OC causing BSoD

I recently took apart my computer to do a thorough cleaning and improvement on my cable management. After I put my computer back together I got in any game and soon after starting it would crash, this escalated to getting the BSoD quite frequently even when I was only trying to log into windows. The error codes on the BSoD were always changing each time and this became a cycle of restarting until I turned off the computer. I tried taking my hardware out to localize the problem but nothing worked, not even reseating my cpu or gpu or taking out all my connections and cleaning and putting them back in. I even did a factory reset on windows. killing all of my previous files.

I found that once I turned off my OC that it fixed the problem, but once I turned it back on the BSoD persisted, I've used OC on this rig for a while and want to continue. Is my motherboard partially broken or is this a software issue? I'd rather not have to get another motherboard but I'm guessing its what I'll have to do to get my OC back. 

Thank you for your help!

Parts list:

CPU: i5 6600k

GPU: GTX 1070

MOBO: Asus Z170-A

CPU Cooler: Kracken X61

Try to re-seat the memory.

Memory is likely the issue over the board unless the cpu is getting too hot, may also cause BSODs.

2 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

I found that once I turned off my OC that it fixed the problem, but once I turned it back on the BSoD persisted, I've used OC on this rig for a while and want to continue. Is my motherboard partially broken or is this a software issue? I'd rather not have to get another motherboard but I'm guessing its what I'll have to do to get my OC back

If the oc is the problem I would suggest starting your oc process from scratch. Reset all settings and than start again. Maybe some settings get messed up who knows.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

While hardware failure is the easiest to point the finger at due to recent cleaning you could help shed some light on the situation by locating your blue screen dump files. Usually located c:\Windows\memory.dump

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

While hardware failure is the easiest to point the finger at due to recent cleaning you could help shed some light on the situation by locating your blue screen dump files. Usually located c:\Windows\memory.dump

How do I fins that?

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Try to re-seat the memory.

Memory is likely the issue over the board unless the cpu is getting too hot, may also cause BSODs.

I have reseated the memory several times, could the memory be damaged and only react when I am overclocking?

2 hours ago, safarihunter said:

I have reseated the memory several times, could the memory be damaged and only react when I am overclocking?

Well yea that information is super useful!!!!!......... lol.

Does it happen only when you are overclocking? If so, then it's a result of unstable overclock.

Edit, I didn't clearly read your first post, I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well yea that information is super useful!!!!!......... lol.

Does it happen only when you are overclocking? If so, then it's a result of unstable overclock.

yes It's only when I'm overclocking, so what should I look for to see if it is an unstable OC? would taking the computer apart and putting it back together really cause that?

2 hours ago, safarihunter said:

yes It's only when I'm overclocking, so what should I look for to see if it is an unstable OC? would taking the computer apart and putting it back together really cause that?

Yes. for a few reasons.

Different temps (worse?)

Cpu Degradation.

Memory is delicate. you can not just drop it on the table and careful not to bang it off the case stuff like that. (not saying you did any of that....)

Or something changed in the profile?

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes. for a few reasons.

Different temps (worse?)

Cpu Degradation.

Memory is delicate. you can not just drop it on the table and careful not to bang it off the case stuff like that. (not saying you did any of that....)

Or something changed in the profile?

ok, so how should I go about fixing an unstable OC?

1 minute ago, safarihunter said:

ok, so how should I go about fixing an unstable OC?

If I was you, Id test the memory with everything at default first.

Then re do the overclock from scratch.

test the memory? like put it in one of my buddies rigs and test it that way?

Something such as Prime 95 as an example can be used to test RAM under load for errors.
If the sticks are having issues it will indicate such, however it won't tell you what the problem is aside from it exists.

I will say errors such as "IRQ not less or equal" when seen normally means you don't have enough voltage to your RAM to keep it stable, that particular error message meaning that in most cases.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If I was you, Id test the memory with everything at default first.

Then re do the overclock from scratch.

I suggested that as well but I’ve been ignored ? 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Lol it happens. 

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Something such as Prime 95 as an example can be used to test RAM under load for errors.
If the sticks are having issues it will indicate such, however it won't tell you what the problem is aside from it exists.

I will say errors such as "IRQ not less or equal" when seen normally means you don't have enough voltage to your RAM to keep it stable, that particular error message meaning that in most cases.

I agree to this 100%

thank you everyone that has helped! I will be trying this tonight.