Temperature Sensors For School Project

BRiteBak

Hi all!

My school is considering installing are conditioning in some of the classrooms but they need justification that it is necessary! A friend and I were tasked with building senors for around the school out of arduinos which are working great except for the fact that they are so god damn expensive for use with WIFI!

I have looked into using ninja blocks but the range really doesn't cut it for a school all made of brick and concrete flooring.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about doing this?

Please feel free to have a guess and send me something you saw on Reddit that one time even if you are no expert!

Cheers

BRiteBak

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

How many clients do you need? If it's like 5 you can always have them record data locally and then stitch it together manually.

Maybe consider using a raspberry pi with a temperature sensor? The raspberry pi doesn't have the best I/O but it's good enough to read the surrounding temps and send a simple signal when it hits a certain temp. I'm not a expert in hardware hacking but I can get things done and that's all I care about xD so maybe the things I will be suggesting won't be efficient but get the job done considering that I'm a programmer and not a hardware hacker should explain my lack of hardware experience.

How many clients do you need? If it's like 5 you can always have them record data locally and then stitch it together manually.

Thanks for the reply but I have actually already considered this and while it may be dramatically cheaper with 15 clients and them running for at least 3 years to show the improvement it isn't very feasible

• I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Maybe consider using a raspberry pi with a temperature sensor? The raspberry pi doesn't have the best I/O but it's good enough to read the surrounding temps and send a simple signal when it hits a certain temp. I'm not a expert in hardware hacking but I can get things done and that's all I care about xD so maybe the things I will be suggesting won't be efficient but get the job done considering that I'm a programmer and not a hardware hacker should explain my lack of hardware experience.

Hey thanks for the reply but unfortunately using local data collection isn't very feasible because of the scale and time period and due to the lack of wifi there is no way of pulling that data. I inquired about running LAN cables but the school was not impressed, 15 Ethernet cables installed is not on the cards

• I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Hey thanks for the reply but unfortunately using local data collection isn't very feasible because of the scale and time period and due to the lack of wifi there is no way of pulling that data. I inquired about running LAN cables but the school was not impressed, 15 Ethernet cables installed is not on the cards

You can always still buy a wireless dongle for extremely cheap, I believe that there are some available for only £10. Here's one and also I've seen many people talk about this working fine with a succulent pi

You can always still buy a wireless dongle for extremely cheap, I believe that there are some available for only £10. Here's one and also I've seen many people talk about this working fine with a succulent pi

This is something I will definitely be looking into seeing as with my 500aud budget I could get 7-8 of these setups going!

• I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals