PC Won't Start, Motherboard gets power, but won't start

Go to solution Solved by 12860682321,

Found the problem, it was a bad GPU. Bought a new (used) one and everything is now working.

So my computer decided to turn off during the winter break and went I came back to see what was wrong with it I couldn't get it to start. The motherboard (ASUS Strix X-370-I) is getting power but when I press the power button nothing happens. I tried shorting the system connector and that didn't work. I refitted the RAM DIMMS to different spots, tried only one and that didn't work. I tried to see if the PSU was working by shorting pins 4 and 5 and saw the PSU's fan spin. I tried reconnecting all the power connectors and that didn't work. The only thing that is left is the motherboard/CPU.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Did you plug your PC into a surge protector or a UPS?  Any power surge could of damage it.  I had that same issue back in spring 2018.  Where I regret not plugging it into a Surge Protector.  And now I got a APC UPC battery backup plus.  My old motherboard, CPU, and PSU all died from it.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Yes, my entire battlestation is all connected to a surge protector. It didn't trip when I got back. 

Check the outlet or the circuit breaker.  Or do you have another PSU you can test your battlestation with?

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

I don't have access to the circuit breakers for my unit. Unfortunately, I don't have another PSU to try. I have to wait until Thursday until the closest computer store opens.

Man this sucks, can't play video games on New Years/New Decade. 

Update: I got my PC to boot after removing the GPU from the motherboard. Don't know if is the PCI-E slot is dead, GPU is dead, or the PSU is dead or dying. It is the oldest part of the system, over 7 years old now. The PSU is still a good PSU it's an XFX pro 750W that is 80+ gold rated. 

Will continue to debug although I don't have a spare PCI-E card to use. 

So, I replaced the PSU and it still doesn't power on. It powers on when I unplugged my GPU from the PSU AND connect the GPU to the PCI-E slot, but when I connect the GPU to the PSU it doesn't. Any suggestions to "reset" by GPU or anything else.

Found the problem, it was a bad GPU. Bought a new (used) one and everything is now working.