What mobo to get that is under/around 100 cad that's supports 3rd gen ryzen without having to update bios?

Looking to get r6 3600, and I cant find a good b450 mobo that doesnt need a bios update, and x570 is too expensive from my research.

Even a 3000 ready Max board will still need a bios update in the near future due to the newness of Zen 2. Get an MSI B450-A Pro (Max). Updating BIOS with the flashback button is stupid easy.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

7 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Max board will still need a bios update in the near future due to the newness of Zen 2

Nope.  MAX means the stock bios has fully native support for 3000 series just the same as the stock bios on X570.  Zen2 has been out for a while now bruh.

(That said, you're not wrong about bios flashback being pretty easy, I don't think the non-max board was all that much cheaper however, you're welcome to double check, but the MAX bios chip is 2x the size and supports more in-bios features and has a less-beta-like implementation, so I'd personally pay $10 more for it and to avoid caring about using bios flashback anyway).

2 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Even a 3000 ready Max board will still need a bios update in the near future due to the newness of Zen 2. Get an MSI B450-A Pro (Max). Updating BIOS with the flashback button is stupid easy.

And updating is possible with the 3rd gen ryzen right?

6 minutes ago, Smiles4Miles said:

And updating is possible with the 3rd gen ryzen right?

flash back button on the MSI motherboards that support it means this:

-you don't have to have a CPU or RAM even in the motherboard, just power from your power supply

-you put the bios file on a flash drive, name it per their directions (and make sure drive is formatted Fat32)

-you plug it into a special usb port on the motherboard and hit the "flashback button" near the usb ports on rear IO, and the motherboard sucks up that file and updates the bios itself magically.  It's a nice little IC they put in to allow for that.  Once that bios update is done you drop in your 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU and it posts, you go on using your computer happily ever after.

36 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

flash back button on the MSI motherboards that support it means this:

-you don't have to have a CPU or RAM even in the motherboard, just power from your power supply

-you put the bios file on a flash drive, name it per their directions (and make sure drive is formatted Fat32)

-you plug it into a special usb port on the motherboard and hit the "flashback button" near the usb ports on rear IO, and the motherboard sucks up that file and updates the bios itself magically.  It's a nice little IC they put in to allow for that.  Once that bios update is done you drop in your 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU and it posts, you go on using your computer happily ever after.

Okay, thanks.

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

Nope.  MAX means the stock bios has fully native support for 3000 series just the same as the stock bios on X570.  Zen2 has been out for a while now bruh.

(That said, you're not wrong about bios flashback being pretty easy, I don't think the non-max board was all that much cheaper however, you're welcome to double check, but the MAX bios chip is 2x the size and supports more in-bios features and has a less-beta-like implementation, so I'd personally pay $10 more for it and to avoid caring about using bios flashback anyway).

I'm aware of the age, I bought mine on release day and to be fair my bios is still Pre-ABBA because it works perfectly and had no reason to update. I can just see possible reason to patch the bios for  something like the Destiny 2 bug again. I expect within the next 6 months there will be something worthwhile baked into a new BIOS.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I bought a Asus B450M TUF for $87 CAD during the Boxing week sales at a local computer shop. I was surprised to see it having a "AMD Ryzen 3000 desktop ready" sticker on it, but some other B450 brands they had were also Ryzen 3000 ready. I'm guessing the shop opened all of the bios and updated to the an early Ryzen 3000 bios that supported all generations if the manufactures had a stable bios.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Sometimes I wonder if "3000 ready" is just a hardware level compatibility, and the BIOS still needs updating.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

11 minutes ago, asand1 said:

"3000 ready" is just a hardware level compatibility

If I recall correctly, a "Ready" sticker on box means "what's in this box is good to go, we did it for you".

"Ryzen 3000 Compatible" or something to that effect (3rd Gen supported), is maybe what you're thinking of.

20 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Would this mobo also work? https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=140923 I just checked, and it has red on it, which I don't want on canada computers. So this also has max on it, and it's black.

52 minutes ago, Smiles4Miles said:

Would this mobo also work? https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=140923 I just checked, and it has red on it, which I don't want on canada computers. So this also has max on it, and it's black.

Looks like they have the wrong product link to Canada Computers, that's a whole other motherboard called the Gaming Plus Max.

This doesn't have the red: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78787

And is has better VRM than the mATX board you linked (it would work for the 3600, but it's not as good long-term for OC'ing or higher Ryzen CPUs).

5 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Looks like they have the wrong product link to Canada Computers, that's a whole other motherboard called the Gaming Plus Max.

And is has better VRM than the mATX board you linked (it would work for the 3600, but it's not as good long-term for OC'ing or higher Ryzen CPUs).

Why does it max at 2666 mhz for ram? And should I just bite the bullet and get the x570?

It also says "Supports Stock Clocked RAM up to DDR4 2667: also supports Overclocked RAM up to DDR4 4133 (OC))."

From what I've seen so far is that by default it usually sets the RAM to 2666MHz until you set it the XMP profile or manually set manufactures rated speed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

7 minutes ago, Smiles4Miles said:

Why does it max at 2666 mhz for ram?

It doesn't.  You interpreted it wrong.  That's a function of what the base RAM speed is for 2nd Gen Ryzen.  The base RAM speed for 3rd Gen Ryzen is 3200.  What RAM are you planing to use anyway?

Just now, alyen said:

It also says "Supports Stock Clocked RAM up to DDR4 2667: also supports Overclocked RAM up to DDR4 4133 (OC))."

From what I've seen so far is that by default it usually sets the RAM to 2666MHz until you set it the XMP profile or manually set manufactures rated speed.

Ah okay. So it's nothing to worry about?

Just now, Smiles4Miles said:

Ah okay. So it's nothing to worry about?

Well what RAM do you have?

7 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

It doesn't.  You interpreted it wrong.  That's a function of what the base Ram speed is for 2nd Gen Ryzen.  The base RAM speed for 3rd Gen Ryzen is 3200.  What RAM are you planing to use anyway?

3200. And I am not planning to overclock my ryzen. (For previous reply you did)

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

Well what RAM do you have?

G.Skill 3200mhz

I have a 3rd gen Ryzen

I use MSI's B450 Gaming Plus mobo. No BIOS update needed.

LTT has a video where he uses this MOBO as well, I believe. 

6 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

So the one I linked will work? If not, will this? https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=123813

3 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

That one doesn't have bios flashback.  There is no guarantee Ryzen 3rd gen will boot unless Canada makes a guarantee they updated the bios first.

Both wont work?