Laptop freezes after closing a Game

Go to solution Solved by kla3,
10 hours ago, de_v_il said:

I undervolted it with -125mv 

I am looking at core temps

97c sounds high, it could easily spike into the 100/105 range and shut off.

Do you have the laptop flat on your desk? if yes, try to prop it up a bit to give it better ventilation underneath, that should help on temps!

but 97C is not so special for laptop temps I mean Macbooks and other gaming  Laptops run at the same temp and work

No, seriously, 97c is very hot! like i said before, not even my pretty thin razer blade 15" reaches that

Hello guys i have a problem, my laptop started to freeze randomly when i close a game(sometimes also in game) like R6, Destiny 2, Jedi Fallen Order, .... and I wanted to know if somebody of you has experience with an issue like this.

I have a HP Omen 15-ce083ng 

Intel i5-7300hq 

GTX 1060 Maxq

8 GB RAM

Windows 10

Use HWMonitor and check if the temps are alright (run a game at the same time): https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then you could run the HP hardware diagnostic just to make sure everything is fine: Reboot your laptop and hit F2 to enter into the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility. 

If everything hardware wise is alright, you'll need to troubleshoot the software side, I would start by updating the Nvidia video driver (check clean installation in the installer). 

Just now, Viper9 said:

Use HWMonitor and check if the temps are alright: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then you could run the HP hardware diagnostic just to make sure everything is fine: Reboot your laptop and hit F2 to enter into the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility. 

If everything hardware wise is alright, you'll need to troubleshoot the software side, I would start by updating the Nvidia video driver. 

I have the latest drivers and the highest temps are around 97  degree celsius on the CPU and around 85 on the GPU

Just now, de_v_il said:

I have the latest drivers and the highest temps are around 97  degree celsius on the CPU and around 85 on the GPU

97C when you're playing a game or idle?

12 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

97C when you're playing a game or idle?

When I am playing

Just now, de_v_il said:

When I am playing

You're really close to the junction temperature which is the maximum temp your CPU can handle (max temp is 100C). 

I would try to clean the CPU fan and the heatsink fins with compressed air. 

For more info: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97456/intel-core-i5-7300hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html 

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

You're really close to the junction temperature which is the maximum temp your CPU can handle (max temp is 100C). 

I would try to clean the CPU fan and the heatsink fins with compressed air. 

For more info: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97456/intel-core-i5-7300hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html 

That is the problem I cleaned everything but it did not work

2 minutes ago, de_v_il said:

That is the problem I cleaned everything but it did not work

Did you tried to replace the thermal paste has well? The fan is able to run at full speed when you're gaming?

Just now, Viper9 said:

Did you tried to replace the thermal paste has well? The fan is able to run at full speed when you're gaming?

I tried but I failed bc the heat sink is attached with small special screws and yeah the fans are spinning at full speed .

1 minute ago, de_v_il said:

I tried but I failed bc the heat sink is attached with small special screws and yeah the fans are spinning at full speed .

You could use the iFixit kit to do it (or a similar one). 

Yeah but my Problem is not the temp bc it can reach 100C but just reaches 97C so it would not help

7 minutes ago, de_v_il said:

Yeah but my Problem is not the temp bc it can reach 100C but just reaches 97C so it would not help

97C is really close to 100C, it's not normal that a CPU run that hot even in a laptop. You could try to run a stress test like Prime95 and check the temps, if your laptop freeze it's not related to your games. 

These are the steps I would try:

-Run a full test with the UEFI HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility (F2 at boot).

-Backup your files and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch (you can use the recovery partition F11, but I suggest creating a Windows 10 1909 media and then install all your drivers).

-Run a game and check your temps again and validate if it freeze or not. 

-Change your thermal paste. 

After that if you still have the same issues, pretty sure it's an hardware issue of some kind. 

7 hours ago, de_v_il said:

Those temps are super hot

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 1/3/2020 at 4:12 AM, genexis_x said:

Those temps are super hot

Yeah super hot but not too hot

4 hours ago, de_v_il said:

Yeah super hot but not too hot

I don't know why you're lying to yourself, it's too hot... 

97c is considered to hot even in a laptop! (Even my thin razer blade wont reach those temps)

What vcore is your chip running at while gaming?
Have you tried undervolting it with Throttlestop?

Are you reading core temps or package temps?

On 1/4/2020 at 4:21 PM, Viper9 said:

I don't know why you're lying to yourself, it's too hot... 

I am not lying to myself I dont know if you know that but 97C is not so special for laptop temps I mean Macbooks and other gaming  Laptops run at the same temp and work

On 1/4/2020 at 4:24 PM, kla3 said:

97c is considered to hot even in a laptop! (Even my thin razer blade wont reach those temps)

What vcore is your chip running at while gaming?
Have you tried undervolting it with Throttlestop?

Are you reading core temps or package temps?

97c sounds high, it could easily spike into the 100/105 range and shut off.

Do you have the laptop flat on your desk? if yes, try to prop it up a bit to give it better ventilation underneath, that should help on temps!

but 97C is not so special for laptop temps I mean Macbooks and other gaming  Laptops run at the same temp and work

No, seriously, 97c is very hot! like i said before, not even my pretty thin razer blade 15" reaches that