should work, but maybe for some reason your motherboard just doesn't like those sticks, in which case even running at 3000 or 3200 is still a significant improvement over 2133

I am using an Asus X570

Sheesh, guess its been a while since I built a PC, but used to just stick them in and go haha

Didnt know I would have to manually get it configures to get the speed right.

I will look into those when I have time, sounds like a long night of rebooting.

Will have to setup my rig somewhere easier to get to and do the bios resets, right now I have to disconnect everything and pull it out fo the desk. :/

You can just enable xmp and it should work. If it doesn't, also set dram voltage to 1.36